Computer graphics/audio card to av amp

beaker_07

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
Currently I have my desktop connected from my video card to my amp with a hdmi cable and my amp connected to my tv with a hdmi (ARC) cable.

I can play itunes audio and any of my video files without any problems. I cannot however get any sound from youtube or any radio stations - I'm guessing I need to use a mini headphone to twin phono cable for this.

I can only select one thing on the amp which is currently the hdmi in the media player slot.

The same type of problem exists with my blu ray player which is connected with an hdmi cable in that i cannot use it as a cd transport and play music from it and use my computer!?

I'm probably doing something simple wrong but how can I get access to both audio and video files?

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Hi Beaker,

If the HDMI cables pass sound for itunes and video, they should be OK for passing sound from any program to your sound system. It's probably a settings issue. Which programs are you using for video?

I'd start by checking the sound settings in the programs you are using to send signals to your amp. I'm assuming Youtube, Radio Stations are from a browser and itunes is direct? Check the different sound settings in the individual programs first.

Check Windows Sound Control Panel settings and make sure the various things you are trying to play are all set to use the same output device. Try each program in turn.

There is a list default applications to be used for different file types in Windows - take a look at that and make sure there is nothing strange.

I can't think what else it would be, but report back after a play with the various settings.

The headphone/phono cable may work, but it should not really be necessary.

I didn't really understand what you meant with the blu-ray unit. They should all play CDs and output via HDMI. What exactly are you trying to do?

beaker_07

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
I checked all my settings and have downloaded the latest drivers and was still getting intermittent sound loss for seemily no reason.

Denon have relaeased a firmware update for my amp which I have downloaded today - so far no problems!

A friend suggested a possible problem with a couple of my hdmi cables that they might not be the latest spec - I bought them when i had a 1080 tv and now everything is 4k - I was thinking of replacing them with 2 amazon basic cables of the latest spec?

Regards the blu ray I was trying to connect it to the amp via an optical digital cable so that i could put a disc in it and it wouldn't automaticaly take control of the tv and switch it onto the on screen menu.

beaker_07

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
The optical cable idea still isn't working but I can live with that.

I posted a new problem on this forum regarding playing itunes - as I get one problem sorted another one comes along!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts