Countries and power infrastructure

AJM1981

And nuances that are rarely made.

This might need an introduction.

Some audiophiles really go into cables and power management devices (for example PS Audio stuff) . Something which is either 100% necessary or not at all.

When speaking about any studio or living, a user doesn't want to hear stationary hum or noise or other interference in a system during playback. Shielded cables and other aides are for that, they are simply interference removers and not there for improving refinements in tone or bring out hidden details.

About the counties
I currently live in The Netherlands and not to brag about anything because there are other problems, but our power grid including the end user infrastructure in homes is probably "among" the best. Especially in relatively newer homes (I will exclude ones that still have "ancient" meters and wiring). The chain and care for detail in grounding, shielding and safety is generally great.

However, I have been living in countries overseas which have terrible electrical infrastructure at both at transport level and indoor. Resulting in instability (lights slightly dimming often) , hum related to bad grounding, short power outs, products that reach their end of lifecycle most likely earlier etc.

In the Netherlands I can be quite random with cables and never hear any slightest noise or hum unless it is faulty product. I would never purchase aides here that are made to improve anything related to what does not need improvement. I also consider people who buy anything like that more or less here believers and spenders who throw money at everything they come across. If you want to buy a cable here just for aesthetic reasons I would say it is still a better reason than buying one for audible reasons.

In some countries I would probably do the exact opposite knowing it does make an audible difference by direct comparison. I would like to stabilize the signal, kill audible interference with shielded cables etc.

Given the two mindsets the conclusion in my opinion is that audiophiles could be right according to the place they live or simply wrong for the same reasons.

Also, the shared experiences from the first group might encourage a second group that doesn't need those aides (long live the internet) . If there is something to fix, buy what does the trick. If there is nothing to fix, don't do it for comforting reasons.

Wonder about your opinions. :)

D

Deleted member 160668

There will be a myriad of answers to this thread most probably.

I've just had a full electrical rewire and as part of this have specced in a dedicated mains supply to the rest of the house.

I am yet to set my kit back up, but I intend to try this with and without my Isotek power conditioner and aftermarket cables to see if I can hear a difference. I'm hoping I may be able to now move these on as unecessary.

As for variations across countries I couldn't say. I'm in UK.

I'd suggest to anyone interested in power stuff let your ears guide you - if you hear a difference, great. If not, then no need to go down that rabbit hole.

No more comments from me on this, I'll leave the inevitable bunfight for the rest of you.

AJM1981

There will be a myriad of answers to this thread most probably.

I've just had a full electrical rewire and as part of this have specced in a dedicated mains supply to the rest of the house.

I am yet to set my kit back up, but I intend to try this with and without my Isotek power conditioner and aftermarket cables to see if I can hear a difference. I'm hoping I may be able to now move these on as unecessary.

As for variations across countries I couldn't say. I'm in UK.

I'd suggest to anyone interested in power stuff let your ears guide you - if you hear a difference, great. If not, then no need to go down that rabbit hole.

No more comments from me on this, I'll leave the inevitable bunfight for the rest of you.

Thanks for your reply. Testing things out is never a bad thing on its own.

How is the quality of infrastructure in the UK? I've heard you have well designed wall outlets. Are there any general or regional problems with for example dimming lights or comparible issues?

In the UK it is quite variable by location in my experience. For example if you’re near industrial plant, or distant from a substation, your power may vary widely.

The completely different standards of wiring and earthing in Europe and the US means that comparisons can’t sensibly be made across continents, imo. I’d never choose mains products from US brands like Audioquest, when there’s Puritan or Chord here, for example.

Many issues ‘solved’ by the various devices are self-inflicted by our obsession with wall-wart and similar devices. We have probably a dozen here: dect phones, iPad chargers, laptop charger, two Echos, two Pure radios, two printers, ISP router, doorbell, burglar alarm, led lights - the house is riddled with them. Thankfully I’ve ditched the ‘homeplug’ thingies a while ago with a wireless TV. Twenty years ago I doubt we had any of these!

Last edited:
Reactions: AJM1981

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts