Could someone please give me some advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello everyone. Please could someone give me some advise re my hifi system, because its starting to annoy me!

Basically I've been finding myself wanting 'more' from the sound, especially when turned up loud. There just doesn't seem to be any.....ooomph and energy. I'm being very vague here aren't I?!

I'm running a Sony SCD-XE670 super-audio cd player, Marantz PM-4001 amp & Mission M33i floorstanders. Van Den Hul The Name cables and QED Silver Anniversary XT on the speakers.

What can I do to give my music more 'energy'? I was considering upgrading to the Marantz CD-6002 player...or what about bi-wiring? Is my amp to blame? (I hope not cause its pretty new!).

I would go to a hifi store and play around with some kit, but there aren't any stores nearby and its not really possible for me to travel and find some.

Does anyone have any ideas please???

Steve.

A

Anonymous

Do you have any other sources you could try onthe amplifier, other than SACD? iPod maybe? Borrow a friend's CD player?

T

the record spot

I think the source might be questionable in as much as - if memory serves - the source could be a little safe sounding according to some reviews.

If the budget is in line with the rest of the gear, you could do a lot worse than the recent award winning CD player from Marantz at £270, or Cambridge Audio's evergreen Azur 640C in the £250-£300 bracket. There's also the secondhand market where you could look to pick up a well treated used player which once would've commanded a higher budget and this leads you into better gear but at a fraction of the RRP. Or TSP these days.

Doubt your cables are to blame - VDH The Name is a good substantial cable (I use it as the link between my Linn Mimik and Marantz PM-6010 KI-Sig and it's got beefy written all over it!) and the speaker cable is well respected.

A

Anonymous

the cable is ok but not the weightiest around.I keep saying it, but dnm reson mark 2 is a far better cable than the qed silver anniversary or xt. It has a weightier more substantial sound while being quite neutral and highly detailed overall. If you hear it next to the qed you will want some.It will add more body to the sound which may help a bit. I am not familiar with the cd player i am afraid.

A

Anonymous

Hmmm ok, I'm getting the feeling from those replies then that it could potentially be the cd player. At least non of the other kit was greatly criticised. I'll try and hunt one down to borrow first then...might be a bit hard though cause being at the ripe old age of 21 all my mates seem to be more interested in spending their hard earned cash on beer, rather than sexy hifi haha.
Ooh well lets see what I find.......

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Put the hifi in the bedroom, invite a few chicks round and then bring out the Barry White CDs, your friends will soon understand

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JoelSim"]Put the hifi in the bedroom, invite a few chicks round and then bring out the Barry White CDs, your friends will soon understand[/quote]
Hahahaha

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts