Connecting an old micro system (cd player) to new marantz sr6009 AV Receiver

hermonystra

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
Greetings,

I'm curious as to whether it would be possible to connect my old micro system (Sony CHC-TB10) to my marantz SR6009 purely as a temporary cd player for my setup. (Planning on buying a UD7007 somewhere in the future). (The manual can be found at http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4239183112.pdf) or at the Sony support page for the mentioned model. Either way I'm not sure how best to go about trying to set it up. I assume going through pre-amp doesn't apply here as I want it hooked up to the main receiver and speakers as a cd player? Maybe I'm missing something but it just doesn't seem straight forward to me.

Thanks for reading,

Thomas

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The Sony microsystem has an output described as a 'digital jack', which sounds like a regular toslink optical connector, though the propriety term (Toslink) is not used by Sony. (Just check that it looks the same as the Toslink connectors on the AVR)

If this is the case then use a regular, inexpensive, toslink cable to connect from there into a spare Toslink input on the AVR. Any input selected on the Sony should then play through the AVR, just treat it as a regular input.

iMark

When I first read your question, I thought this was never going to work. But after reading the manual, I found that Sony unit has got an optical output. Originally this was for connecting a Minidisc recorder to the unit. But I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to use a Toslink (optical) cable to connect the Sony unit to your Marantz SR 6009. Basically you will then use he Sony as a CD transport and the Marantz acts as the DAC.

We have a similar Sony unit in our bedroom and that also has a digital (optical) output (which I had never used before). I have taken the unit downstairs and connected it to our DAC (and the rest of the stereo) and it works fine.

So if you don't have a cable to connect the Sony to the Marantz, all you need is Toslink cable like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Optical-Lead-TOSlink-Plug-1-8M/dp/B0040DIJU6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1455796689&sr=8-4&keywords=toslink+optical+cable

You might be able to find one in a local shop or supermarket.

iMark

davedotco said:
The Sony microsystem has an output described as a 'digital jack', which sounds like a regular toslink optical connector, though the propriety term (Toslink) is not used by Sony. (Just check that it looks the same as the Toslink connectors on the AVR)

If this is the case then use a regular, inexpensive, toslink cable to connect from there into a spare Toslink input on the AVR. Any input selected on the Sony should then play through the AVR, just treat it as a regular input.

On our Sony unit it says 'CD digital out' These units don't have a built-in ADC (Analogue to Digital Converter). So analogue signals like the FM tuner and the cassette player don't output anything through the digital output. Only the CD player will give a digital signal from the Toslink output.

hermonystra

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
Hi to all who replied,

Thanks for the warm welcome. Can't believe I've had this system for over 10 years and still never noticed the damn toslink. I'll give it a shot and I'll let you know about the results.

Thanks everyone, lets me save some hard earned bucks for a bit :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts