considering audiolab 8200cdq - will it make a difference?

leerankin

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

I'm a newbie here and need a bit of advice around a planned upgrade to my now rather ancient set up.

I have been using a 2nd hand meridian 206 delta sigma and qed digit combo since 2005, through a nad 370 integrated amp and mission 753 floorstanders. This is my primary source, but i also listen to quite a bit of vinyl through an even older rega planer 2, albeit I have made a few mods to this over the years including a new rega fono mini phono stage and better interconnects very recently.

I have been considering updating the cd source side for some time, but am unsure of the potential uplifts in performance. The 206 is an old machine, but still highly regarded as a transport so am I throwing the baby out with the bathwater upgrading both transport and dac?, the question I guess is how much would I need to spend to get a noticeable difference.

I spotted a review of the audiolab 8200cdq which caught my eye, as this on paper suggested I may get such a performance uplift, but also the ability to put a pre-amp into play for the same cash. I understand the NAD 370 makes a pretty reasonable partner on the power side, and this solution may give me a step to the next upgrade path when money allows with a better power amp - maybe the matching audiolab.

Any thoughts on the audiolab and its potential in my setup or other suggested options would be greatly appreciated.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
It received consistently good reviews everywhere.

I haven't heard it but I like to tell something else; I have a cyrus cd8x and was happy with it. Then I got a DAD3 cheaply as a faulty unit. After replacing the laser unit I (obviously) put the two side by side and prefer the older DAD3. - It doesn't do the same soundstage as the 8x, its slightly narrower but deeper, fuller sounding with more drive.

What I'm saying is go and listen to the Audiolab, perhaps at home for a couple of days and see if you like it. Functionality wise the Audiolab seems great so just that could be deciding factor.

Regards

PEAYEL

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
I was originally going for audiolab kit, when I upgraded. I took along my older kit to an audition of Rega, Audiolab, Naim and Cyrus. I also took my wife, son and mum (read overkill here) to give their individual opinions. They all listened 'blind' and spoke freely, with no salesperson interfering. I knew I wanted the Cyrus 6/8 DAC, but didn't tell them. Guess what they all choose the Cyrus sound, my son especially thought it offered the best improvement. May I respectfully suggest that you try something similar, so that you buy what you like. The Audiolab doesn't suit all tastes, and reviews can be misleading... Something I found with the Audiolab DAC, after auditioning, it was definitely not for me.

All the best.

leerankin

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
thanks for the comments guys, sounds like I'd be a fool not to consider the cyrus options.

I think i got seduced by the potential to upgrade transport, dac and put a preamp in play in one go for £700, maybe a little naive.

Does anyone out there have any experience partnering a meridian 206ds with a more up to date DAC such as the cyrus, or other kit I could consider would be welcome. Also is a preamp into a NAD c370 even an option for a pre/power combo? There seems to be plenty of examples of bi-amping with other NAD amps such as the c270, but not much in the way of traditonal pre/power combos? i would need at least 1 analogue input for my rega, which the audiolab offers.

many thanks

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
leerankin said:
thanks for the comments guys, sounds like I'd be a fool not to consider the cyrus options.

I think i got seduced by the potential to upgrade transport, dac and put a preamp in play in one go for £700, maybe a little naive.

Does anyone out there have any experience partnering a meridian 206ds with a more up to date DAC such as the cyrus, or other kit I could consider would be welcome. Also is a preamp into a NAD c370 even an option for a pre/power combo? There seems to be plenty of examples of bi-amping with other NAD amps such as the c270, but not much in the way of traditonal pre/power combos? i would need at least 1 analogue input for my rega, which the audiolab offers.

many thanks

Actually ... what I was trying to say was that you may prefer the sound of your Meridian to newer options rather than suggesting to go down the cyrus route. Try before buying would be my suggestion, if at all possible.

regards

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I would say dont't worry about the transport -files, discs, laptop, cd player,squeezebox, dvd player all tried and if there was any difference it wasn't worth worrying about. I'll add another nod to cyrus. Some good prices online currently for its amps with dacs and loads of upgrade potential (which can be seen as good or bad depending on your point of view).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts