Connecting Ipod to Arcam A19 amplifier

gadge

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi all - I want to be able to connect my Ipod [or friends Ipods] to my Arcam A19 amplifier. Following Arcam's instructions I bought a 3.5mm to 3.5mm jack and connected the Ipod to the Arcam aux port at the front. It works but the volume is incredibly low [had to turn up to volume 80/99 to be half decent volume]. Can anyone suggest a way I can connect my Ipod so I get decent volume [at a reasonable price]

Many thanks

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Gadge,

Welcome to the forums - 3.5mm jack works fine, to get you up and running, however something like this would act as a DAC between the ipod and the A19, to give you much better sound quality at a sensible volume level: http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/hrt-istreamer-idevice-dac

Nice bit of kit to be honest, depending upon overall budget?

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Have you got the volume turned up to max on your phone? I suspect not, so easily solved.

A 3.5mm cable is the easiest and cheapest way to connect and works fine. If you want to go up a level in terms of sound quality get a dock /line out cable. Which one you need depends on which iPhone you have connector - 30 pin or lightning connector. The former is straightforward and fairly low cost; it sounds better because it is bypassing some of the (poor) electronics in the phone. In this mode it outputs a fixed level signal, so the volume control doesn't work. If you've got a more modern phone/ipad you'll need the specific Apple connector that has a DAC built into it - from memory about £25, then a cable from that to the amp (can't remember which, your 3.5mm one may be the right one)

The solution suggested above is taking things to the next level, you will be able to get enough volume without going to this level.

gadge

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi - many thanks for the feedback. Although I did say the issue was with my Ipod [not Iphone or Ipad] your reply made me try the same set up with my iphone & ipad ie using a 3.5mm to 3.5mm direct connection from device headphone socket to A19 aux socket. Both my iphone and ipad actually work fine this way and the volume doesn't need to be so high. I then had another look at my Ipod and on investigation it seems in settings that there was a volume lock in place which was keeping it low. By adjusting this it does in fact seem now to work fine although the setting is actually temperamental as it works whilst a track is playing but if you go back to the menu it resets itself so think I might need it to be looked at.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts