connecting AV Reciever with integrated amp Powering front channels?

krish123

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

so currently I have a 2.2 hifi system but also want to be able to execute 5.2 for watching films.

im trying to forward plan here so I haven't got a receiver as yet but it will be a fairly new Marantz one.

The integrated amp is Marantz PM11-S3.

My question is how do I connect this all up so that when I watch a film I can do that all through the receiver without having to disconnect cables and plug them in elsewhere. I would want the integrated amp to drive the front speakers still and the receiver the rest of the speakers.

the Subs I have is REL S3, which is connected to my speakers binding posts using the neutrik cable but they also have low level connections which I could use to connect them to the av receiver?

I hope what I am asking makes sense if not just ask and il clarify!

Thanks

jjbomber

krish123 said:
Hi All,

so currently I have a 2.2 hifi system but also want to be able to execute 5.2 for watching films.

im trying to forward plan here so I haven't got a receiver as yet but it will be a fairly new Marantz one.

My question is how do I connect this all up so that when I watch a film I can do that all through the receiver without having to disconnect cables and plug them in elsewhere. I would want the integrated amp to drive the front speakers still and the receiver the rest of the speakers.

the Subs I have is REL S3, which is connected to my speakers binding posts using the neutrik cable but they also have low level connections which I could use to connect them to the av receiver?

I hope what I am asking makes sense if not just ask and il clarify!

Thanks

Just use the pre-outs on the AV amplifier to the line-in of the integrated amp. If you have the option, set the unity gain to fixed, so that the AV amp controls the volume of the power amp. Then, when you increase or decrease the volume on the AV amp for films, the integrated amp. Other stereo connections connect straight to the integrated, as you currently have.

Any good hi-fi retailler will install this for you. They may be a little bit more expensive, but you get what you pay for. It may be worth the extra if you are not sure. They will also set up Audussey, so that your speakers are set up correctly. Where by in the country are you? Someone on here will probably know of a good retailler with great service where you live.

krish123

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply ,

That makes sense using the pre outs , does that make the av receiver in control but the power still supplied by the integrated for fronts?

what about the subs then most Marantz receivers have 2 subwoofer connections so I can connect them using low level interconnects I think.

i am based in the midlands.

jjbomber

krish123 said:
Thanks for the reply ,

That makes sense using the pre outs , does that make the av receiver in control but the power still supplied by the integrated for fronts?

what about the subs then most Marantz receivers have 2 subwoofer connections so I can connect them using low level interconnects I think.

i am based in the midlands.

The AV amp will control the volume on the integrated amp, but the power comes from the integrated. Basically you keep the sound you love. You can still connect the CD and all the stereo compements direct to the integrated amp and just change the input selection to the AV amp when watching films. Your integrated is a serious piece of kit, so I would use that for all stereo sources. The exception would be bluetooth, Spotify and streaming. Not sure which AV amp you will choose, but most of the Marantz AV amps have great connectivity. So, for example, you could use the Spotify Connect app on the AV amp to send the stereo signal via the pre-outs to your integrated. It should sound excellent compared to anything else.

There are several members on here from the Midlands. I'm sure they can recommend a few retaillers for you. Do you have an exact Marantz model in mind?

krish123

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

urm I’m thinking the sr5012.

now one last question, the subwoofers I have is rel s/3 they are connected to my speaker binding posts directly with neutric cable.

To make connection to the av receiver I would use the low level connections right? And set the freq cut off on the av receiver ?

jjbomber

krish123 said:
Thanks for the replies.

now one last question, the subwoofers I have is rel s/3 they are connected to my speaker binding posts directly with neutric cable.

To make connection to the av receiver I would use the low level connections right? And set the freq cut off on the av receiver ?

Two low level LFE connections, one coaxial cable to each. The freq cut off is probably on the REL. I have the Marantz NR1608 connected to a Naim stereo amp and REL Stampede. So fairly similar but your REL may be different.

Dealers in the Midlands include Music Matters. Creative Audio, Frank Harvey and Richer Sounds. If you want to set it up yourself, it is very easy for anyone who's had an amp before, then you can shop around the internet. Best I could find was the SR6012 at £749, rather than the SR5012.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
jjbomber said:
krish123 said:
Thanks for the replies.

Two low level LFE connections, one coaxial cable to each. The freq cut off is probably on the REL. I have the Marantz NR1608 connected to a Naim stereo amp and REL Stampede. So fairly similar but your REL may be different.

Dealers in the Midlands include Music Matters. Creative Audio, Frank Harvey and Richer Sounds. If you want to set it up yourself, it is very easy for anyone who's had an amp before, then you can shop around the internet. Best I could find was the SR6012 at £749, rather than the SR5012.
Using Marantz and Naim for home cinema very two different systems. Wonder if you don't experience any tonal balance issues matching the two watching movies.

jjbomber

Native_bon said:
Using Marantz and Naim for home cinema very two different systems. Wonder if you don't experience any tonal balance issues matching the two watching movies.

I watch a film once a month, if that. I don't watch TV. I use the Marantz for Spotify and Bluetooth far more than for films. So while you are probably right, it doesn't affect my personal preferences. That combination may not work for others.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
krish123 said:
My question is how do I connect this all up so that when I watch a film I can do that all through the receiver without having to disconnect cables and plug them in elsewhere. I would want the integrated amp to drive the front speakers still and the receiver the rest of the speakers

The PM-11S3 has a power amp direct input for just this situation. Connect the front L/R preouts of the receiver to this input, and when you want to use the receiver press the P.DIRECT IN button on the front of the PM-11S3 for a couple of seconds until the amp's display shows 'POWER AMP DIRECT'. The preamp section of the amp is bypassed, and the signal goes straight from the receiver to the amp's power section. When you want to go back to normal listening, press the button again and you get normal amp operation, volume control, etc..

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Native_bon said:

The equalisation built into the Audyssey system should take care of this.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
If you only ever want 5.? surround it would be worthwhile looking at the Marantz "slimline" range, e.g NR-1507, 1508 (both 5.2), 1607 and 1608 (7.2). All of these should still be available as new, left-over, stock, as Marantz recently brought out its 1509/1609 models.

I recently bought a brand new 1608 (7.2). It has preamp outputs (RCA sockets) for the front left and right. Its only rated for 50 watts per channel, but that's plenty anyway really, and more than enough if the thing is only going to be driving the center and surrounds.

Another word of advice would be to invest in a center channel speaker worthy of your "proper stereo" speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts