Considering my first Turntable

gurjitsidhu

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,

i curently have an amp speakers and cd player and now im looking to buy a turntable. Ive been thinking about the project one or REGA.

Now can someone please explain the difference between dj decks and the likes of a HIFI TT? reason is that the technics dj decks are cheaper and look nicer! what is the difference and are they not HIFI TTs?

also should I be upgrading the stylus since that is what is getting all of the sound off the record right? the motor speed is less important?

lastly how important is the surface the TT is sitting on? i dont have a hifi cabinet yet since my hifi gear is sitting in the cabinet under the tv. therefore it cant go ontop of this cabinet like ive seen most systems since i have nowhere to put the tv.

thanks in advance

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I can't speak first hand about DJ specific decks but it did look into the Technics ones. Common concensus (even within the pro community) seems to be that the cheaper DJ decks are built down to a price, features being more important than build quality. Light weight platters being a common occurance amongst other money saving cuts.

I am sure the technics 1200 is a very good deck and it has been successfully modified to reputedly very high standards so I'd have personally no issues with getting one, that is if you can find one that hasn't been abused. As to the other, cheaper ones, I would probably pass and concentrate instead on the more 'audiophile' products around.

regards

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
gurjitsidhu said:
also should I be upgrading the stylus since that is what is getting all of the sound off the record right? the motor speed is less important?

lastly how important is the surface the TT is sitting on? i dont have a hifi cabinet yet since my hifi gear is sitting in the cabinet under the tv. therefore it cant go ontop of this cabinet like ive seen most systems since i have nowhere to put the tv.

thanks in advance

Some of the Project TT come fitted with a decent stylus anyway.

Yes surface is important with TT, in your case its probably best to buy a wall shelf which will help to isolate it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts