Couple of AirPort express questions from an Apple noobie...

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Hi folks,

I have previously avoided Apple products like the plague, but now I feel ready to move over to the dark side
emotion-5.gif
Only in a small way though, the product that has my attention is the AirPort express. I'm just looking for a way to stream music from my PC's to my hi-fi, without involving any games consoles!

I'm not terribly sure of the AirPort's compatibility and operation, so have a couple of questions if anyone would be so kind?
emotion-1.gif

1-Does the Airport connect via your existing router, or does it connect directly to the PC you are streaming music from? I have a PC which is connected to my current router via ethernet cable rather than wireless, so I'm wondering if this would pose a problem? Apologies if this is a daft question, but it's late and I've been on too many Mac forums!

2-Can the AirPort receive music from various PC's, or just the one? I also have a (Windows) laptop connected to my router wirelessly.

3-Are there any official ways to control the system remotely? Or would I need something like Salling Clicker?

4-If I was planning to add several AirPort Express, in various rooms, would it be beneficial to replace my existing router with an Airport Extreme? Or would it be simpler to avoid Apple altogether and go the Squeezebox route?!
emotion-1.gif

5-Are there any other DAC's I should be considering other that the Beresford (ie cheap!)

Thanking you kindly
emotion-2.gif

John Duncan

Ooo lots of questions
emotion-2.gif
I'm talking from a Mac perspective, your mileage may vary (and almost certainly will, if my experience of Vista is anything to go by)

1-Does the Airport connect via your existing router, or does it connect directly to the PC you are streaming music from? I have a PC which is connected to my current router via ethernet cable rather than wireless, so I'm wondering if this would pose a problem? Apologies if this is a daft question, but it's late and I've been on too many Mac forums!

Either, though if you want the AE to be wireless, your router will need to be wireless as well, obviously. Once it's set up, it will just be 'on the network', and anything else 'on the network' will be able to see it.

2-Can the AirPort receive music from various PC's, or just the one? I also have a (Windows) laptop connected to my router wirelessly.

See above.

3-Are there any official ways to control the system remotely? Or would I need something like Salling Clicker?

Official as in Apple - no. You can get (cheap) software for the (expensive) iPhone or iPod Touch to do it.

4-If I was planning to add several AirPort Express, in various rooms, would it be beneficial to replace my existing router with an Airport Extreme?

tbh, I'm not sure where the 'n' wireless standard is going, as it's not agreed yet, so you may need an actual airport extreme base station to get an airport express-compatible 'n' speed network. Theoretically though, any 'n' speed router ought to work. I only have 'g' so can't comment.

Or would it be simpler to avoid Apple altogether and go the Squeezebox route?!

Well it is more flexible, certainly, and for the incremental cost (by the time you add a DAC and work out remote control), you might find it a better idea - I would suspect that it sounds better than a cooking Airport Express, since as you may have seen in an earlier thread, its default sound quality is noticeably inferior to a good CD player, even with lossless - despite initial very favourable impressions with classical, with voices it's a bit woolly. I am looking to augment it with a DAC soonest (and now think I might have been better off with a Squeezebox in the first place).

5-Are there any other DAC's I should be considering other that the Beresford (ie cheap!)

There are a few on eBay which I like the look of, but all from China and of indeterminate quality, other than from feedback. At least the Beresford has positive real user reviews here. Am considering a Moodlab Concept, but even that's a bit dear.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Either, though if you want the AE to be wireless, your router will need to be wireless as well, obviously.
Not true, I have a non-wireless router and two Airport Expresses in my flat. I connect one AE up to the router using a wired connection and then use this to create a wireless network. The other AE hooks into this wireless network and extends the coverage to my bedroom. No need for an Airport Extreme.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Ah, okay, I see what you mean. Well, if you can run a long network cable from your router to the AE so it's near your hi-fi to connect up or vice versa, you wouldn't need the wireless router or the second AE assuming your PC was close enough to connect to the wireless network.
But you're right, it's probably easier just to have a wireless router...
emotion-4.gif

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Thanks very much for the replies folks, much appreciated!

I quite like the look of the Squeezebox Duet too, especially the idea of having receivers in each room, I guess in much the same was as I was planning to have an AE in each room. The advantage of the Duet, for me, is the remote. The disadvantage is that the missus is a bit of a technophobe, so is pushing for an itunes related solution!

John Duncan

She'll thank you for it in the end, when she has to go into another room to change tracks. Unless the PC's in the same room of course.

You could consider an Apple TV, which is the same kind of deal (inter alia), but plugs into the telly for browsing purposes......

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I'd considered the Apple TV, but I read somewhere that music has to be stored locally on the Atv, rather then streamed from elsewhere? AI'd also read that any purchases made on the Atv are stuck there, which would also be a bit of a problem.

I'd also thought that with the price of the Atv, I'd be better off just buying a Mac Mini. I'm off to Jersey soon, and the Apple store there is pretty cheap compared to my local Glasgow Apple store. Good ole Channel Islands (lack of) tax!

I'm still studying the Duet too, and it seems very impressive, and seems sufficiently user-friendly. I presume that one remote can be used with various receivers, as you move about the house?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts