Cost of Vinyl, cost of vinyl setup

jonboywalton75

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
I have these :-
Rega planar 1 At VM95E Rega Fono mini,
Marantz NR1200
Focal 714s Yamaha Ns sw050 sub
Another thread got me thinking if a better cartridge would enhance my vinyl listening.
I know the planar 1 has limitations but would something like an AT vm95ml be worthwhile bearing in mind my other components, the NR 1200 is only a year old so don't want to swap out that.
I've been back into Vinyl these last 2 years and have spent £2500 approx on LP's in that time
Thoughts????

My thinking is the VM95ML would be a very reasonable upgrade if set up correctly on your Planar 1, however to really do that much vinyl justice you would need to spend some serious money and upgrade the deck at some point, coming away from the entry level completely.
Why do you prefer the Rega fono mini over the phono stage in the Marantz?

Reactions: AndyCC72

Gray

I'm sure you know that the ML cart body is identical to yours (not that the stylus only price is much cheaper of course).
Based on what you've spent on vinyl Jonboy, I'd say that should be considered a minimum upgrade for you.
Might give your vinyl a bit less wear too.
AT rate the ML stylus life as 1000 as opposed to 300 hours on the E (although who changes a stylus after the recommended hours?)

Last edited:
On the face of it, this is a ’no brainer’ upgrade, given you already have the VM95 body fitted. But I’m not sure that you can set the tracking weight easily on the Planar 1 which was only meant to be plug n play with the factory cartridge.
I think I’d save towards a fully adjustable Planar 2 or 3.

Reactions: jonboywalton75
On the face of it, this is a ’no brainer’ upgrade, given you already have the VM95 body fitted. But I’m not sure that you can set the tracking weight easily on the Planar 1 which was only meant to be plug n play with the factory cartridge.
I think I’d save towards a fully adjustable Planar 2 or 3.
Both of which require shims to adjust VTA so hardly fully adjustable I feel.

D

Deleted member 116933

We could give you recommendations all day. But it’s hard as you seem happy somewhat.

It’s interesting that you mention changing the marantz straight away though all be it you’ve only had it year. Do you consider it a “disposable” piece and not something you’re going to keep for very long?

Anyhow

Best advice I can give is really sit back and think about your listening habits and start to think how you can tailor your system to your taste. We can’t answer that. Ie what’s missing that you want to improve upon.

Everything you buy should bring about a change some for the better some not so much.

Save and make meaningful upgrades. Products in the same price bracket will be a side step like the difference between salt n viniger crisps by walkers and kp.

Not many really mention these things buying the latest this and that is more exciting!

But you have payed attention to isolation for your turntable. Is it well away from vibration and on a solid platform, is it bang on level bet it isn’t not bang on at least, have you got things to clean/destate your records before every listen, have you got them anti static sleeves. Is your music playing area clean of any dust?
Are your speakers on good stands? . Are the stands filled? Are they set up correctly ie well away from walls and bits bobs obscuring them ie tucked into corner behind a sofa. All good house keeping that doesn’t have to cost money but makes more of a difference then buying any new product can.

jonboywalton75

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
My thinking is the VM95ML would be a very reasonable upgrade if set up correctly on your Planar 1, however to really do that much vinyl justice you would need to spend some serious money and upgrade the deck at some point, coming away from the entry level completely.
I already had the fono mini when i purchased the nr1200, after a short audition i thought I'd keep the Rega as it seemed slightly better

jonboywalton75

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
Both of which require shims to adjust VTA so hardly fully adjustable I feel.
We could give you recommendations all day. But it’s hard as you seem happy somewhat.

It’s interesting that you mention changing the marantz straight away though all be it you’ve only had it year. Do you consider it a “disposable” piece and not something you’re going to keep for very long?
I want to keep the nr1200, i bought it to reduce boxes, i had a nad amp and Marantz Na6005 so down to one box over 2.

jonboywalton75

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
AT-VMN95EN VM95 Series Elliptical Nude replacement stylus

1. Audio-Technica AT-VMN95EN VM95 Series Elliptical Nude replacement stylus
Heart to save an item to your default list

• Just saw this 🤔

Price:£89.99 FREE One-Day

manicm

The phono stage in the NR1200 is just serviceable I’m afraid. The Fono Mini would be a clear step up for not too much for more serious vinyl listening.

Reactions: jonboywalton75
The phono stage in the NR1200 is just serviceable I’m afraid. The Fono Mini would be a clear step up for not too much for more serious vinyl listening.
I assume you have heard both.... :)
I was asking the OPs opinion, and that was my point 'without to much listening', perhaps the mini is superfluous if he actually listened more intently.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts