Crawling Moss on plasma

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi I have what seems to be a fault known as crawling moss on my panasonic plasma.Does anyone know what causes this and is there any fix?

There is an example of this on picture 4 of the link below.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...e/2826881.html

Thanks

oldleodensian

Oct 7, 2008
Visit site
I too have noticed something similar on my Panasonic TH37PX80, usually when watching DVDs of older tv programmes that were filmed using video film. My DVD player is the Pioneer DVLX50. It is noticeable in large dark areas and I have hitherto assumed it to be a limit of the source material. I have also noticed the "mosquito" effect on large areas of light colour, again only when watching certain tv programmes. Am I corect in thinking that these artefacts represent a simple lack of detail in the source image, something only noticeable when images originally recorded for the "small screen" are now being watched on much bigger screens??

A

Anonymous

The fault I have is more on lighter tones and is hazy pinkish effects.I tried the contrast,brightness, colour but this doesnt make much difference.It looks like crawling moss effect but could it be another type of fault.I have panasonic 42px600.

It happens on dvd and cable.

sc1

Sep 4, 2008
Visit site
I also have a panasonic plasma and have recently begun to notice this "pink haze" effect on, in particular fleshtones. It is strange that the linked website has a picture from 24 as this is the only series I notice it on. I had never watched this programme until very recently and have found the dvds appalling for artefacts and hazing, The pink haze goes if I don't upscale but the picture is then very grainy. Have you noticed the effect on all programmes?

I had thought my plasma had developed a fault but now think it might just be these discs.

A

Anonymous

I seem to notice it a lot on CSI dvd's.I will try different discs and also HD sources and see if the effect gets better or worse.

A

Anonymous

I have a Pannasonic plasma and have started getting the "pink" fleshtones since i used the THX optimizer dvd and glasses. I only get it on some channels though. HD looks great (just watched Heroes from last night looked fantastic ) but I put Sky News on and the skin tones of news readers looks un natural.

If I re adjust the picture settings it looks worse on HD channels so I leave it alone and put up with a red faced Kay Burley !

A

Anonymous

I have experienced a similar problem on my TH42px60, I get a green and purple snake like effect. I have been in contact with panasonic support team via there webesite and was asked to send pictures of the fault, have received an email today advising to take the set to nearest service centre where a new D board will be fitted, I have had to pay £50 handling but panasonic are covering labour and parts.

I would certainlt recomend contacting panasonic as it does seem to be quite common.

A

Anonymous

SO plasmas arn't the be all, end all. After all! You should make sure the tv is not in a moist and shady place, or a south facing slope. and definitely not on the north side of a tree.

A

Anonymous

I had a familliar problum with my panasonic plasma th-pv60ey which got worse over time,turned out to be the digital processing board which had to be replaced(280 euro) to be compleated.

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
emotion-5.gif
I had this as well and found a good compost helped.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
glebe:I seem to notice it a lot on CSI dvd's.I will try different discs and also HD sources and see if the effect gets better or worse.

i know what you mean its particularly bad - i think it must be to do with the mastering of these discs rather than the sets - the grey walls in the interview rooms being particularly bad

A

Anonymous

Got my TH42px60 back from repair last week, has had a new D board fitted which is the casue of the problem.

Its now better than new with no moss or snakes any where in site, definately worth speaking to panasonic customer services.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
glebe:Hi I have what seems to be a fault known as crawling moss on my panasonic plasma.Does anyone know what causes this and is there any fix?

There is an example of this on picture 4 of the link below.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...e/2826881.html

Thanks

I think you have to be careful not to automatically assume its a faulty set. From what I can gather different manufacturers use different processing/algorithms/dithering which can have the effect you're describing, most obvious in dark areas of the picture.

Assuming it did'nt suddenly start I would guess its just your telly's processing/lack of it. Another example is colour gradation and gamut range. Panasonics excell in that area but have so far been behind companies such as pioneer in the processing stakes. They all have their unique faults and strengths.

I'm no expert but have gathered a bit of information since starting this HD marlaky. Just don't quote me on it.

TRENDING THREADS