Connecting Cassette Deck to Yamaha AV

Hi,

I'm trying to get an output signal from my Yamaha RX-A3050 to go to a cassette deck to record a few things. There isn't an established analogue line-out it would seem, so the only option appears to be using the pre-out. I've connected up and despite trying a whole host of settings I'm getting no signal on the cassette deck. I get that this is pre-amp, but I don't want to push the volume too high and risk blowing my speakers.

I have read elsewhere that connecting a pre-amp to the pre-out may do what is necessary to boost the signal sufficiently for the cassette deck to detect it and enable a good recording. Is this an acceptable method, I'm a bit hestitant as don't want to damage expensive equipment!

Thanks,

Rob.

Gray

Is this an acceptable method
Not really Rob.
What source are you trying to record?
If it was an analogue source into the the AV amp, it could go direct to the cass deck.

Otherwise disconnect your speakers (at the amp end - or ensure no short circuits if disconnecting speaker ends!) - and monitor the recording on headphones connected to the cass deck.

Tricky, as you are finding out.
Better to buy a cheap second hand stereo integrated with a Tape Out pair of sockets than trying to get something else to do what it was never designed to do.......
Depends on what you are trying to record from mind you.

jjbomber

Hi,

I'm trying to get an output signal from my Yamaha RX-A3050 to go to a cassette deck to record a few things. There isn't an established analogue line-out it would seem, so the only option appears to be using the pre-out. I've connected up and despite trying a whole host of settings I'm getting no signal on the cassette deck. I get that this is pre-amp, but I don't want to push the volume too high and risk blowing my speakers.

I have read elsewhere that connecting a pre-amp to the pre-out may do what is necessary to boost the signal sufficiently for the cassette deck to detect it and enable a good recording. Is this an acceptable method, I'm a bit hestitant as don't want to damage expensive equipment!

Thanks,

Rob.
Use the headphone output. You either need an adapter or a 3.6mm to twin RCA cable. Assuming you already have the cable that you are currently trying to use, you just need one of these:

Gray

...maybe compare the h/p output with the full preamp out (when monitoring on the cassette deck)
If you don't hear a difference (y)
(Maybe quality is not critical anyway for tape ??)

Think I saw a 'zone' output in a blurred photo. Maybe what you want can come out of that??

OK, thanks all... think I might hook it up to a different amp that I don't yet have. I've been impressed by Yamaha's, so am looking for something that has the following:

4K outputs
Bluetooth and/or AirPlay
AV out/line-out for cassette deck
Video inputs for laserdisc and VHS
Phono in
5.1 output with all relevant decoding (DTS, Dolby Digital, etc.)

Looking to pick something up off eBay in £100-£150 range. I've come across these: RX-A730 and RX-V775. Any other models I should keep an eye out for that meet my spec and price range?

Thanks,

Rob.

OK, thanks all... think I might hook it up to a different amp that I don't yet have. I've been impressed by Yamaha's, so am looking for something that has the following:

4K outputs
Bluetooth and/or AirPlay
AV out/line-out for cassette deck
Video inputs for laserdisc and VHS
Phono in
5.1 output with all relevant decoding (DTS, Dolby Digital, etc.)

Looking to pick something up off eBay in £100-£150 range. I've come across these: RX-A730 and RX-V775. Any other models I should keep an eye out for that meet my spec and price range?

Thanks,

Rob.
I didn't even know they had those inputs.
You are trying the near impossible when it comes to getting an AV amp to do the work that a standard stereo amp would do.
These are two completely different scenarios and best kept separate.

Reactions: Friesiansam and Dom

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts