Compatible subwoofers for my possible hi-fi systems?

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
hello all,

i am 100% either getting the denon dm39dab micro system or the new ceol piccole system as my first hi-fi for my flat. i want some added bass as i think i would love it and wondering which subwoofer would be best for these systems. i see some subwoofers have an amp of 130w of something, does this mean it needs to have a 130w requirement on my system? im kinda confused and no next to nothing about hi-fi.

the way i see it, if a denon system has 130w (65 per speaker) i am guessing that this is the max wats allowed by the receiver or whatever it is called?

i may speak jibberish here but all i want to know is how i can work out which subwoofers would work well with my entry level system of the new ceol or the dm39dab my max budget is £250.

gramps23

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I'd suggest spending the money on upgrading the speakers that the Denon comes with, rather than on a sub.

I've got one of the Denon systems, and though the speakers they come withe are not bad (made by mission), they're pretty tiny and not up to the standard of many 'bookshelf' speakers, which will give you a better sound all round and a surprising amount of bass.

How big is your room btw?

Cheers.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
The power of the sub has little relation to your system, it simply takes a signal and amplifies it for purpose. Just make sure it is an active sub rather than passive, most are

Does your system have a single phono subwoofer or tape loop out? You can connect via this called the lo level or alterntivley if you don't have this via the speaker outputs via the hi level.

For good value and qulaity subs look no further than the range from BK. You may not have heard of them but don't let that put you off, they have made subs for companies such as REL in the past, are hand built in the UK and come in a choice of finishes.

The entry level sub they do is the Gemini under budget at £215 or if you can stretch to the XLS200 for £315 that is a little beauty. I have the 400 and for the money it is a superb bit of kit.

http://www.bkelec.com/hifi/sub_woofers.htm

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
gramps23 said:
I'd suggest spending the money on upgrading the speakers that the Denon comes with, rather than on a sub.

I've got one of the Denon systems, and though the speakers they come withe are not bad (made by mission), they're pretty tiny and not up to the standard of many 'bookshelf' speakers, which will give you a better sound all round and a surprising amount of bass.

Cheers.

dont know exactly as not living there yet, but i have seen it a couple of times before.

it is a medium room about the same size as my current living room (i can go and see how big roughly later on or link a picture if possible?

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
gramps23 said:

Cheers.

also if upgrading speakers is really better option instead of subwoofer, which would you recommend me for around the same budget as my subwoofer? i will consider both options

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
gramps23 said:

Cheers.

ok, looking at speakers i have a few i like the look of but not sure 100% if they will work well with the denon new ceol piccolo system. the speakers are:

wharfdale diamond 9.1 £100

wharfdale diamond 10.1 £128

wharfdale diamond 122 £230

the 122 looks quite nice, so does the 121 for around £190. i just want nice quality music with nice bass dont know which of these are best

gramps23

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
nugget2014 said:
ok, looking at speakers i have a few i like the look of but not sure 100% if they will work well with the denon new ceol piccolo system. the speakers are:

the 122 looks quite nice, so does the 121 for around £190. i just want nice quality music with nice bass dont know which of these are best

I know that the Wharfedale 10.1's will work well with the Denon, as I have them myself (albiet with an earlier version of the Denon), sound very pleasant indeed and have a surprisingly big sound with plenty of bass. I've not heard the newer Wharfedales, but they seem to be getting a good reception from those who have.

Other options would be the Dali Zensor 1, which sound great, but I'm not sure that the bass would be up to scratch (someone please correct me if I'm wrong!) if you want lots of low end. Or, you could go second hand, and grab a pair of something like the B&W 601 or 602 S2/S3's. They are great speakers with a lovely sound, available on ebay well inside your budget, and have very decent bass that will fill your room (the 602's especially, which go pretty loud in a good sized room).

Warm regards,

Gramps.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
gramps23 said:
nugget2014 said:

I know that the Wharfedale 10.1's will work well with the Denon, as I have them myself (albiet with an earlier version of the Denon), sound very pleasant indeed and have a surprisingly big sound with plenty of bass. I've not heard the newer Wharfedales, but they seem to be getting a good reception from those who have.

Other options would be the Dali Zensor 1, which sound great, but I'm not sure that the bass would be up to scratch (someone please correct me if I'm wrong!) if you want lots of low end. Or, you could go second hand, and grab a pair of something like the B&W 601 or 602 S2/S3's. They are great speakers with a lovely sound, available on ebay well inside your budget, and have very decent bass that will fill your room (the 602's especially, which go pretty loud in a good sized room).

Warm regards,

Gramps.

after listening to the new ceol and the sc-n8 speakers i like them very much! the bass is definetly there and i think it is enough for my liking (with bass turned up to +10) i think i'll save my money and maybe invent in a subwoofer for TV and music in 6 months or something. the wharfedale SW150 will be most likely my purchase.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts