Continually having to setup tone arm

greg238sqn

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I have spent time balancing my tone arm ensuring that as I place the stylus over the vinyl it drops where I want. So why after 2 weeks off no music do I have to reset/do it again? I thought it was air/wind movement. But sitting here now I know it's not!!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
You are describing setting tracking force (balancing the arm etc.)

There is also the bias/anti-skate adjustment to consider. If this not set (or not working as designed) then you might get some 'drift' when cueing.

You also need to check that the TT is on a perfectly level surface. Pop a small spirit level on the platter and check in both planes (back to front and side to side) and adjust.

If you have a Rega turntable with an RBnnn tonearm, then it is worth experimenting with (sometimes significantly) lower bias/anti-skate values than they instruct. (But only once everything else is correct.)

greg238sqn said:
I have spent time balancing my tone arm ensuring that as I place the stylus over the vinyl it drops where I want. So why after 2 weeks off no music do I have to reset/do it again? I thought it was air/wind movement. But sitting here now I know it's not!!

Is there a clarification needed here in what you're trying to do? Balancing the arm has nothing to do with where the needle falls as that's normally done manually i.e. cueing.

Which deck and arm are you trying to set up? Your signature picture shows a Rega. It sounds to me if you don't have the correct tracking force set rather than the bias.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Bias is a force applied latterally to the tonearm to equalise pressure of the stylus on each side of the record groove. This imbalance is a result of the geometry of most tone arms.

Thes results in a slight force pushing the arm cartridge away from the center of the record. The cueing problem arises when the 'bar' that lifts and lowers the arm does not hold the arm in place, by friction, causing the arm to slide outwards by several grooves.

The slicker the contact between the lifting bar and the arm, the lighter the tracking weight, the greater the problem. The solution is to glue something a bit more 'grippy' to the underside of the arm where it contacts the lifting bar. I have seen small pieces of rubber bands and tiny strips of fabric sticking plasters used, both successfully.

TRENDING THREADS