connecting rDAC to PC....quick question

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Guys,

I was reading on Internet but actually I do not understand clearly what's the difference in connecting pc to the Arcam rDAC using a simple USB than using the digital output on my soundcard....

Wouldn't be better quality using the digital?

Thanks again

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Another question comes to my mind....do I need any specific software to control the DAC via windows 7 or play my music? The objective is to get the best sound quality possible...all the time!

Thanks!

John Duncan

acalex said:
Another question comes to my mind....do I need any specific software to control the DAC via windows 7 or play my music? The objective is to get the best sound quality possible...all the time!

Thanks!

No, none. Just press play and it should work :-D

John Duncan

There are theoretical advantages (isolation fro electrical interference) and disadvantages (you need to convert from electrical to optical) to an optical connection, but I'd be surprised if there were much difference tbh. I do get the impression Arcam have spent quite a bit of time perfecting the USB side of things though, and personally I find optical S/PDIF connections a bit, well, wiggly...:)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
John Duncan said:
acalex said:

Thanks!

No, none. Just press play and it should work :-D

I asked because I read a bunch of stuff about WASAPI and the difference about Event style mode (the device pulls the data) and normal mode (the systems push data to the device)....I am getting confused to be honest :D

dannycanham

May 5, 2009
Visit site
USB on the rDac is a good connection so I would ignore any theory especially as most of the theory on the internet is a bit fake. You have theoretical problems with each digital connection combined with how well each connection is implemented in both the dac and the computer. You'll find yourself going round in circles reading opposite opinions. Use your ears or trust the common viewpoint that the rDac has a good USB connection.

I can't remember settings on a windows 7 pc as I haven't connected the rDac to one in ages but wasapi is as simple as downloading a plugin and setting the output to wasapi. (well it is in foobar). It is something I had a play around with once upon a time. I'd recommend having a play with it as well. But an answer such as "it is definitely worthwhile" or "it definitely sounds better" would just be a false one. I think I was happier with wasapi on one system and struggled to get it working well on another.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks a lot!!! I indeed connected through USB and the result is really good...I am listening to Eric Clapton and it seems he's playing in the same room!!! :rockout:

Though I don't have comparison yet...

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
The rDAC is already setup as Default Ouput in the sound section of Windows 7...do I still need to install the WASAPI? Where can I download it?

How it's best to keep the different volume levels to get best audio quality? If there is any optimal setup...

OK I installed foobar2000 and added the WASAPI dll, so now I am playing my music using this sofware...anyhting else I need to do at software level? Thankssssssssss

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts