Considering a new DAC to my Cyrus system

alpne1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Just bought Audiolab M-Dac for my Cyrus 6a. I for one am very pleased with the performance, althogh the filters are subtle to my ears and dont make a massive difference. Good connectivity. I would recommend.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
What is your budget?

You may want to read my post about DACs under £1,000.

There is also a group test in July WHF mag. Doubt they will test some of the ones like Benchmark, Metrum Octave Mk2 and John Kenny though.

cmcnally12

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks.

My budget is broad and I'm willing to spend 2000 pounds if I can see a difference.

I currenlty own a CD8SE, PreXpd, two 8 power amps (momnoblocs) serving sonus faber toy floorstanders.

After all the raving on the NAIM DAC I want to hear this thing. Question is how much better is it than a 1000 pound DAC.

CHORD Chordette

NAIM DAC

NAD M51

Cyrus DAC

Also wondering about the Audiolab you mention as it seems great value. I plan on slowly upgrading each one of my components over a long period. I assume the DAC will make the biggest initial difference.

Thanks

Craig

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
cmcnally12 said:
Thanks.

My budget is broad and I'm willing to spend 2000 pounds if I can see a difference.

I currenlty own a CD8SE, PreXpd, two 8 power amps (momnoblocs) serving sonus faber toy floorstanders.

After all the raving on the NAIM DAC I want to hear this thing. Question is how much better is it than a 1000 pound DAC.

CHORD Chordette

NAIM DAC

NAD M51

Cyrus DAC

Also wondering about the Audiolab you mention as it seems great value. I plan on slowly upgrading each one of my components over a long period. I assume the DAC will make the biggest initial difference.

Thanks

Craig

I think £2,000 is a bit too much. As for biggest difference I would say speakers will make the biggest then probably amp then DAC then cd transport.

I would look at these first: Benchmark £900, Metrum Octave Mk2 £800 and John Kenny £500.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
cmcnally12 said:
Also wondering about the Audiolab you mention as it seems great value.

I have an Audiolab M-DAC going straight into a Cyrus X Power and Sonus Faber Venere 1.5s. The M-DAC is certainly worth a trial, if you can get one on loan.

If you did go down that route, you could sell the PreXpd, as the M-DAC has a very good built-in digital preamp. (I'm assuming your only source is the Cyrus CDP; if you have a turntable, you'd need to keep the PreXpd, as the MDAC has no analogue inputs.)

Matt

cmcnally12

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
My only source is the CD8SE at the moment however I want to think of the future with high res music files.

I also use the PreXpd with the AV pass through function to link with my AV amp rather than having seperate systems therefore i need an analogue input to a preamp.

TRENDING THREADS