Cost Saving Turntable Mat

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
The stock felt mat on my Pro-Ject Debut III turntable is annoying the hell out of me, and causing static issues, so I'd like to replace it.

Looking what is available on the market, they seem to be very over priced for what they are. Can anybody recommend one that does the job of being anti-static and help better isolate the vibration from the cartridge, but cheap in price.

I'd also be happy to attempt to make one myself, if the materials are readily available.

T

the record spot

Picked up a Ringmat six months or so back which clocked in around £50. Bit of a difference in sound quality and better over the standard Rega mat, but not £50-worth better IMO...!

A

Anonymous

Replaced the felt mat on my Pro-ject Xpression 2 with the cork ma. Much better static wise.

Che1

Feb 26, 2009
Visit site
Hi Chris,

Was it you that was having trouble with the cartridge touching the records like my debut iii? Did you get it sorted out?

A

Anonymous

Hey, yes it was me. I ended up reducing the tracking force to 1.5 grams and it tracks perfectly now. I was told by Pro-Ject directly that the cartridge will happily track down to 1.3, but that is on the lower limit. I just found it to sounds best at 1.5.

I'm actually changing the cart to an Ortofon 2M red very soon, so it'll all be reset anyway.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

I think I will go for Pro-Ject's own cork mat. Seems reasonable at ~£10.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Chris_J:
Hey, yes it was me. I ended up reducing the tracking force to 1.5 grams and it tracks perfectly now. I was told by Pro-Ject directly that the cartridge will happily track down to 1.3, but that is on the lower limit. I just found it to sounds best at 1.5.

I'm actually changing the cart to an Ortofon 2M red very soon, so it'll all be reset anyway.

I'd be very interested to hear what you think about the 2M Red

ÿ

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
emotion-11.gif
forget cork and felt, spent 35 years playing with turntables, SILICONE, you dont get static, also damps the platter, if you have a metal platter try the finger nail flick test.

remove the mat, flick. note the tone, fit silicone mat, flick again, note the ring is now completely different. much lower.

last, get your self a decent record clamp, i use a nagaoka clamp, but michell, pro-ject do them.

srm-tech.co.uk for a decent silicone mat, £29.99 + delivery... worth every penny...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts