Continental edition(s)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Spent the w/e in France where I noticed the local edition of WHF S&V (May issue). So, I'm now curious about how it works. Is it printed under a license or some other arrangement? Is all the content from the UK edition translated and transposed for local market(s), etc.? I'd be grateful if one of the Editors on here wouldn't mind shedding some light. Thanks.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We licence our content to select overseas partners, who have to follow strict publication guidelines.

For example, if a product we've reviewed has a different price in a different country, this could effect its star rating (which are, of course, all value-based). Each such instance is discussed with the overseas publisher and ourselves to ensure the reviews and their results are relevant - which can mean different test winners in different countries.

Our overseas partners can review local products (ie not ones available in UK), once we're confident of their test facilities and abilities (we visit their test rooms and vice versa), but our main test team in the UK are the only ones able to apply a star rating.

As well as our great group of overseas partners - including France, Spain, Russia, South Africa, Serbia and more - e have colleagues at Haymarket India who publish our Indian edition. Watch this space for more!

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:

We licence our content to select overseas partners, who have to follow strict publication guidelines.

For example, if a product we've reviewed has a different price in a different country, this could effect its star rating (which are, of course, all value-based). Each such instance is discussed with the overseas publisher and ourselves to ensure the reviews and their results are relevant - which can mean different test winners in different countries.

Our overseas partners can review local products (ie not ones available in UK), once we're confident of their test facilities and abilities (we visit their test rooms and vice versa), but our main test team in the UK are the only ones able to apply a star rating.

As well as our great group of overseas partners - including France, Spain, Russia, South Africa, Serbia and more - e have colleagues at Haymarket India who publish our Indian edition. Watch this space for more!

Thanks very much Clare.

So if The Big Question gets printed in another local edition, do I also get a year's worth supply of Spanish/Russian/etc. WHF S&V then?

emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

I'm curious, why do the other countries require test facilities? Unless I've misunderstood, the WHF HQ doesn't have them. Do you mean listening rooms?

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
Ah the old 'unless I've misunderstood' conceit.

No, we mean a test track, giant centrifuge and wind-tunnel. Making mischief again, Tarquinh?

No, no conceit, and why your attack? There's no reason why WHF should have banks of testing equipment. I was just being pedantic over the terms. After all, there is a world of difference between testing facilities and listening rooms.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Tarquinh:No, no conceit, and why your attack? There's no reason why WHF should have banks of testing equipment. I was just being pedantic over the terms.

Past posts of yours suggest you were being more than pedantic.

Tarquinh:After all, there is a world of
difference between testing facilities and listening rooms.
You see, there you go again... We test by viewing and listening - hence testing facilities and listening (and, if you really want to be pedantic viewing) rooms are one and the same. As in supertest, group test, first test, etc...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
manicm:Why does the South African edition come so late? We're still on the April edition!!!!

That's something you'd have to take up with the SA licensee.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts