connection question

Dougie

Dec 3, 2021
Visit site
Hi. newbie here. I have a Denon AVR3200 receiver and I want to connect to my digital music files on my Windows 10 HP computer. I don't know how and the Denon manual makes it seem complicated.

Can someone help me out?

thank you

Dougie

Gray

Amongst all the multiple cleverness of your receiver Dougie, it connects to the internet and is 'DNLA 1.5 compliant'.
So by using the 'Denon AVR Remote App' I would expect you to be able see / play the files on your computer.....but maybe that's what you say the manual makes complicated.

One surefire way to play your files, is to connect your PC via USB to a decent external DAC and from that to one of the analogue audio inputs on the Denon (using a twin RCA cable).
You didn't say if / how you may already have been playing files from your PC, but a few of us use 'Foobar 2000' for the purpose - it's great (and free).

That method would tie you from PC via DAC by wire to the Denon, but there's a chance that the external DAC will sound better than the Denon's internal DAC (which you would otherwise be using).

Reactions: WayneKerr

Dougie

Dec 3, 2021
Visit site
thanks for the reply Gray. Looks like the Remote app is not available for the 3200.

I would be happy to try the internal DAC on the Denon.

I have been playing my audio files on the computer itself via external speakers plugged into the green hole in the back of the computer.

I have a cheapo external DAC around here somewhere. but I would prefer to run direct to the Denon internal DAC if that's feasible.

Reactions: Gray

WayneKerr

thanks for the reply Gray. Looks like the Remote app is not available for the 3200.

I would be happy to try the internal DAC on the Denon.

I have been playing my audio files on the computer itself via external speakers plugged into the green hole in the back of the computer.

I have a cheapo external DAC around here somewhere. but I would prefer to run direct to the Denon internal DAC if that's feasible.
Wired is simplest for a test (y) Where is the PC in relation to your Denon? Laptop or desktop?

What outputs do you have on the PC? Digital (optical/coax), Analogue (RCA), HDMI, USB?
Denon has no HDMI input but does have RCA, optical and coax.
If you use RCA cables you'll be using the DAC in the PC; digital connection from PC to Denon you'll be using the DAC in the Denon.

Gray

I would prefer to run direct to the Denon internal DAC if that's feasible.
I think it will be.
Because, as your computer is the type with the green 3.5mm socket, then it's likely to also have a digital output.
That would connect directly to a digital input on the Denon....and thereby be using the DAC in the Denon.

However, if you use Bill's link above, you can set up to do things wirelessly - with no loss of quality (and still be using the Denon's DAC).

Reactions: WayneKerr

Dougie

Dec 3, 2021
Visit site

Dougie

Dec 3, 2021
Visit site
Wired is simplest for a test (y) Where is the PC in relation to your Denon? Laptop or desktop?

What outputs do you have on the PC? Digital (optical/coax), Analogue (RCA), HDMI, USB?
Denon has no HDMI input but does have RCA, optical and coax.
If you use RCA cables you'll be using the DAC in the PC; digital connection from PC to Denon you'll be using the DAC in the Denon.
desktop is adjacent to the Denon....around a 10'cable

outputs are the audio outputs on the back...which I believe are analog. and then there is the USB output/input

my question is how do I make the digital connection to the desktop?

Dougie

Dec 3, 2021
Visit site
thanks everybody. I used a cheapo mini USB DAC box. the fidelity was horrible and lots of inline noise. I just ordered another convertor and optical cables. will come next week and I'll try again.

I'll keep you posted

WayneKerr

thanks everybody. I used a cheapo mini USB DAC box. the fidelity was horrible and lots of inline noise. I just ordered another convertor and optical cables. will come next week and I'll try again.

I'll keep you posted
Dougie, (great name by the way, my name's Doug). Not sure if it applies to your particular PC but looking at images on the web of the rear of the HP 410-010 there definitely appears appears to be an optical socket... I'm kinda hoping that yours has it and it's an output, not input, if so all you need is a long optical lead.

Dr-G

Sep 9, 2022
Visit site
Hi Dougie,
Although a newcomer to forums, I've been down this path a few times...
The quickest way to hear what your music sounds like on the Denon (usually my first priority!) is to copy some of your music files onto a USB stick (delete everything on the stick and format it first - FAT 32) and pop that in the USB port on the front of the Denon. You can then select USB on the remote...

In the longer term though, the question is
Do you want to be sitting at your computer, selecting and playing music files? (in which case a digital cable solution is needed. I think you'll need a USB to toslink optical audio converter, (around 20 quid on amazon) then an optical toslink cable of appropriate length that you plug into the back of the Denon )

OR do you want to be sitting in front of your TV, selecting and playing files using the Denon remote? (in which case you need to follow abacus's advice above and connect the Denon to your wi-fi, then enable media sharing on your PC. Not super-easy, but worth it in the long run...)

In all these solutions you'll be using the Denon to do DAC and amplification duties...

hope that helps

Dougie

Dec 3, 2021
Visit site
I have a Presonus audiobox itwo that I use in my recording efforts......I connected its headphone jack to the Denon.....VOILA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm connected!!!!

thank you to all. happy listening

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts