Computer based audio...........better??

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

John Duncan

al7478:
chebby:JohnDuncan:chainrock:iTunes on a Mac is great, iTunes on a PC is not. On a PC it uses Quicktime which is far from optimal. Agreed, but for different reasons - iTunes on a PC is a bit slow. Music goes at the same speed on both as far as I can tell. I think....? Maybe I should measure this.

Maybe.
emotion-17.gif
Twas even funnier the second time round, btw.

emotion-8.gif

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
chainrock:
[snip]...I have the three I mentioned setup in Foobar, so now I have to select one of the four options (ASIO, Kernel, Wasapi or standard) - I did so to compare which one gives me the better result.....[snip].

So, which do you think is best?

A

Anonymous

I use a xfi xtreme music soundcard to Chords Ichord cable to my Yamaha amp. Sound is very good, I considered an external DAC, but I did not think the price justified the marginal sound improvement. Thats what I use my CD player for.

Just my opinion, if people believe I am wrong let me know :)

A

Anonymous

So, which do you think is best?

Sorry didn't see your posts - this forum doesn't make it easy to keep track of all the threads where one has posted!

After trying them all, I ended up using ASIO the most as it sounded better - but i haven't made a final conclusion. I still need to test them more... my system has been down lately due to replacement of my speakers. None are perfect though - I find that after using Foobar w/ASIO my computer won't recognize CDs and I have to reboot.

A

Anonymous

I prefer to use Foobar2000 with WASAPI as ASIO seems to have an undesirable effect... using ASIO my FLAC files 'seem' to sound a bit sluggish and muddy, where as WASAPI 'seems' not to have any negative effects.

I am currently using my 780g HTPC using Vista x86 --> coaxial into my yamaha DSP-A2 av amp, I have set vista with preference for background services over programes and dedicated CPU1 of my two cores for Foobar and also given Foobar a high priority from task manager.

There are a few sites around that do have good discussions/tests regarding computer audiophile set-ups, as always though some of it is a bit extreem... such as using reclockers with your dac etc.

TRENDING THREADS