Connecting PC to Cambridge Audio 740 CDP- cable help

saintsboy

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I'd like to take advantage of my CA 740's DAC with my PC based music; i've spent a few hours looking at cables, forums etc and I'm probably more confused now than I was.

My Compaq desktop only has a basic soundcard and no optical option. I cannot find an optical to 3.5mm stereo jack cable(or convertor). Pretty certain the headphone socket doesn't double up as an optical like newer models.

My thinking is that my easiest option is to get an external soundcard with optical options on it and connect this via Optical cable to the Cambridge?

Many thanks in advance.

drichardb

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
If your pc has no optical output then short of a major upgrade/new pc you have two options.

1. Fit a new internal sound card - The Asus Xonar DG is available for less than £25 and has onboard optical output.

2. Purchase a USB sound adaptor - These are available for around the £25 mark but I cannot vouch for their quality or reliability. Solutions from proven companies like Creative will cost a lot more.

I have had an Asus Xonar D2X in my pc for over 2 years and it is a superb piece of kit. The DG is the newer budget version and all the reviews I have read have indicated it is a bargain for the price.

saintsboy

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that, will check it out. Appreciate you taking the time to respond
smiley-smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS