Consonance CD120 Linear

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, currently looking for a new CDP, I have been reading some other Hifi mags as whathifi sound and vision don’t seem to feature many CD players these days, (compared to 10 yrs ago when I purchased my last system). I stumbled across the Consonance CD120 Linear.
It has been very well reviewed else where. I think it may well be a good fit with my warmish sounding arcam amps ( i will audition b4 deciding) and a nice alternative to the big name contenders Naim, Rega Marantz Cambridge Audio etc.....

Does any one on here have any experience of this player? I would be interested to hear views of those who have had a listen .

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
A recent overhaul of my entire system started with the source. I've auditioned Rega Apollo, Saturn, Rotel RCD1072, Quad 99 CDP-2, and many more in that price range. In my opinion, all of those CD players were excellent, and it's only a matter of subtle difference in taste.

Rega Apollo and Saturn were stellar in terms of cleanliness, Rotel was excitingly vivid, and Quad was liquid smooth and warm.

The Consonance however, was the most distinguishable (different) with its most listenable and analogue sound. With its holographic presentation and the most natural delivery, I was completely won over. Keep in mind that I only listen to classical music though. Which reminds me, I need to go and buy it this week!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="gthang"] I stumbled across the Consonance CD120 Linear[/quote]

This is a good cd player for the price, very smooth and forgiven with nicely weight sound. Opera do made some nice stuffs and the valve output range toping droplet 5.0 is dropdead gorgeous with a lot more authority but you will need to pay a bit more.
I would compare the consonance cd120 to rega rather than Naim, if you get one with XLR out put which will by pass the tubes buffer (and if your amp can has a pair of balanced in) then you will get 2 different sounding charactor from just 1 machine.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="batonwielder"]A recent overhaul of my entire system started with the source. I've auditioned Rega Apollo, Saturn, Rotel RCD1072, Quad 99 CDP-2, and many more in that price range. In my opinion, all of those CD players were excellent, and it's only a matter of subtle difference in taste. Rega Apollo and Saturn were stellar in terms of cleanliness, Rotel was excitingly vivid, and Quad was liquid smooth and warm. The Consonance however, was the most distinguishable (different) with its most listenable and analogue sound. With its holographic presentation and the most natural delivery, I was completely won over. Keep in mind that I only listen to classical music though. Which reminds me, I need to go and buy it this week![/quote]

Thanks for your thoughts just the sort of relpy I had hoped for, Its the "analogue" sound that attracts me to this player, I do listen to Classical music, but also some rock, generally anything which is well recorded (latest cd purchase was by Earnest Ranglin) so my new player is going to have to be a jack of all trades. I have requested and listen at my localish hifi shop to compare with both Regas and the shanling CDT80.

Do you know if the display can be turne off?

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
You are welcome. I can't remember if you can turn off the display. Have fun comparing them. When I first started auditioning I didn't think there would be much difference among CD players. Well, there isn't, but that minute difference in sound determines the character of the system, and it can be achieved without spending an exorbitant amount of money.

TRENDING THREADS