My computer soundcard is a ASUS Xonar Essence STX II Sound Card. My amp Marantz PM6006 UK EDITION Black . My speakers are DALI OBERON 3.

Alan R Long

Aug 19, 2020
Visit site
My computer was made to measure for me this year. The music was transferred to a 2tb ssd and fed through the above via MediaMonkey. The cable between the soundcard and amp and between the amp to the speakers are very expensive connections to get the best sound. Yet somehow I had a better sound from my 7 year old Creative soundcard fed through a Teufel amp and speaker system than this new one. No matter what the settings in the Asus soundcard or MediaMonkey are, it sounds flat as though most of the treble and high end frequencies have simply gone and that the speakers cannot cope with high end crisp treble. I'm at a loss to know how to get back the sounds produced by my Teufel amp and speakers via the then Creative soundcard. All suggestions and recommendations and ideas most welcomed please as to how to solve the problems. Thank you.

Alan R Long

Aug 19, 2020
Visit site
I'm hoping for your sake Alan, that you get some other benefit(s) from having had your computer made to measure.
Because, as far as the audio side is concerned, the DAC in your PM6006 is all you need for uncompromised PC sound.
Hell Gray. Thank you for your suggestion. I took a look at how I connected the soundcard output to the amp and believe I am old-fashioned when I say I used standard but expensive RCA connectors from the output on the soundcard to the phono on the Marantz. I believe this may well be why the sound is not what it should be. I see that there is a spdif on the soundcard output. I guess I ought to get a connector from that to the coaxial in the Marantz. If yes, what would be the recommended ideal cable to link the two and thus presume improve the sound please? Thank you very much for your help.

Gray

Hello Alan.
If you've actually been going into the 'Phono' input of the Marantz, this would explain an (extremely) inferior sound.
Start by moving your twin RCA plugs across to the 'Tuner' sockets and see how that sounds.
If you were previously going into Phono, you will be able to confirm a much improved sound.
At this point, you'll still be using the DAC on the Asus soundcard.

Next step is to instead, connect the card digitally to the amp. This will then be using the amp's built-in DAC - so you can decide which sounds best.
For test purpose, you can use L or R of your twin RCA lead to make the digital connection.

If you decide to make a permanent digital connection, ideally you'd want a single 75 ohm RCA to RCA plug lead, in your required length......and despite anything you might read, there's no need to spend more than £10 on such a lead.
Let us know how you get on with listening tests.

Last edited:

Alan R Long

Aug 19, 2020
Visit site
Hello Alan.
If you've actually been going into the 'Phono' input of the Marantz, this would explain an (extremely) inferior sound.
Start by moving your twin RCA plugs across to the 'Tuner' sockets and see how that sounds.
If you were previously going into Phono, you will be able to confirm a much improved sound.
At this point, you'll still be using the DAC on the Asus soundcard.

Next step is to instead, connect the card digitally to the amp. This will then be using the amp's built-in DAC - so you can decide which sounds best.
For test purpose, you can use L or R of your twin RCA lead to make the digital connection.

If you decide to make a permanent digital connection, ideally you'd want a single 75 ohm RCA to RCA plug lead, in your required length......and despite anything you might read, there's no need to spend more than £10 on such a lead.
Let us know how you get on with listening tests.
Hello Gray. Thank you so much for your reply. Its very kind of you to help me. I will move the RCAs from phono to tuner later this morning and hope it will remedy a problem of my own making. I have a single 75 ohm RCA to RCA coming via Amazon today as a backup plan. I will be certain to come back in tonight and give you an update on my changes. Thank you so much for your help which is really appreciated.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

Hello Gray. Thank you so much for your reply. Its very kind of you to help me. I will move the RCAs from phono to tuner later this morning and hope it will remedy a problem of my own making. I have a single 75 ohm RCA to RCA coming via Amazon today as a backup plan. I will be certain to come back in tonight and give you an update on my changes. Thank you so much for your help which is really appreciated.
Pleasure to help you Alan.

After you connect the digital lead, have a quick look into the sound settings on your PC.
It's possible you may have an option to see / select / optimise what gets sent out via the soundcard.

Alan R Long

Aug 19, 2020
Visit site
Pleasure to help you Alan.

After you connect the digital lead, have a quick look into the sound settings on your PC.
It's possible you may have an option to see / select / optimise what gets sent out via the soundcard.
Hi there Gray.

I moved the RCAs from 'phono' to 'tuner' and it was an automatic success. The immediate clarity and breadth of sound improved beyond my expectations. I've made a small number of tweaks to the ASUS soundcard and I now have, for all intent and purposes, a brand new hifi system and the way my music from the 1930s to the 1980s should be heard. Dame Vera Lynn recordings from the 30s are as bright and crisp as those from Sade in the 80s. My heroes, namely Moody Blues, Beatles and Beach Boys sound awesome! It is truly amazing how moving two RCAs across to another input sound so fantastic.

Thank you again for all your invaluable help getting me and my computer sounds back on the road. Now to work out what headphones but that is for another time. All the very best and thank you so much for all you've done.

Gray

Hi there Gray.

I moved the RCAs from 'phono' to 'tuner' and it was an automatic success. The immediate clarity and breadth of sound improved beyond my expectations. I've made a small number of tweaks to the ASUS soundcard and I now have, for all intent and purposes, a brand new hifi system and the way my music from the 1930s to the 1980s should be heard. Dame Vera Lynn recordings from the 30s are as bright and crisp as those from Sade in the 80s. My heroes, namely Moody Blues, Beatles and Beach Boys sound awesome! It is truly amazing how moving two RCAs across to another input sound so fantastic.

Thank you again for all your invaluable help getting me and my computer sounds back on the road. Now to work out what headphones but that is for another time. All the very best and thank you so much for all you've done.
Good news, very pleased to hear it Alan.

If and when you start researching headphones......there are members here that have owned / still own some of the best models. Their guidance could prove useful - even if the final choice depends on your trials.

Enjoy the music (us Marantz owners know you will) (y)

rainsoothe

Hi there Gray.

Enjoy the music, glad you sorted it out.

For headphones it's easy: demo as many as you can, buy Sennheisers with open back :))

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts