Computer speaker for 400€/300£

Hi at all!

I'm new of this forum, so I really hope to have chose the right section XD

I have a pc with an external adusio card Asus Xonar U7. Right now I'm using bose Companion 2.1, but i'm starting to want something better, so i thought about a new pair of speakers with maybe a subwoofer. I listen mostly metal,rock and classic, andsometime I watch films on my pc.

I found Wharfedale Diamond 220 and 10.2 for 270€, and I read that there are the best speakers for 300€. There is something better for 100€ more?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Lorenzo Ricci said:
Hi at all!

I'm new of this forum, so I really hope to have chose the right section XD

I have a pc with an external adusio card Asus Xonar U7. Right now I'm using bose Companion 2.1, but i'm starting to want something better, so i thought about a new pair of speakers with maybe a subwoofer. I listen mostly metal,rock and classic, andsometime I watch films on my pc.

I found Wharfedale Diamond 220 and 10.2 for 270€, and I read that there are the best speakers for 300€. There is something better for 100€ more?

Do you have an amplifier? If not you probably want an active pair with built-in amplification etc.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
B&W MM-1 are really good as PC-Speakers within your budget.They seem not to sound good on paper and pictures but they do... get a demo if you can.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
You may be able to bag a pair of Kef 300a's second hand.

There is a pair on the bay for £499 starting price, with a couple of days to go. Perhaps a tad optimistic as you can buy them for £600 new.

I'd contact the seller and offer £420 for a quick sale ... if they appeal to you.

Thanks a lot for all your answers! I checked all, and sadly in italy i only found Audioengine 5+.

So what is bettere? Audioengine 5+ or Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 with an amp(in that case i must found one too)?

Or there are other good speakers for rock/metal?

rainsoothe

ChrisIRL said:
Ruark MR1 or Audioengine A5+ are both very good. Neither require an amp and are within budget.

+1 to this. You need active studio monitors, which you can plug into your Xonar. I don't remember prices, but Yamaha HS7 (or HS5 with a sub) should be perfect for you. If they're out of your price range, try to find a pair of Yamaha HS80 (the previous generation) - they should be perfect for you. If neither fits your budget, look at a pair of Presonus Eris 5.

You can find all of these (minus the Yamaha HS80, since it's out of production) on a website called thomann - or whatever store you find near you. Goodluck.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Lorenzo Ricci said:
Thanks a lot for all your answers! I checked all, and sadly in italy i only found Audioengine 5+.

So what is bettere? Audioengine 5+ or Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 with an amp(in that case i must found one too)?

Or there are other good speakers for rock/metal?

I think the A5+ will suit your needs well. They are excellent with rock and metal. They are larger than your typical desk top speaker, 5 inch woofers, so you may not even need a sub. They can play extremely loudly too should the need arise! I think Audioengine offer a 30 day home trial, but that might only be in the U.S.

It sounds like you might be stuck deciding between desk top speakers or a traditional amp/ speaker set up. For your specified budget you'll get better quality desk top speakers than you will separates.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Lorenzo Ricci said:
Actually i can found the A5+ for 390€, or yamaha HS7 for the same price :) I'll start some research so!

The bamboo ones are nice and usually more expensive

http://www.amazon.it/Audioengine-Altoparlante-attivo-bambù-Regno/dp/B0071CC3MI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1441976272&sr=8-3&keywords=audioengine.it

ChrisIRL said:
Lorenzo Ricci said:
Actually i can found the A5+ for 390€, or yamaha HS7 for the same price :) I'll start some research so!

The bamboo ones are nice and usually more expensive

http://www.amazon.it/Audioengine-Altoparlante-attivo-bambù-Regno/dp/B0071CC3MI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1441976272&sr=8-3&keywords=audioengine.it

I saw exactly that :D but white are my favourites XD i'll try to find them instead of bamboo version.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Can also recommend Audio Pro AddonT8 at £250 - great sound, bluetooth as well as two analogue inputs and a fantastic lttle remote milled from a solid chunk of aluminium. Wall mounting brackets available to free up desk space. A nice product all round.

Matthew8888

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I would sugges the Adam f5, a very good pair of bookshelves, front ported . If not them then the yamaha h5s or h7s are very good but rear ported . ( one of the benefits of studio monitors is the eq adjustments which can help with room induced problems).

From Thomann you can get h5 for 340 euros and the other 2 are bang on 400 euro.

I once had a pair of audio engine a2. Whilst initially impressive they had a huge bump in the 100hz region to give the impression of more bass and were very muffled as a result. I would recommend no less than a 5 inch bass driver if you like rock. Also you should chose a speaker based on the size on your room ie larger room=larger bass driver.

Be careful though, if you have too large a driver, sorting the acoustics out, though possible and probably very beneficial, is a real pain if you are not intrested in that sort of thing.

Also raise your speakers of your desktop as much as you can (experiment) to get the best sound from your speakers.

Good luck!!!!

TRENDING THREADS