Could better speaker stands help tighten up bass?

robdmarsh

Generally I'm extremely happy with the sound of my system. I've recently been listening to an old favourite of mine, Fleet Foxes' Helplessness Blues and the close harmonies and complex instrumentation sound sublime, I'd forgotten what a fantastic sounding and moving album it is. There is, however, on occasion just a hint overly ripe bass bloom or overhang. It's not enough to make me consider any major changes - I think my amp and speakers are great and most music I hear with them sounds very well-balanced. The speakers are also just right size-wise for the space. My stands, however, are not fillable and I was wondering if filled stands (and maybe a heavier model of stands) might give me a more rigid platform for the speakers and help tighten up the occasional bass bloom I'm hearing. :unsure:

Longchops

Oct 15, 2020
Visit site
Generally I'm extremely happy with the sound of my system. I've recently been listening to an old favourite of mine, Fleet Foxes' Helplessness Blues and the close harmonies and complex instrumentation sound sublime, I'd forgotten what a fantastic sounding and moving album it is. There is, however, on occasion just a hint overly ripe bass bloom or overhang. It's not enough to make me consider any major changes - I think my amp and speakers are great and most music I hear with them sounds very well-balanced. The speakers are also just right size-wise for the space. My stands, however, are not fillable and I was wondering if filled stands (and maybe a heavier model of stands) might give me a more rigid platform for the speakers and help tighten up the occasional bass bloom I'm hearing. :unsure:

Good solid stands are a great investment. Filling them full of sand or putting them on paving slabs could help with the isolation and tone down some of the resonance too.

But be aware that what you are probably also hearing is the room. Anything below 40-45Hz is going to start causing room boom. 4 bass traps in each corner can make a massive difference to that and are the first place to start but is obviously not very aesthetically pleasing.

If you have a hard wooden floor or a small room for instance though then sand in your stands or bass traps is probably the least of your worries....

Reactions: WayneKerr

robdmarsh

No doubt you've experimented with positioning Rob - not rear ported are they?
(Things that will be more influential than stand type).
Assuming there's no wobble, your stands are probably rigid enough.
Yes, they have small rear ports but I've got them well away from the walls behind. I don't think I hear port noise and I don't think I need to fill the ports. As for room acoustics, I think they are quite good. I'm not going to put in acoustic treatments, they are ugly and this slight bloom is not that much of a problem.
These speakers generally work very well with the environment, much better than Dynaudio Emit 20 and Sonus Faber Lumina ii which I tried last year. I might try fillable stands in the future.

Longchops

Oct 15, 2020
Visit site
Yes, they have small rear ports but I've got them well away from the walls behind. I don't think I hear port noise and I don't think I need to fill the ports. As for room acoustics, I think they are quite good. I'm not going to put in acoustic treatments, they are ugly and this slight bloom is not that much of a problem.
These speakers generally work very well with the environment, much better than Dynaudio Emit 20 and Sonus Faber Lumina ii which I tried last year. I might try fillable stands in the future.

If they are rear ported then you will have room noise for sure, it's just the way they work. I know B&W supply bungs with their speakers as a means of room control so you can tame the bass, perhaps the manufacturer of your speakers did too, check the box. If not you can buy them cheaply. Get ones with removable centres if you can

Certainly easier to try than pouring sand everywhere and will probably make a lot more difference too tbh....

You might even look at some wooden ones..... :cool:

Longchops

Oct 15, 2020
Visit site
Worth a try.
I use Atacama SE24 filled with sand, about as massive, heavy (and ugly) as you can get - stood on paving slabs.

Rear ports caused a one-note bass so bad for me, that I had to reject some (otherwise good) Proac speakers.

You should have used use the patented Atacama Atabites as filling. They are delta shaped to interlock together and are more effective in practise than sand, allowing your speakers to reach their full sonic potential.

:tearsofjoy:

Most heavy stands should suffice.

Sadly, hi-fi tends to be a compromise, regardless how good your system is or what it costs.

Unless you have squillions to sound proof a dedicated listening room, there's always going to be subtle foibles.

Gray

You should have used use the patented Atacama Atabites as filling.
Bought the stands yonks ago, I think I'm right in saying the SE24 was their first.
Don't think Atabites were around back then - but the sand compacted down enough to make them virtually unliftable ;)
(was careful not to drop them......3 years later they'd have found a skeleton with his foot spiked to the floorboards 💀)

Reactions: Longchops

Fergus

Feb 21, 2023
Visit site
They’re already really tall. What kind of stands should I be considering for them, what would be the benefit? I’ve always assumed they were floorstand speakers

Longchops

Oct 15, 2020
Visit site
They’re already really tall. What kind of stands should I be considering for them, what would be the benefit? I’ve always assumed they were floorstand speakers
If they are stand mounts then put them on stands.

Tweeters should be at the same height as your ears, and both speakers should be angled to point about a foot behind your head.

If you want a demonstration of what a huge difference this makes, Sit on your chair and then slowly rise up and sit down a few times while the music is playing, Can you hear the treble changing?

If the speakers are designed be placed on the floor then what you may actually need is a new chair thats slightly higher or lower to get your ears in the optimum position.

Even tall standmounts, if true standmounts, will have sonic benefits from dedicated stands. They come in shapes and sizes, wooden and metal.

The benefit of stands is they minimize extra-terretorial vibrations or resonance.

Where are they located now? Bookcase, on the floor...?

Reactions: Al ears

Fergus

Feb 21, 2023
Visit site
If they are stand mounts then put them on stands.

Tweeters should be at the same height as your ears, and both speakers should be angled to point about a foot behind your head.

If you want a demonstration of what a huge difference this makes, Sit on your chair and then slowly rise up and sit down a few times while the music is playing, Can you hear the treble changing?

If the speakers are designed be placed on the floor then what you may actually need is a new chair thats slightly higher or lower to get your ears in the optimum position.
Tweeters are head height when sitting down

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts