connecting phono preamp to my itube 252

skularatna

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
Ok well, my itube 252 doesnt have a phono preamp so my records sound very low. I've just read a reivew for the Cambridge Azur 640p. I 've got a few questions:

Do I connect the turntable to MM out or MC out?

What is the MM/MC switch for?

What is subsonic filter?

I assume you connec the TT to either the MM out or MC out depending on what you have. And you connec the output to the line put (RCA) of the tube amp?

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
skularatna:
Ok well, my itube 252 doesnt have a phono preamp so my records sound very low. I've just read a reivew for the Cambridge Azur 640p. I 've got a few questions:

Do I connect the turntable to MM out or MC out?

What is the MM/MC switch for?

What is subsonic filter?

I assume you connec the TT to either the MM out or MC out depending on what you have. And you connec the output to the line put (RCA) of the tube amp?

Which input you use, depends if you have a Moving Magnet (MM) or Moving Coil (MC) cartridge.

The MM/MC switch selects which cartridge type you are using.

A moving magnet cartridge has a much higher output level that a moving coil cartridge. 'googling' the model number of your pickup cartridge should yield the specifications of it, which will tell you if it's MM or MC.

A subsonic filter is a "high pass" filter - a subsonic filter in particular removes (filters) very low frequencies which are usually generated by warped LP's.

The output (probably labeled "line out") connects to an unused input on your tube amp - probably "Aux" is your best option - but any line level input can be used including Tape / Dab / Tuner / CD.

A

Anonymous

Wow, you actually listened to your records without RIAA equilisation being applied? Hmm...must have redifined the term "bright"!
emotion-7.gif

skularatna

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
acutally havent listened to them in ages... just brought the pre-amp today, but the phono out on my turntable is damaged..i.e the wires have come out, so got to fetch my soldering iron.

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
It really is personal preference. If you leave it off then the cones of your bass drivers may start flapping a bit trying to reproduce the warp frequency but it is harmless. However, many Audiophiles prefer it this way.
Having said that, most prefer to have the filter switched on as they feel a bit too nervous watching their bass drivers dance.

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
skularatna:Ok found out its an MM cartridge. As for the subfilter , should I leave it on or off? Or is that down to personal taste on the type of sound you get?

If you play excessively warped records, the ultra low frequencies (subsonics) that are generated can cause the amp to get warm.

I would advise switching it on if you're playing such records, otherwise it's ok to leave it off.

Also, if the turntable isn't very well isolated from the speakers, the subsonic filter can (in some circumstances) help to reduce the amount of feedback generated (particularly low frequency feedback).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts