Confused about the best way to passive bi-amp Int and Power amps

JT71

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I've recently acquired a Roksan Kandy K2 Integrated and Power amp, and I'm confused about the best way to bi-amp them, having read a lot of conflicting advice. Some people are saying have one amp powering the bass of both speakers, the other powering both tweeters (I'm assuming Power amp into the bass, intergrated into the tweeters although guessing it makes negligible difference); Other advice says that as they are identical amps in output and gain it's better to have an amp powering each speaker.

Logic may suggest that one amp powering each speaker is more effective - as the majority of power is taken up by the bass units this way you have virtually a whole amp able to power each bass unit (with a small amount direected towards the tweeter). The other way around you would still only have one amp powering both bass units, which seems to negate much of the benefit of the power increase in bi-amping?

I've also read posts that say that passive bi-amping is almost a waste of time and the money is better spent elsewhere - if this is the case I'll sell the Power amp and put the money towards my speaker upgrade as I'm not married to the idea of keeping both amps (I bought the power amp second hand so could sell on without losing money).

I may be wrong - any views most appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

James.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
As you've got both. I'd say go for it.

I felt long term ownership of the k2 wasn't great, and it was always my intention to add a power amp. This was based on nothing more than a gut feeling though.

JT71

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Directed towards Richardw42 -

Can i ask why you felt long term ownership of the K2 wasn't good, any probs or just not right for you?

I'm planning on trying the power and seeing if it makes enough tangible difference to warrant keeping over and above just the integrated. Nice thing about buying my gear used is that I feel I could sell without losing any ££, downside is i have to improvise a bit on auditioning with differently matched kit.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I was initially impressed with it.

Ultimately though I can't equate my ownership with the reviews. The stated 125 wpc seems a tad optimistic to me. Didnt seem in control of the speakers, not to mention from a user experience i found it less than perfect, weird stand by, poor remote, the volume knob on the unit was less than satisfactory. Was it a case of poor speakers matching ? Maybe. I only tried Monitor Audio RS6 & GS10. The biggest problem is that I came from a Musical Fidelity XA2, big mistake

tomlinscote

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
You can go to the Roksan website and download the manuals for both the int amp and the power amp they will tell you how to wire them up.

I have the Kandy 3 power amp fed into MA RS6 speakers and I found it to be a good match nice clean bass and plenty of it together with a generally pleasant (to me) sound.

In general with power amps they drive the bass section and the integrated drives the treble section, you should find a difference in sound but if it is not a large enough difference like you said you can sell the power amp on, I'm sure it will go fast!

Tommo

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts