Connecting smart TV to anologue amp

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
My main interest is hifi, but for several years I've connected my TV to my amp via a modest CYP DAC (approx £40). I use the optical out cable.
Occasionally I experience a slight lipsynch issue, but wasn't sure if it's because I might be streaming a programme or could it be the DAC?
Could I do better? I'm unlikely to ever go to 5.1, so stereo will always be it for me. I could probably go £150 - £200 if there is something else out there with demonstrable improvements on my reasonably simple solution.

Tinman1952

My main interest is hifi, but for several years I've connected my TV to my amp via a modest CYP DAC (approx £40). I use the optical out cable.
Occasionally I experience a slight lipsynch issue, but wasn't sure if it's because I might be streaming a programme or could it be the DAC?
Could I do better? I'm unlikely to ever go to 5.1, so stereo will always be it for me. I could probably go £150 - £200 if there is something else out there with demonstrable improvements on my reasonably simple solution.

Depending on your TV there might be an Audio Delay option in Settings....
also Sony advise switching from bitstream to PCM if you experience lip synch issues.

Tinman1952

Just bumping my original post.
Could I do better with a change of DAC, or is what I have more than adequate for my needs.
Your CYP dac is a good little product for budget equipment and got 4 stars from What HiFi about 12 years ago.....
the problem with cheap DACs (well all DACs really) is not the DAC chip used but usually the quality of the power supply and most importantly the output stage which sends on the analogue signal after conversion. This is where you would expect to hear improvements.
The rest of your system really deserves better. Without going over the top for TV sound I would suggest you try something like the Topping E30.

Reactions: Clarkey_71

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
Your CYP dac is a good little product for budget equipment and got 4 stars from What HiFi about 12 years ago.....
the problem with cheap DACs (well all DACs really) is not the DAC chip used but usually the quality of the power supply and most importantly the output stage which sends on the analogue signal after conversion. This is where you would expect to hear improvements.
The rest of your system really deserves better. Without going over the top for TV sound I would suggest you try something like the Topping E30.

That's really helpful, thanks.
I'm a bit blind when it comes to digital.
I notice the E30 comes with a remote, which might make the use a bit of a faff as my CYP sits hidden behind the TV.
I see they do a D10s, which seems to be a simpler unit and maybe more what I need.
A quick surf suggests it's relative plug and play.
Have you any thoughts or experience with this unit at all?

Tinman1952

That's really helpful, thanks.
I'm a bit blind when it comes to digital.
I notice the E30 comes with a remote, which might make the use a bit of a faff as my CYP sits hidden behind the TV.
I see they do a D10s, which seems to be a simpler unit and maybe more what I need.
A quick surf suggests it's relative plug and play.
Have you any thoughts or experience with this unit at all?
Hi. Yes the E30 comes with a remote if you want to use variable volume but you don't have to. Just set to maximum (DAC mode) and then use the TV volume as normal.
Unfortunately the excellent little D10s is USB input only. The coax and optical connections are outputs. 😕

Reactions: Clarkey_71

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
You're very welcome. 🙂

I purchased one of these and set it up today.
Sounds great and an immediate upgrade on the CYP after an A/B listen.
Not least the very noticeable increased output gain, meaning my pre doesn't have to work so hard. The E30 hit the same volume at a comfortable 45 as the CYP did at 60+.
Thanks again for putting me on to this. 👌

Reactions: Tinman1952

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
I purchased one of these and set it up today.
Sounds great and an immediate upgrade on the CYP after an A/B listen.
Not least the very noticeable increased output gain, meaning my pre doesn't have to work so hard. The E30 hit the same volume at a comfortable 45 as the CYP did at 60+.
Thanks again for putting me on to this. 👌

And that was just listening to a music dvd. Just tried the radio through the tv. Wow!!!! Incredible sound!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts