Counting Crows and Nirvana - MFSL Remasters

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
These are the second and third MFSL (Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs) remasters that i've bought, after Faith No More's - Angel Dust.

It seems that the standards of the remasters are a little inconsistent, for whatever reason that may be.

Nirvana's - 'In Utero' sounds absolutely amazing. The whole disc sounds clear as hell, without losing any of it's attack and punch. Kurt's voice is completely distortion free. It sounds so much better than the original.

Counting Crows - 'August and Everything After', on the other hand, i'm struggling with. This is another album, along with Pearl Jam 'Ten' and Soundgarden 'BadMotorFinger', that i've grown up with and know intimately, and i'm listening so closely but I can't tell any difference between this and the original release. The guitars are MAYBE a little clearer, but that's it. Not worth £20 odd quid.

Hopefully the two u2 i'm getting, 'The Unforgettable Fire' and 'The Joshua Tree', will be of the high standard of 'Angel Dust' and 'In Utero'

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty:
These are the second and third MFSL (Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs) remasters that i've bought, after Faith No More's - Angel Dust.

It seems that the standards of the remasters are a little inconsistent, for whatever reason that may be.

Nirvana's - 'In Utero' sounds absolutely amazing. The whole disc sounds clear as hell, without losing any of it's attack and punch. Kurt's voice is completely distortion free. It sounds so much better than the original.

Counting Crows - 'August and Everything After', on the other hand, i'm struggling with. This is another album, along with Pearl Jam 'Ten' and Soundgarden 'BadMotorFinger', that i've grown up with and know intimately, and i'm listening so closely but I can't tell any difference between this and the original release. The guitars are MAYBE a little clearer, but that's it. Not worth £20 odd quid.

Hopefully the two u2 i'm getting, 'The Unforgettable Fire' and 'The Joshua Tree', will be of the high standard of 'Angel Dust' and 'In Utero'

I am pretty choosy when I buy audiophile pressings, MFSL I have to say are my faves so would be interested to know how good the U2s are, love The Joshua Tree especially as I have an original copy. As you say for the money you expect great consistancy for the money and to be fair MFSL rarely come up with duds but nobody's perfect I suppose....

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mitch65:bretty:

I am pretty choosy when I buy audiophile pressings, MFSL I have to say are my faves so would be interested to know how good the U2s are, love The Joshua Tree especially as I have an original copy. As you say for the money you expect great consistancy for the money and to be fair MFSL rarely come up with duds but nobody's perfect I suppose....

hi mitch,

I should have the U2s in a couple of days. I'll let you know how I find them. I've got high hopes for 'The unforgettable fire' especially.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
You can get some of them directly from the MFSL website, others that are out of print, like the u2, nirvana and counting crows you have to hunt around a bit for. Mine were from E-bay. If you google MFSL, quite a few sales outlets pop up.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I just had a look on e-bay. there's 70 odd on there today. Just search for MFSL. Brace yourselves for some of the prices though. There are some pretty high ones today!

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I lean towards Audio Affair, at least its free delivery. I look at the MFSL website on occasion for new releases but the delivery charges are through the roof!!

I have a few Norah Jones, Peter Gabriel stuff on Classic Records but consistency with this label can be hit and miss but when they're good they are very good.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mitch65:
I lean towards Audio Affair, at least its free delivery. I look at the MFSL website on occasion for new releases but the delivery charges are through the roof!!

I have a few Norah Jones, Peter Gabriel stuff on Classic Records but consistency with this label can be hit and miss but when they're good they are very good.

I'd like to pick up some original pressings of Gabriels stuff. His cds sound great, I bet his vinyl does, too.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty:mitch65:

I'd like to pick up some original pressings of Gabriels stuff. His cds sound great, I bet his vinyl does, too.

You are more than welcome to my first copy of 'So' as I have a Classic Records copy as well, interestingly Gabriel embraced hi-def recording techniques quite early on and judging by my vinyl version of 'Scratch My Back' I think there maybe something in this..

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
That's super nice of you Mitch! I'd have to give you something for it, though.

You have 'Scratch My Back'? I thought I was the only one who likes that album! The CD sounds fantastic, i'm betting the vinyl does too, right?

By the way, I paid my first visit to 'Lock Up Rock' today. I went in for a quick look. An hour later, I walked out with 8 albums.

I bought:

Sting - Dream Of The Blue Turtles

Fleetwood Mac - Tango In The Night (a better version than what I have already)

Phil Collins - Face Value

Kate Bush - This Sensual world

Kate Bush - Hounds Of Love

Tanita Tikaram - Ancient Heart

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms

And, i'm really excited about this one:

The Doors - Weird Scenes From Inside The Goldmine. It's a 2 disc compilation from 1972.

All 8 albums for £30. Bargain.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty:
That's super nice of you Mitch! I'd have to give you something for it, though.

You have 'Scratch My Back'? I thought I was the only one who likes that album! The CD sounds fantastic, i'm betting the vinyl does too, right?

By the way, I paid my first visit to 'Lock Up Rock' today. I went in for a quick look. An hour later, I walked out with 8 albums.

I bought:

Sting - Dream Of The Blue Turtles

Fleetwood Mac - Tango In The Night (a better version than what I have already)

Phil Collins - Face Value

Kate Bush - This Sensual world

Kate Bush - Hounds Of Love

Tanita Tikaram - Ancient Heart

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms

And, i'm really excited about this one:

The Doors - Weird Scenes From Inside The Goldmine. It's a 2 disc compilation from 1972.

All 8 albums for £30. Bargain.

Scratch my Back I think is one of those albums that just grows on you and no, I don't want anything for the So album - I will never bother to sell it so it might as well go to a good home (anyway I cannot remember what condition it's in) so you'll be doing me a favour.

Well done on the above, bargain price!
emotion-2.gif
Keep listing your wants as I do have some duplicates which, like So, really need to leave me and get used

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Well, thanks a lot, Mitch. That would be great.

I'm working my way through the new discs. Tanita Tikaram is on. It's now taken the mantle of best ive heard. The disc is mint, and there's no hiss, crackle or pops. It was £2 from Steve's 5 for £10 section. Great value.

It's addictive, this vinyl buying, aint it Mitch? I've gotta ease up for a while now. I've given my wallet a battering over the last two weeks!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts