Converting my PC into a decent hifi setup

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi I'm looking to improve the listening experience of my PC. At the moment it's a Creative Audigy 2ZS soundcard with a Dell 5.1 speaker system. The Dell speakers are understandably not very impressive, and recently have begun acting up.

I understand there are two routes that I can go: either buy a new set of computer speakers and maybe change the soundcard, or hook the PC to a cheap amplifier and buy some nice bookshelf speakers. Was wondering what suggestions you guys had on this matter.

A

Anonymous

I had a computer with that soundcard and I used a mono 3.5mm to mono RCA adaptor to connect it to my Home cinema amp. It will play MP3 files etc in stereo, and output the digital bitstream from DVD films. i suggest a nice home cinema amp (must have coaxial digital input and relevant decoders for dvd) some speakers and the appropriate cable.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice. I must say that setup seems a little pricey for me, but yeah definitely worth considering. Hmm so you link the soundcard to the amp through an optical cable?

A

Anonymous

My Audigy 2 ZS didn't have an optical output it had a digital 3.5mm coaxial. If you take a look in the software guide on how to hook it up. You will need to use this digital connection and turn off the internal decoders on the soundcard.

A

Anonymous

Ah yes you're right. Had a look at the back of my PC. How do I go about turning off the internal decoders? Will connecting the amp to the soundcard automatically do it?

A

Anonymous

START, Settings, Control Panel.
Then locate an icon that, from memory, looks like a circuit board with the creative A symbol on it. It should be called something like sound control panel, not too sure. Well when you click it it should come up with a box with a decoders tab at the top. click the tab, and turn off dts and dolby digital decoders.

A

Anonymous

Thanks a lot for your help. Will be shopping around for a cheap amp now. Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts