Confused: review of Cyrus 6 XP in Hi-fi News

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
In the november issue of Hi-Fi News there is an integrated amplifier group test. In that group test the Cyrus 6 XP ended last after the Creek Evo 5350, Denon PMA-1510AE, Marantz PM-8003, Musical Fidelity M3i and Pioneer A-A9MK2.

I find this very strange. Can anyone explain why this result is completely conflicting with the What Hifi results?

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
ErwinC:
In the november issue of Hi-Fi News there is an integrated amplifier group test. In that group test the Cyrus 6 XP ended last after the Creek Evo 5350, Denon PMA-1510AE, Marantz PM-8003, Musical Fidelity M3i and Pioneer A-A9MK2.

I find this very strange. Can anyone explain why this result is completely conflicting with the What Hifi results?

It's a well known fact that any Cyrus gear always receives rave reviews at WHF. There was a similar goup test of amplifiers in Hi Fi Choice a short while ago and the Cyrus 8XP was near the rear of the field in that test as well. Two different mags not as convinced by the brilliance of Cyrus as WHF it would seem.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Different people have different tastes.

Rather than the actual scores or rankings, you can probably get more from the reviews by looking at the reasons why te product was rated highly.

Some reviewers may give preference to highly detailed and neutral products, others may prefer a more laid back and sweeter/more musical sound. This could result in completely different ratings. Rather than what hifi having a bias in favour of Cyrus, maybe the reviewers just prefer the qualities that Cyrus products provide.

The same applies to the comments of people on forums. All down to personal taste (except for me, I'm in the pocket of Nordost, Arcam, Oyaide and Esoteric $$$
emotion-5.gif
)

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
You're confused? Are you under the impression this is an exact science? What's confusing? Are you confused that we don't all like the same cars? Or the same clothing? Or the same movies?

Although....everyone does agree my system is best, so maybe you're onto something...
emotion-4.gif

scene

They're all good amps and music is highly subjective. When I bought my Arcam A85 + DV88, I also auditioned a Cyrus setup. It was good, but too clinical for my tastes. And one reviewer's "clinical", is another's "precise and uncoloured".

At the end of the day, read different reviews, look at what is actually said, rather than just bland ratings, and go out and demo the kit. And don't forget, that the same amp paired with different speakers, cables, in different rooms will sound different

Maybe an idea for a big question, the impact of a room on a set up - rugs, soft furnishings, etc...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
scene:And don't forget, that the same amp paired with different speakers, cables, in different rooms will sound different

Maybe an idea for a big question, the impact of a room on a set up - rugs, soft furnishings, etc...

Indeed. Throw your rugs over your speakers and - voil… - any Cyrus system can be an Arcam !

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby:

scene:And don't forget, that the same amp paired with different speakers, cables, in different rooms will sound different

Indeed. Throw your rugs over your speakers and - voil… - any Cyrus system can be an Arcam !

I'd level that comparison more at Monitor Audio, at least the RS series ...
emotion-2.gif

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I am also confused because of the sonic properties of the Cyrus according to the Hi-Fi News reviewer. These are different from my own experience and other reviews. Some extracts from the review:

"compared with the more vivid sounding Marantz ...."

"The Cyrus's fulsome bass robbed the sound of both low-end articulation and hear-through clarity"

" Its warm balance doubtless will ameliorate the coarse nature of inexpensive speakers. "

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
In that case I'd trust your own experience and the views of reviewers whose opinions are closer to your own tests. As mentioned, it could also be down to system synergies and room interactions as well as personal preference.

Luckily you have experienced it yourself. No matter what anyone else says, if you don't like the sound then it isn't right for you.

Then again I know I've gone looking for further reviews even once I've purchased something and am enjoying it.

scene

drummerman:chebby:

I'd level that comparison more at Monitor Audio, at least the RS series ...
emotion-2.gif

So that was my mistake, rather than buying an Arcam and MA speakers, I should have gone for the Cyrus setup and nipped down to Rugs'r'us
emotion-2.gif

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I have followed a number of these magazine over the last 3 years and WHF definately have a much higher opinion of Cyrus than some of the others.

Cyrus clearly makes great products but with a character that is clean, upfront and as mentioned a more clinical approach, also sometimes cited as lean. Whether that is better or worse than others is open to endless debate.

Demo and work out what presentation you like and then you can also learn which magazines generally share a closer view to your own. I prefer a sweeter and more musically rounded presentation with fuller bass than what Cyrus offer.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Well this is the Hi-Fi industry in a nutshell really, it's subjective - if one product was simply the best, no questions asked, then that would be that and all the other companies would shut up shop. The fact there are thousands of companies producing Hi-Fi around the World shows that there is no magic solution that suits everyone's tastes and that's a good thing! The diversity on offer to enthusiasts is what many find so enticing (and infuriating at the same time!), you can tailor and tweak a system to produce what YOU consider the best sound for you.

What Hi-Fi? have always been honest about their reviews, they are a guide based on experienced opinions, not a book of facts. I'm not particularly keen on Cyrus when mixed with our speakers, like some others I find the combination too forward and aggressive at times - with that said I have also heard Cyrus systems I've liked the sound of when partnered with other products. There are probably very few "bad" products being made by reputable manufacturers, but the system in which a product is used, as well as the room can affect the sound massively (as well as the tastes of the individual reviewers being a factor).

What Hi-Fi? are actually better positioned with their reviews than many other publications in one respect - they review as a team, you're not getting one person's opinion so generally the consensus is a fairer appraisal. If I'm honest I do worry when I send product in (it's like sending your kids to School on exam day!), one aspect of that is the room the product is tested in - WHF's rooms are well designed and pretty neutral from what I've heard in them and that's all you can ask really. The product used with the speakers is more worrying as you are not told what is going to be partnered with your product and you certainly can't dictate such things!

From a manufacturers point of view it would be handy to know and have this information in the reviews, or even better to know beforehand so you could decide whether it's even worth sending something it that you know may not work in combination - the risk would be that manufacturers could start bulllying the mags to get their way and that's not in the best interests of the general public...

At the end of the day everyone is in the same boat and trends and magazine reference systems change so you can't let it affect your (the manufacturer) decisions too much - sometimes your "sound" may be in favour and partnered with something that compliments it well, other times not. All the UK magazines I've dealt with are honest in my experience and there are too many factors to say one opinion is right and another wrong, just use them as intended as a guide toward listening to a shortlist of product you think will suit your tastes when considering a purchase!

(In the meantime I'm still going to carry on trying to pursue more active speaker options to take a variable out of that chain!
emotion-5.gif
)

staggerlee

Apr 11, 2008
Visit site
i still don't understand what the confusion is. So one mag liked it and another didn't. It happens in all publications, ie car reviews, computer mags, film reviews etc etc A lot of hifi equipments has its own particular sound that you may or may not like. As always demo the equipment and decide for yourself.

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
And in another Hifi Mag for October the 8XPd came in joint first with a valve effort. It doesn't really matter as everyone has a preference. The beauty of Cyrus is the cheaper upgrade option and the ability to add other boxes to aid improvement. They now offer the d version of the 6XP which again is logical owing to the increased interest in wifi/mp3 sources at a now affordable package.

The beauty of Hifi is there are a lot of choices and after a year of listening to different alternatives I like the exuberance of the 8XPd, but again my choice.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
staggerlee:i still don't understand what the confusion is. So one mag liked it and another didn't. It happens in all publications, ie car reviews, computer mags, film reviews etc etc A lot of hifi equipments has its own particular sound that you may or may not like. As always demo the equipment and decide for yourself.

Yes, totally agree. I've always had high regard for both magazines and although some readers might claim to detect systematic bias in WHF's reviews, I have found none - they'll call a spade a spade if they deem it necessary.

The other mags have their own strengths - I like the idea of blind listening tests for example, using members of the hi-fi industry and not just inhouse reviewers. Then there're the US mags like Stereophile, which gives equal emphasis to technical measurements (much of which I don't understand!) as it does to subjective listening tests.

I'd say that reviews are to be used to narrow down the listening field but shouldn't be taken to be the gospel truth...

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Why believe any magazine review? The only way to tell is to hear a system yourself in a shop or better still in your own home.

Cyrus is slagged off by some magazines and several forums but I like them. Am I mad? Probably.

I changed from this magazines favourite speaker cable (QED SA biwire) to Chord Oddysey and was very pleased. Forums slag off both!

A

Anonymous

the whole issue is depending on what people expect.

I don't undestand the word "musical". I like to hear what has been recorded not less and not more.The opposite seems to be coloured and the same applies for speakers. They should transfer the signals they receive and not colour these. I'm using the monitor from AE = AE1 MK3.

Musical is the recording or the artist.

I have a Cyrus set up Pre-xP and X-Power. The only problem I have now, is that poor recordings are becoming even more worst and good recordings better.

Edgar

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
Edgar Eichmann:
the whole issue is depending on what people expect.

I don't undestand the word "musical". I like to hear what has been recorded not less and not more.The opposite seems to be coloured and the same applies for speakers. They should transfer the signals they receive and not colour these. I'm using the monitor from AE = AE1 MK3.

Musical is the recording or the artist.

I have a Cyrus set up Pre-xP and X-Power. The only problem I have now, is that poor recordings are becoming even more worst and good recordings better.

Edgar

I agree. I also have a PreXPd and X Power and have found the same thing - poor recordings leave me flat, but well good recordings are a joy! Everything is so much clearer and less "murky" so both the good and bad is revealed. This is what I want: to hear it as recorded. If you don't want such a revealing sound, get Arcam (this is not a criticism; used to have Arcam and enjoyed it a lot!).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts