Hi,

I'm looking to invest in some new furniture to house some hifi equipment. Specifically it will be a Leak Stereo 70 amp and Leak FM tuner. I'm thinking of something like this:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/693272988/record-player-stand-tv-unit-or-sideboard

Seller is happy to adjust dimensions to fit my needs. I'm just wondering how much breathing space should I leave for the amp and tuner if I aim to place them on the middle shelf? Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Ro.

Gray

That looks nice.
With them side by side, I would allow at least 30 mm to the sides and about 60 mm between them.
They're not that high are they? So you should have plenty of clearance above.
Even with enough height, I would just avoid stacking them, that's all.

EDIT: Looking again at the picture, doesn't look wide enough for side by side (unless he and you are completely flexible on width).
I modified an Ikea double wardrobe! to allow side by side.
Anything to avoid stacking one unit directly on top of another.

Last edited:

TrevC

Hi,

I'm looking to invest in some new furniture to house some hifi equipment. Specifically it will be a Leak Stereo 70 amp and Leak FM tuner. I'm thinking of something like this:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/693272988/record-player-stand-tv-unit-or-sideboard

Seller is happy to adjust dimensions to fit my needs. I'm just wondering how much breathing space should I leave for the amp and tuner if I aim to place them on the middle shelf? Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Ro.

The 70 runs cool generally, but will get quite hot if you play it very loud continuously. Put the amp on top and leave about 2 inches of space above it and it will be fine.

Thanks all for the comments re: cooling space. For those worried about whether it will fit, perhaps this quote from my original post might clear up some confusion: "Seller is happy to adjust dimensions to fit my needs."

Also no need to worry about stock levels, seller can build more... to fit (just in case I didn't mention before :)).

I intend to have the width such that it is a very snug fit for them side-by-side (the wooden frame has no vents on the sides). There are vents on the top, so will leave around 3cm of space for that.

Cheers,

Rob.

Reactions: Al ears and Gray
D

Deleted member 116933

Thanks all for the comments re: cooling space. For those worried about whether it will fit, perhaps this quote from my original post might clear up some confusion: "Seller is happy to adjust dimensions to fit my needs."

Also no need to worry about stock levels, seller can build more... to fit (just in case I didn't mention before :)).

I intend to have the width such that it is a very snug fit for them side-by-side (the wooden frame has no vents on the sides). There are vents on the top, so will leave around 3cm of space for that.

Cheers,

Rob.

Sorry but id leave more that, that wooden cab/shelf unit is going to keep hold of the heat and act as insulator. Id be looking to give that a good 10cm of clean room above it. 30mm is nothing id struggle to get my whole hand in there

TrevC

The wooden sleeve has vents in the top but the heatsink in these is very small. I remember fitting a thermal cutout to one of these that was used in a record shop that was constantly blowing 2N3055s. Worked a treat and they became used to periods of silence while they waited for it to cool down.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts