Confused.Com

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
DVD to Analogue Amp (2 channel) and TV

I wonder might someone enlighten me??

I have purchasing hi-fi for a few years now, but alas have found myself caught up in the digital revolution! However, as I have not kept abreast of technological advances and as a result find myself confused.

Believe it or not I am about to purchase my first DVD player. I will eventually split my systems into dedicated Hi-Fi and AV setup's. but for now I have to integrate the two, which, when allied to my lack of digi-nous, is leading me to some difficulty with regard to 'how to connect the bloody stuff'!!

For now, I just want to connect a dvd player (samsung f1080) to both my old (earmarked for replacement) TV (scart/component in only!) and my NAD C370 Amp. I understand that component is not good, and will replace with HDMI cables when i get the new box, but i was wondering how i can get my dvd to my amp (eg digi to analogue) without using a DAC. What will coaxial outs on a dvd let me do? do dvd's come with analogue outs as standard? When I upgrade HDMI TV how then will it connect to my 2 channell while i save for an AV amp??

as you might tell, I am a digi novice, so all advice on how to get my dvd to my amp and ageing tv will be appreciated.

System:

Atacama stands/rack; Chord Chameleon Silver Plus/Rumour 2; AE Evo (1, 3 & C); Nad c370; arcam alpha 7 cdp; CA Azur 640p; Technics SL1210mk2; Samsung DVD-F1080

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
It will be easy to set up your system, but only if you buy the right DVD player! ÿOn no account buy the Samsung - it doesn't have any audio outputs that you can use at present, so you'd only get sound from your TV.

I suggest that you consider the Toshiba SD580 (£60), which was given 5 stars by What Hi-Fi. ÿConnect this to your TV by Scart lead - this will give you picture and sound. ÿIf you want stereo sound via your hi-fi system, connect the DVD player to your amp using a twin phono lead.

When you upgrade your TV the DVD player will connect to it with an HDMI cable (instead of your Scart). ÿWhen you add an AV amp, remove that cable from the TV and plug it into the amp. ÿThen buy a second cable which will go from the amp to the TV.ÿYou should aim to route all your other inputs via the amp and use it as the hub of your new system.

A

Anonymous

A lot of DVD players have audio out. Luckily acording to the manual so does yours. Use a pair of RCA cables to take the audio feed from your DVD to your amp using the most suitable line in on the back of the amp the Video or Aux inputs would be good choices.

This will send stereo sound to your amp which will then play through the speakers.

Your DVD player has component output - connect these to the component input on you TV.

If your TV only has SCART input then you need something like this - HQ Silver Series Scart to Component Video Cable.

http://www.futureshop.co.uk/hq-silver-series-scart-to-component-video-cable-15m-p-1186.html

Be careful as this type of lead will sometimes not be compatible with your TV.

A

Anonymous

Sorreltiger:

It will be easy to set up your system, but only if you buy the right DVD player! .

I thought that - but if you read the manual for this DVD player on the Samsung site it can be done.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies.

I thought I was missing something! Didn't realise that DVD players do not have audio outs as standard!! Its just a case of sending 1 component lead to the front of TV (video in) and the other two to my Amp then. If the audio doesn't have audio (about to consult site) am i right in thinking that i could take a coaxial out to a DAC and then get sound??

Can you buy dedicated 1 lead component of any note??

Thanks for advice on upgrades. HDMI to Amp to TV advice gives me a sense of direction....

Thanks again

A

Anonymous

No Worries Sorreltiger,

You might have averted a disaster!! As it turns out (providing Samsung's site is correct) the player has audio outs, and from the manual I have been able to ascertain that I can get a picture through the single video in on my TV, and connect the player to my Amp.

Result!!

Cheers

A

Anonymous

The video output you are using is the (yellow) composite one by the sound of it?

You would do better to use the component (red, blue and green) sockets for video if your TV will accept a component input. or buy the converter cable to convert compnent to SCART. Probably still better picture quality than composite.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts