Cosmetic help. I have a pale-faced speaker.

No, I'm not taking the rise...

Just taken the grilles off the speakers and one speaker behind the grille has faded very badly. Rather puzzled as the faded one is away from window. Also, I never use any chemicals to clean, just a dry cloth.

Hadn't noticed it before because generally they're normally taken off at night in artificial light.

Can anyone offer an explanation? Don't want to go down the French polishing route, given the age of the speaker.

Ta, pp

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
I doubt it's faded, just that the rest of the veneer that's exposed to light has naturally darkened. Maybe the one near the window sees enough light to actually penetrate the cloth & so has darkened also. I don't think there's much you can do other than maybe switch them around & hope it catches up.

A

Anonymous

PP, don't you switch the speakers round twice a year? May be the veneer on the speakers isn't equally resistant to fading.

I don't know of anything that can be done, other than try some mild dye of sorts (French polishing I guess)...so just live with it.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin said:
No, I'm not taking the rise...

Just taken the grilles off the speakers and one speaker behind the grille has faded very badly. Rather puzzled as the faded one is away from window. Also, I never use any chemicals to clean, just a dry cloth.

Hadn't noticed it before because generally they're normally taken off at night in artificial light.

Can anyone offer an explanation? Don't want to go down the French polishing route, given the age of the speaker.

Ta, pp
A good exscuse to the other half for a upgrade p.p :)

A

Anonymous

Indirect sunlight can make things fade, its not as potent as direct sunlight but it still contains UV, makes the room hot etc.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Mine are around 30 months old & were in a fairly dim room. But you can still just about make out a difference in tone at the bottom under flash.

IMG_0013.jpg

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
My speakers have done this where the grilles have been on. If they're kept off permanently now, will things even out, or will the already exposed areas become even darker?

matthewpiano

This is something we see a lot on pianos, particularly ones with satin wood finishes. On uprights, where the fall has been left up, you end up with a dark patch behind it, where the rest of the wood has changed tone with the light. Little you can really do about it. One of the worst woods for this is cherry.

My Quad 11Ls are lighter behind the grilles too.

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
I'll definately be keeping them off, they look more interesting and sound far far better. The previous owner clearly never had the best out of them

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts