Connecting AV receiver to stereo amp

Glen12

Jan 24, 2009
Visit site
I have Marantz CD6004 and PM6004 connected to Monitor Audio Bronze 2 speakers for stereo duties. I need to add an AV Amp due to multiple HDMI sources. I wish to keep my stereo set up as it is with speakers connected to stereo amp. My question is how best to use both systems (for now front speakers is all I will use). Which would be best/safer ensuring optimum audio quality?

A) Connect AV Receiver to stereo amp (via front speaker analogue connections from audio pre-out to AUX in stereo amp)?

or

B) As I do not bi-wire speakers (I preferred sound this way) with stereo amp (therefore only using x1 pair of terminals) is it possible to use the other x1 pair terminals of speaker directly connected to AV Receiver with another speaker cable? I would then not need to have both amps on if watching HDMI sources. ( so x2 runs of cable from speaker-x1 to stereo amp, x1 to AV Amp) Is this safe for the amps/any advantage?

Thanks

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
FWIW I kept my systems separate - they share the same room but I have the space for two sets of speakers.

I would not (and have not) tried your Plan B, the chances of accidently having boths amps sending signals to the speakers is too high - hopefully someone else will tell you what might happen.

For Plan A you will need an AV amp that has PRE OUTS - so you need to research amps that have this and see whether they fit into your budget. For example both the Yamaha V673 and Onkyo TX-NR616 do not have pre-outs - so unless you buy second-hand, you will have to pay £600+ for an amp with pre-outs. Also, if your Marantz amp does not have 'unity gain' (which I don't think it has) you will not be able to adjust the volume of both amps automatically. There is a WHF video on how to do this manually.

Once you start using an AV amp, you will soon want a centre speaker, and so forth - so you may want to consider at this stage what your budget might be and have an idea of what 5.1 packages fit your budget.

Hopefully another forum member who does use an AV & HiFi amp combination can add further advice.

Glen12

Jan 24, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for reply. On the back of the Yamaha RX-V673 there are L R Audio out and Zone 2 pre outs. Is this not what I need?

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi Glen, on my Onkyo TX-NR609, Zone 2 will only allow output of analog input sources - no digital sources. And there are no other 'audio outs' that I can see for outputting to another amp. I've double-checked the instruction manual.

Looking at the Yamaha specs online - look at the connectivity. Can you check with your local retailer or see if you can view online the instruction manual for the Yamaha which should give more detail.

Hopefully someone else here can clarify this.

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Hiya Glenn ,

Is the L R output for subs or a front speakers preout ?, if it's a front speakers preout it means you can add power amps , or in your case a stereo amp to drive the front pair mix using the AV amp to drive the other speakers . The Zone 2 will be a stereo out so will not allow you to use your speakers in a 5.1 set up later on if you go for 5.1. By this I mean you will get a stereo output not the Dolby front L/R mix .

For connections while you have two speakers , connect the zone 2 to the tape IN on the Marantz , set the volume control on the Marantz to say 9 o'clock ( as an easy place to remember ) and while watching movies use the " tape monitor " button on the amp , this way you can select any input on the AV amp and use the volume control of the AV amp . Then when listening to music you use your amp as normal ( with the tape montior button unselected )

Hope this Helps

James

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Glen12 said:
I have Marantz CD6004 and PM6004 connected to Monitor Audio Bronze 2 speakers for stereo duties. I need to add an AV Amp due to multiple HDMI sources. I wish to keep my stereo set up as it is with speakers connected to stereo amp. My question is how best to use both systems (for now front speakers is all I will use). Which would be best/safer ensuring optimum audio quality?

A) Connect AV Receiver to stereo amp (via front speaker analogue connections from audio pre-out to AUX in stereo amp)?

or

B) As I do not bi-wire speakers (I preferred sound this way) with stereo amp (therefore only using x1 pair of terminals) is it possible to use the other x1 pair terminals of speaker directly connected to AV Receiver with another speaker cable? I would then not need to have both amps on if watching HDMI sources. ( so x2 runs of cable from speaker-x1 to stereo amp, x1 to AV Amp) Is this safe for the amps/any advantage?

Thanks

There is another option though for an AV receiver with no Pre Outs which I went with as my previous Onkyo 609 didn't have them although my Yamaha RX-A2020 does but I've not worked out how to add my Marantz PM6004 to it yet.

You could buy one of these:

http://www.beresford.me/products/TC-7220.html

It's a brilliant device that doesn't degrade the stereo signal or colour it in any way and allows you to use the fronts as a stereo pair and in a 5.1 system with just a press of a button. I can say for certain that it's a great solution and a small box, you wire the fronts into the box and out again to your receiver and job done...it doesn't even require a power source as it's just passing audio through and is a brilliant solution. It's made for people in your position :grin:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts