Comparisons

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
While it's the best way of having group test reviews based on the same price point, it would be great occasionally to have group tests for a single manufacturers equipment to see what kind of performance you would get by upgrading. Example :- Ma's Bronze vs Silver vs Gold. When i upgrade there is always a (should i have waited and saved a bit more?) going on in my head. I know price usually dictates performance, but at the end of the day is it worth spending 3 times the price for just a little more?

A

Anonymous

That's true, but you have a lot of people who rely on media to demonstrate this either as a second opinion or have simply not got the advantage or time to dealer demonstrate.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
To bang a familiar drum, selling customers up a range is something a good retailer should be able to do - if the products are worth it, that is...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="ken71"]While it's the best way of having group test reviews based on the same price point, it would be great occasionally to have group tests for a single manufacturers equipment to see what kind of performance you would get by upgrading.
Example :- Ma's Bronze vs Silver vs Gold.
When i upgrade there is always a (should i have waited and saved a bit more?) going on in my head.
I know price usually dictates performance, but at the end of the day is it worth spending 3 times the price for just a little more?[/quote]

I would find this interesting too and would give added interest to the usual group test/first test.In fact WHF did this a while back and tested the Cyrus 5, 7 and 7+PSR Amps to what differences there were. Later they tested Arcams CD players... CD72, CD82, FMJ 132.... or whatever they were called. In fact the top arcam CD player was in fact DVD player if I remember correctly.... ?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Well-remembered. We dropped the features because research showed
they came across as advertorials, rather than editorial comment.
We
do, however, often compare products in the same range, and mention it
in copy, too - for example the Onkyo 515DAB system being a better-value
buy than its 715DAB sibling, or putting the two 50in Pioneer Kuros side
by side to determine that the pricier one in this case is worth the
premium.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
You are of course quite right about upgrading. We should all just buy 4 massive Krell monoblocs and a couple of pairs of KEF £70k speakers (can't remember the name but I gather they come with a free Rolls Royce) and have done with it.

Or better still, dispense with hifi altogether and just get Elton in to sing in the living room.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JoelSim"]Or better still, dispense with hifi altogether and just get Elton in to sing in the living room.[/quote]

Not quite so sure if I could accommodate the Berlin Phil or My Morning Jacket in my lounge. Elton would have to rough it (!) in the shed though.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JoelSim"]
Or better still, dispense with hifi altogether and just get Elton in to sing in the living room.[/quote]
That would be distracting when watching television.
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts