Connecting sound card to hi-fi

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

abacus

For audio playback ASIO & WASAPI drivers are of little relevance, however when it comes to music production (Or using VSTs) then they are needed.

If you’re ripping to mp3s, get a media ripper that can use the LAME encoding software as this is one of the best out there. (FLAC can use any encoder as it is lossless)

As mentioned in my previous posts, the best price/performance ratio will be buying at pro music shops, not Hi Fi dealers or manufactures.

Hope this helps

Bill

Robbob

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
Ok, I am playing Thin Lizzy in Foobar through hifi, with ASAPI, and it definitely sounds better than it did. My wife and stepdaughter both prefer the sound to my cd player, but I am not totally convinced. It sounds clearer and brighter, a bit more clinical than my cd player. I will set it up properly, and listen to more music before I decide if I want to keep it like this. I musy admit, there is less incentive now to spend out on a DAC,

The only problem I have, is that playing a cd with Foobar, the begining of every track stutters with a slight gap in the music. How do I fix that?

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
odd that it should stutter, I'm not sure. Do you have any virus software running or anything like that you can turn off temporarily, see how it goes. Another thing you can try now you have it flat and direct for want of a better term is maybe try some of the different sound settings in the asus control panel. yes, I know it's not purist hifi doing that, but if you prefer it then hey, all is good :)

Robbob

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
It has just occured to me why the sound from my pc sound card, sounds so different to my Technics cd player. The Technics cd players of that period had something called M.A.S.H, which I think stands for "multi stage sound shaping", and which made them sound quite different to other players, and produced a sound that I particularly liked, and have obviously got used to over the years. They were also one bit, though I am not sure if that is of any significance. I guess I am not going to be able to reproduce that sound from a pc!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts