Crates

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
So, I got myself some crates, after my DIY ones fell apart. It's full sized, as in covering the entire LP.

Are there any concerns if I pack the crates too tightly, as in with very little room left to spare?

priam said:
So, I got myself some crates, after my DIY ones fell apart. It's full sized, as in covering the entire LP.

Are there any concerns if I pack the crates too tightly, as in with very little room left to spare?

Presumably these are used to store your LPs. The only real issue with packing them too tight is damage to the cardboard LP covers when trying to insert them, if this is what you meant.

I agree with Al. They must be stored upright, not too warm or damp, to avoid warping. I’ve got some stored for over forty years like that with no warping. The test for tightness is if you can just slip one LP out of the bunch without dislodging them all.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
nopiano said:
I agree with Al. They must be stored upright, not too warm or damp, to avoid warping. I’ve got some stored for over forty years like that with no warping. The test for tightness is if you can just slip one LP out of the bunch without dislodging them all.

Mine were in the loft for about 20 years, hot in summer, freezing cold and damp in winter, can't see any damge or warping. Tight packing should be fine as long as you can get them out easily.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The only negative impact I've noticed with tightly packing records is any dust on the record or particles from the inner sleeve gets crushed into the grooves, leading to ticks and pops which are legion to get rid of without a wet clean.

MajorFubar said:
The only negative impact I've noticed with tightly packing records is any dust on the record or particles from the inner sleeve gets crushed into the grooves, leading to ticks and pops which are legion to get rid of without a wet clean.

Point taken but one would hope, after being played, they shouldn't have too much in the way of dust on them and if stored in good sleeves.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts