Complete New System for £1500 to £2000

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi Guys,

OK so I am looking at completely upgrading and overhauling my current system, currently consisting of, Yamaha A5 AV Amp, Phillips CD624 CD Player, Atacama 6 stands (I think) and Castle Richmond Speakers.

I am looking for a pure stereo Amp now as I do not use an AV setup.....my musical tastes are varied and covers everything except Classical and Opera. I am looking for a system that will allow me to sit for long periods of time without becoming harsh or tiring to listen to. Room size would be approximately 11' x 11'. I am likely to be adding an iPod dock as well.

Was thinking of maybe basing the system around a second hand Krell 300i amp.....

So help me out guys what would be good high up there on the demo lists.

Jay

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Some people do ponder before replying
emotion-1.gif

From what you are saying, I would suggest maybe a Cyrus 6SE CD player and 6VS2 amp, partnered with some Rega R3 speakers.

Or there's always the AVI ADM9.1s - bit chalk/cheese compared with the other above, but pair with a reasonable CD player and you have a very reasonable system well within budget.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Saying that, if you are happy 2nd hand, then I love my Naim pre/powers, which can be had for somewhere between £500-1000 depending on which ones you go for (and without wanting to sound like a broken record, tomtomaudio do these with a 12month warranty).

Maybe pair the Cyrus CD with the Naim Pre/power, and then the Regas.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
fatboyslimfast: ...

Or there's always the AVI ADM9.1s - bit chalk/cheese compared with the other above, but pair with a reasonable CD player and you have a very reasonable system well within budget.

No need. It has the latest wolfson DAC and pre-amp built-in.

Jason36:

Hi Guys,

OK so I am looking at completely upgrading and overhauling my current system, currently consisting of, Yamaha A5 AV Amp, Phillips CD624 CD Player, Atacama 6 stands (I think) and Castle Richmond Speakers.

I am looking for a pure stereo Amp now as I do not use an AV setup.....my musical tastes are varied and covers everything except Classical and Opera. I am looking for a system that will allow me to sit for long periods of time without becoming harsh or tiring to listen to. Room size would be approximately 11' x 11'. I am likely to be adding an iPod dock as well.

Was thinking of maybe basing the system around a second hand Krell 300i amp.....

So help me out guys what would be good high up there on the demo lists.

Jay

I would probably try the Roksan Kandy LIII combo. The amp has plenty muscle without sounding fatiguing - if it's allied with a smooth & detailed speaker, like Monitor Audio, B&W you should have a sound that'll fulfill your requirements.

As an alternative, Primare I21 should also do the trick. I know John Duncan is quite a hefty fan of Primare and its well-crafted knobs. . .although I haven't heard the Primare, I'm going with our learned friend's experiences of this brand
emotion-5.gif

John Duncan

plastic penguin:I'm going with our learned friend's experiences of this brand

If I see him, I'll ask.
emotion-5.gif

The i21 pair would be very good certainly, but if second hand is ok, I'd go for a 6/700 quid A30.1 off ebay instead of the i21. You could probably get a matching D30 for the same price, which leaves you about 5/600 quid for speakers.......

I'm afraid I can't speak for your krell option, other than by reputation.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I just read Andrew's review of the new Yamaha S1000 components in Gramophone. I think he likes them ...

To be honest, I have'nt heard a bad thing about them and lets face it, they are gorgeous. Might try and listen to them myself. They seem to be fatigue free and a lot more besides that. Just imagine if they bring a matching tuner out with fly wheel and a lovely back lit analogue dial, perhaps a small digital next to it!

But what speaker to partner them?

A

Anonymous

From what I have read about the Yams something slightly to the lean side of neural would be a good start. Perhaps Rega R3 or 5. I have also read that they're pretty easy to match, i.e. a lot will work well!

drummerman:

I just read Andrew's review of the new Yamaha S1000 components in Gramophone. I think he likes them ...

To be honest, I have'nt heard a bad thing about them and lets face it, they are gorgeous. Might try and listen to them myself. They seem to be fatigue free and a lot more besides that. Just imagine if they bring a matching tuner out with fly wheel and a lovely back lit analogue dial, perhaps a small digital next to it!

But what speaker to partner them?

I know Yamaha used to produce really good two-channel stuff, but for some reason they disappeared from stereo crowd. So as a result I'm not sure whether their new generation stacks well against the big hitters in a pure 2-channel sector.

As for speakers, I would guess a lively makes such as Mordaunt Short or Monitor Audio just might be good matches. . .

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:
I know Yamaha used to produce really good two-channel stuff, but for some reason they disappeared from stereo crowd. So as a result I'm not sure whether their new generation stacks well against the big hitters in a pure 2-channel sector.

Given the number of good reviews I have seen lately I would expect them to stack up very well against those "big hitters". (Yamaha are not exactly a 'garden shed' manufacturer and have plenty of experience in all parts of the musical recording/musical instrument/musical replay fields.)

plastic penguin:Just imagine if they bring a matching tuner out with fly wheel and a lovely back lit analogue dial..

Exactly my thoughts Mr Penguin...

chebby:Just waiting for them to resurrect the NS-1000M speakers and bring out a massive direct drive turntable. (A matching T-S1000/2000 tuner with backlit tuning scale and signal strength meter would be great!)

http://whathifi.com/forums/t/132810.aspx

I think it is essential that a decent tuner should have a backlit tuning dial and signal strength meter. It is programmed into almost everyone of a certain age. The glowing tuning scale on a radio that allowed one to listen in the dark (via headphones) to 'exotic' foreign stations when your parents thought you were asleep. LCDs/LEDs just aren't evocative enough.

T

the record spot

I hear the Unison Research gear is well worth auditioning and likewise the Meldoy range of valve amps of which there is one of each in your price range. You might get a good used amp (eg the valve Graaf at £3k) knocked down a notch or two. See Shadow Audio's site in Glenrothes, Central Audio in Brum and 2nd hand hi-fi - you need to listen so location might be a problem for you and hence check if they'll do sale on approval at your end.

A

Anonymous

On the Yamaha Question. I've recently resolved to flog my cdp, amp, phono, av and missions and create "the grand unified system." The keystone of which shall be the s1000.

I'll say this, apparently being one of the few on the forums to have heard it. Crikey, it makes Mezzos sound good. I had them team it up with Rainmakers the other day and was sold. If you need to buy blind I think Yamaha's 50lb monstrousity is a safe bet.

As for speaker pairings for it: It sounds like an amp that would really play well with Neat, Rega, Totem or Proac.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Oooh I have just seen that Sevenoaks are doing the Cyrus CD6S CD Player and 8VS2 Amplifier I with B&W CM7 Speakers for £1999.00.......now that's got to be worth a listen surely?

Just read the write up in WHF Mag on the Yam A-S1000 and the CD-s1000....got to give them a listen as well.....not sure on speaker selection though.

TRENDING THREADS