Compact floorstander suggestion please.

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

As some may remember I used to have a pair of Mission 752 Freedoms with a Sansui amp, but i sold these due to lack of space. I then dabbled in headphone listening and had a Caiman - AKG set up but that didn't do it for me, so I sold that. At the minute i have a Denon UD-M50 (or some-suchmodel number) with Denon speakers and this is ok for the time being.

In the next few months however I will be moving house and will have some more space for a bigger set-up (although not that big). I like the bass extension of floorstanders and prefer the cleaner aethsetics over standmounts on stands. They will have to be placed close (6" max) to the back wall, and the left hand one will be a similar distance from the side wall, and the space between is effectively the width of a 42" plasma. I'm happy to use an amplifier with tone and balance controls to compensate though.

So i'd like to get a compact floorstander, either new or second hand, up to about £1000 but ideally less, with suggestions for a suitable matching amp. Mission 752s would be ideal i suspect, but i would want a pair in mint condition and ideally light oak, which seems rare. I've also thought of the Neat Motive 2.

Looking forward to any suggestions - this will hopefully be one system (when all is said and done) that I'll be happy not to change for many years so I want to do it right.

And finally, it will be used for TV, movies, and music equally, but i have no interest in 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10.1 or .2 systems!

A

Anonymous

Neats are a good choice, as are Totem Arros. For either of them, the Naim Nait 5i would be a good choice.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The smaller floorstanders tend be the Neat Motive 2's, KEF XQ30's, Spendor A5's, and PMC GB1i's, which will all be over budget! But you should be able to find some of them used. For close wall proximity, I'd be looking at the XQ30's or the A5's, as the others will need some space.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:The smaller floorstanders tend be the Neat Motive 2's, KEF XQ30's, Spendor A5's, and PMC GB1i's, which will all be over budget! But you should be able to find some of them used. For close wall proximity, I'd be looking at the XQ30's or the A5's, as the others will need some space.Second hand is OK. Also, with the sales on, it's possible to find the Totems at reasonable prices. They're also good close to the wall.

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for replies so far...

For me this is an exercise likely to take most of this year, and will need to fit around the fact that my Fiancee and I are getting married in May, so there are other things to be paid for as a priority! I''m happy to take my time so that the end result is the best suited to fulfil what i expect my needs will be for the next few years. I'll be buying one item at a time i expect...

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
David, what amplification would you recommend to go with the Kefs and Spendors then?

I really like the look of the Kef XQ30 and would consider saving for them if they gave the sound I like..

Would Yamaha's newest range of amps be a good match for either as i like the look of them too.

Chokobolt

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
I can't help but to recommend the Dali Ikon 5 mk2's
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts