Comic book movies - yay or nay?

D

Deleted member 2457

I am a big Batman fan so probably a yay from me. I like Kick-Ass and Watchmen too.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
gel said:
I am a big Batman fan so probably a yay from me. I like Kick-Ass and Watchmen too.

I'm a huge Batman fan too gel but it's a more cautious yay from me. Agree with Watchmen and Kick-Ass too but for every good superhero movie there is a pure stinker...Daredevil with Ben Affleck, Elektra, the first Hulk movie (I could go on) all of which ruined a few careers that took many years to recover from.

The fact is that there are far too many of them either coming out soon or in the pipeline and the success of the recent (actually really good) Man Of Steel movie now means that Justice League Of America is just a mere formality now after yet another reboot of Batman of course and with more Avengers movies in the works and sequels to Thor, Captain America and Iron Man plus a new Hulk movie all coming our way it's all getting a bit tiresome.

I fear studios are pumping money into these movies at the expense of more original movies simply because they are seen as a way to print money. Don't get me wrong I love a superhero movie when they are done right but we are reaching saturation point when movies like Ant Man are now being made.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Oldboy said:
for every good superhero movie there is a pure stinker...the first Hulk movie

Shut yourself up blud! Apart from the ending Hulk is fantastic! It was a mistake to use the Absorbing Man as the villian because he's just a ludicrous character (there is, in theory, no limit to his power, which is something they realised later in the comics and had to kludge things to stop him destroying the world, which he should have been quite capable of doing), up to that point though I love it, it's the antithesis of everything that people complain about with superhero movies; they have no plot, no characterisation and just blast their way through, Hulk does completely the opposite and yet people complain about that as well! I was also quietly pleased to see in the Avengers Hulk leaping around like he did in Ang Lee's Hulk, so many people complained about that, saying that Hulk couldn't do that when he's been doing it in the comics for decades. They took that away in The Incredible Hulk (which was rubbish) and it ruined him, so I was quietly pleased to see that was back to a certain extent in Avengers.

plus a new Hulk movie coming our way.

Since when? Last I heard there were no plans for another Hulk film. I know the Gruffalo is signed up for a dozen films or something stupid but I've not seen any announcements. From what I understand they have no idea how to treat Hulk as a standalone character. The only things I could find online are vague comments which amount to no more than "we're thinking about it".

I fear studios are pumping money into these movies at the expense of more original movies simply because they are seen as a way to print money.

Of course they are, they've always done that, it's not always been comic book movies of course but sequels have always been favoured if the original did remotely well (or sometimes even when it didn't). The other point of course is that Marvel now have their own studio, so what else do you expect them to do? Further more Marvel's own films have been hugely better than the other studio's attempts (with the exception of Sony's Spider-Man films possibly), so now they've shown how they should be done the other studios are going to have another go at it (hence the ridiculous idea of rebooting The Fantastic Four again).

Don't get me wrong I love a superhero movie when they are done right but we are reaching saturation point when movies like Ant Man are now being made.

That was never planned apparently, Edgar Wright (Shaun of The Dead, Hot Fuzz, The World's End, Scott Pilgrim) was so keen to do it he produced a three minute visual sampler himself which went down so well with fans the studio decided they'd better give it a go. I think that one will be quite different to the rest of the Marvel output, so it might actually be worth keeping an eye on.

I really don't see why Guardians of the Galaxy is being made though, even I've never heard of them! AFAIK the title only existed for about two years in the early 90s, very odd choice.

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
It's a yes for me.

Only thing I'm not a fan of is when they try and throw comedy in there.

Did prefer the Eric Bana hulk over Ed Norton.

Prefer the new Spidey to the Toby Maguire versions.

Watched Dredd last week on cable and thought it was good (bit violent though)

Bane's voice was a bit annoying in the last batman, but a good trilogy all the same.

Just keep 'em serious...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
skippy said:
It's a yes for me.

Only thing I'm not a fan of is when they try and throw comedy in there.

Depends, some of them need it, Avengers was the better for the comedy Hulk moments.

Did prefer the Eric Bana hulk over Ed Norton.

Prefer the new Spidey to the Toby Maguire versions.

Yeah I was very pleasantly surprised by the new one, although I preferred the non-costumed bits with Parker and Gwen to the Spidey bits, not sure what that says about it.

Watched Dredd last week on cable and thought it was good (bit violent though)

It needs to be though, otherwise you end up with Stallone...

Just keep 'em serious...

Depends on the character, the Iron Man films wouldn't work without RDJ's humour.

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Lhc

You're right about ironman, but with Thor I wasn't impressed, kinda reminded me of...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xyYrQZ50hQk

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
It's a yes from me! :)

the_wolverine_2013_movie-wide.jpg

Paul.

I'm all for comic book movies for the most part. I'm hoping the new Wolverine movie will be good. Wolverine Origins was one of my favourite comics ever, and the movie was possibly one of the most dissapointing ever.

With the next Superman movie I hope they don't reboot Batman, they should just play it like they did with Hannibal Lecter in the TV series. There was no origin story, no explanation, just at the end of the first episode the writers just said "oh hey, and theres Hannibal Lecter. roll credits..." They could just drop new Batman in to the Superman movie, no explanation required.

They have dropped hints they will be taking cues from the Dark Knight Returns arc, if so the movie will be epic.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Oldboy said:

Shut yourself up blud! Apart from the ending Hulk is fantastic! It was a mistake to use the Absorbing Man as the villian because he's just a ludicrous character (there is, in theory, no limit to his power, which is something they realised later in the comics and had to kludge things to stop him destroying the world, which he should have been quite capable of doing), up to that point though I love it, it's the antithesis of everything that people complain about with superhero movies; they have no plot, no characterisation and just blast their way through, Hulk does completely the opposite and yet people complain about that as well! I was also quietly pleased to see in the Avengers Hulk leaping around like he did in Ang Lee's Hulk, so many people complained about that, saying that Hulk couldn't do that when he's been doing it in the comics for decades. They took that away in The Incredible Hulk (which was rubbish) and it ruined him, so I was quietly pleased to see that was back to a certain extent in Avengers.

Since when? Last I heard there were no plans for another Hulk film. I know the Gruffalo is signed up for a dozen films or something stupid but I've not seen any announcements. From what I understand they have no idea how to treat Hulk as a standalone character. The only things I could find online are vague comments which amount to no more than "we're thinking about it".

I fear studios are pumping money into these movies at the expense of more original movies simply because they are seen as a way to print money.

Of course they are, they've always done that, it's not always been comic book movies of course but sequels have always been favoured if the original did remotely well (or sometimes even when it didn't). The other point of course is that Marvel now have their own studio, so what else do you expect them to do? Further more Marvel's own films have been hugely better than the other studio's attempts (with the exception of Sony's Spider-Man films possibly), so now they've shown how they should be done the other studios are going to have another go at it (hence the ridiculous idea of rebooting The Fantastic Four again).

Don't get me wrong I love a superhero movie when they are done right but we are reaching saturation point when movies like Ant Man are now being made.

That was never planned apparently, Edgar Wright (Shaun of The Dead, Hot Fuzz, The World's End, Scott Pilgrim) was so keen to do it he produced a three minute visual sampler himself which went down so well with fans the studio decided they'd better give it a go. I think that one will be quite different to the rest of the Marvel output, so it might actually be worth keeping an eye on.

I really don't see why Guardians of the Galaxy is being made though, even I've never heard of them! AFAIK the title only existed for about two years in the early 90s, very odd choice.

Blud...really? Are you some sort of gangster wannabe or something lol? No offence intended btw.

I couldn't disagree more with you as The Incredible Hulk is far better than Hulk. The jumping and bounding in Hulk I found good as it does mirror the comic nicely and it was indeed a shame that was taken out of The Incredible Hulk but it's so poorly handled in so many other areas that it falls apart in my eyes and I did find Ang Lee a very strange directing choice from the start. My main criticisms with the movie is the choice of villain, Eric Bana as Bruce Banner who just seems to be not even trying and the lack of pace. The grand idea of characterisation in the film is to be commended but the execution is poor and simply not required in a movie of this type as lets face it any film in which the main character is blasted with gamma rays and turns into a big green hulking monster when he gets angry is hardly a film of deep characters and storyline. Perhaps my love of the comics has blinded me but in a two hour movie you can't explore any comic book character in the way comics have for years?

A new Hulk movie is on the Marvel film shedule but not for some time yet the last I heard and all rumours of a 2015 release seem way off the mark but what I do know is that mark Ruffalo has a six movie deal as The Hulk but two of those are the Avengers sequels with no details given as to the identity of the other four but it's entirely possible The Hulk could pop up in other Avenger characters sequels movies along with a Hulk movie of his own. Joss Whedon is keen to produce a Hulk movie but no plans are in place for him to do it but he has stated that Hulk is the hardest movie to make but after how he dealt with him in The Avengers I would dearly love to see him do a standalone movie but right now no concrete plans are in place for a Hulk movie but it's inevitable no?

OK I understand your point about sequels and agree but the difference with comic book movies is the sheer volume of them now scheduled for release or up and coming which is surely going beyond the amount of sequels seen in the 80's and 90's and now even the far less well known characters are being primed for their own movies, Dr Strange and Black Panther are hardly the biggest characters now to most people are they? Even Justice league for that matter is far less well known to anyone without a passing interest in comics than The Avengers. What I should say is that despite my fears of saturation that doesn't stop me feeling optimistic that Jutsice League, Dr Strange and Black Panther would be good movies as the geek inside me would love to see them but I'm torn...is there too many of them now? Will that then lead to dwindling interest and ticket sales and end up with alot of these movies never actually getting made? All are reasonable questions to ask.

As for Ant Man...yes I know Edgar Wright is behind it and I own all his movies to date on bluray and really enjoyed all of them (not seen World's End yet though) especially Scott Pilgrim and I never said I wasn't looking forward to it, my point was that when films are being made about such niche characters is that a sign of the alarm bells being rung in terms of just how many more movies can be sustained in the long term? I loved the look of the footage shown at comicon and it's undeniable that it will be funny tounge firmly in cheek stuff but my concern is that as they are all churned out at ever increasing rates from more and more studios that public demand will fall and quality and budgets plummet or even that many movies are cancelled. I want to see comic book films produced with the same care and attention as the recent Batman films and the Avengers and not just churned out by studios wanting to make a quick buck which is what I beleive is starting to happen.

There will always be good and bad movies in every genre but with the sheer number of movies coming I do fear that the comic book movies days are numbered and that's my real concern as a fan.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Oldboy said:
The_Lhc said:
Oldboy said:

Blud...really? Are you some sort of gangster wannabe or something lol? No offence intended btw.

That was the intended reaction, I needed a way of saying shut up that you would laugh at rather than get annoyed about.

I couldn't disagree more with you as The Incredible Hulk is far better than Hulk. The jumping and bounding in Hulk I found good as it does mirror the comic nicely and it was indeed a shame that was taken out of The Incredible Hulk but it's so poorly handled in so many other areas that it falls apart in my eyes and I did find Ang Lee a very strange directing choice from the start.

I guess that depends if you like him as a director, I love Crouching Tiger but I know a lot of people who find it too slow. Personally I was glad they gave it to him as it shows a willingness to take the material seriously. It was odd at the time but with the names attached to recent comic book movies (Branagh, Nolan etc) if they announced Lee now it wouldn't seem so odd.

My main criticisms with the movie is the choice of villain

Granted.

Eric Bana as Bruce Banner who just seems to be not even trying

But that's the whole point of the character, the flashbacks show that he's had to control his emotions from a very early age, so of course he's going to be an emotionless person, that's the point.

and the lack of pace.

But you need to slow it down in order to give more impact to the Hulk scenes. Otherwise it's just crash bang wallop and as many people who have reviewed Man of Steel have said that gets boring even if it's only the last half hour... I like the pacing, again it's Lee treating it as he would any other film, it's respecting the character and not saying this is just a comic book movie I don't need to bother with artistic considerations. It's the comic book Crouching Tiger for me, which is a good thing.

The grand idea of characterisation in film is to be commended but the execution is poor and simply not required in movie of this type as lets face it any film in which the main character is blasted with gamma rays and turns into a big green hulking monster when he gets angry is hardly a film of deep characters and storyline. Perhaps my love of the comics has blinded me but in a two hour movie you can't explore any comic book character in the way comics have for years?

Nonsense, read what they're discussing for the new movie, that it has to be more about Banner and LESS about Hulk, Banner is the character, not the Hulk (that's why they've ruled out a Planet Hulk film, as Banner doesn't appear at all), Banner is the deepest character in the Marvel universe. I was flicking through my Hulk's from about ten years ago, there are entire episodes that take place inside Banner's head, within his psyche, that's the important bit, without that it's just a mindless creature and Hulk was never that.

A new Hulk movie is on the Marvel film shedule but not for some time yet the last I heard and all rumours of a 2015 release seem way off the mark but what I do know is that mark Ruffalo has a six movie deal as The Hulk but two of those are the Avengers sequels with no details given as to the identity of the other four but it's entirely possible The Hulk could pop up in other Avenger characters sequels movies along with a Hulk movie of his own. Joss Whedon is keen to produce a Hulk movie but no plans are in place for him to do it but he has stated that Hulk is the hardest movie to make but after how he dealt with him in The Avengers I would ewarly love to see him do a standalone movie but right now no concrete plans are in place for a Hulk movie but it's inevitable no?

Not inevitable, if they can't come up with a good idea and decent script then Whedon certainly won't do it and I don't see Marvel allowing it either. The 6 movie deal is a standard contract as far as I can tell, it almost never means the actor actually does 6 movies. I can't really see Ruffalo doing bit part appearances, I think he wants to explore the character properly and he can't do that if he's just cameoing in other titles.

OK I understand your point about sequels and agree but the difference with comic book movies is the sheer volume of them now scheduled for release or up and coming which is surely going beyond the amount of sequels seen in the 80's and 90's and now even the far less well known characters are being primed for their own movies, Dr Strange and Black Panther are hardly the biggest characters now to most people are they?

No, they're not but I know them better than the Guardians of the Galaxy fregsample. Like I said Marvel's studio has to make films but they don't have the rights to the X-franchise or Spider-Man, so they have to come up with something. I don't think Marvel are expecting these lesser characters to be $billion hits but there is core audience that will watch them, like Thor had, without necessarily crossing over. As long as they're not losing money they'll be happy enough.

Even Justice league for that matter is far less well known to anyone without a passing interest in comics than The Avengers.

I'm not entirely convinced that the average non-comic book reader would know The Avengers particularly well either, in the UK at least, it may be different in the US (particularly as it's the Justice League of America). To be honest outside of Superman and Batman I'm not really a DC fan, I never took to their characters back in the 70s and 80s in the same way I did with Marvel, they just seemed too twee, Green this, Green that, Superboy, Supergirl. I don't particularly like Superman much really, other than the first two films, he's just far far too powerful, so you have to keep throwing in MacGuffinite to make him weak. There was a very amusing video I saw on the web the other week about what would actually happen if Superman punched you in the face (summary, a small thermonuclear explosion with a 1km blast radius where your head used to be) which sums up the problem quite neatly. This is why I really DON'T want to see the Superman/Batman film, how can they fight each other, nothing Batman can do will even make Superman flinch, unless he gets hold of krypt....zzzzzzzzzz...

What I should say is that despite my fears of saturation that doesn't stop me feeling optimistic that Jutsice League, Dr Strange and Black Panther would be good movies

I never read much Black Panther but if they get the social context right it could be a very good film. I'm not sure about Dr. Strange, all that mystical mumbo jumbo put me off him whenever he stumbled into someone else's titles, at least the rest of them are loosely based on science (even Thor now, which is good, I did like the references to Einstein-Rosen bridges as an explanation for the Rainbow bridge). Dr. Strange is a leap too far for me really.

as the geek inside me would love to see them but I'm torn...is there too many of them no? Will that then lead to dwindling interest and ticket sales and end up with alot of these movies never actually getting made? All are reasonable questions to ask.

It might do, if the quality drops, I think it sounds a lot when you list them all together but they'll be spread out over the next 5 years of so, so I don't think it'll be as congested as it seems. They haven't even started casting Ant Man yet, from what I understand.

As for Ant Man...yes I know Edgar Wright is behind it and I own all his movies to date on bluray and really enjoyed all of them (not seen World's End yet though) especially Scott pilgrim and I never said I wasn't looking forward to it, my point was that when films are being made about such niche characters is that a sign of the alarm bells being rung in terms of just how many more movies can be sustained in the long term? I loved the look of the footage shown at comicon and it's undeniable that it will be funny tounge firmly in cheek stuff but my concern is that as they are all churned out at ever increasing rates from more and more studios that public demand will fall and quality and budgets plummet or even that many movies are cancelled. I want to see comic book films produced with the same care and attention as the recent Batman films and the Avengers and not just churned out by studios want ing to make a quick buck which is what I beleive is starting to happen.

Most of these will be Marvel produced though and it's not in their interest to do things badly and they won't misunderstand the characters. If that happens it'll be the non-Marvel Marvel ones, that's already been seen with Spider-Man 3 and X-Men 3, which were poor, although First Class was enjoyable. Hopefully that lesson has been learned, outside of Marvel it's only Fox and Warners (I think) that have any of the rights (ignoring DC titles for the minute), they should have realised that they can't just bung any old trash out anymore because the public have been spoiled by the recent successes.

The new Wolverine movie is supposed to be an improvement on the last one for example, although I have to admit I quite enjoyed that, I didn't see what the big problem was with it.

There will always be good and bad movies in every genre but with the sheer number of movies coming I do fear that the comic book movies days are numbered and that's my real concern as a fan.

But there can only be a finite number made, there's only so many characters and it's unlikely that any of them are going to produce a Bond-type franchise run, so I guess it's a case of get in whilst the going's good. I mean after you've done 4 Iron-Mans, 3 Captain Americas, 3 Avengers, and all the other ones we've mentioned (and we haven't mentioned half of them!), what's left? Those are the marquee names, if they don't make them in the next few years they might never get the chance.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Paul. said:
I'm all for comic book movies for the most part. I'm hoping the new Wolverine movie will be good. Wolverine Origins was one of my favourite comics ever, and the movie was possibly one of the most dissapointing ever.

Interesting, I didn't think it was that bad. The new one's getting good write-ups, for the most part.

With the next Superman movie I hope they don't reboot Batman,

Nolan's exec-producing, I don't think there's any intention to do that.

They have dropped hints they will be taking cues from the Dark Knight Returns arc, if so the movie will be epic.

I hope so but for the reason I mentioned in my previous reply to Oldboy the whole concept is ridiculous to me, I've got a massive plate of MEH lined up for this at the moment.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Loved all of the recents, especially Nolan's, but not keen on Hulk 2, Iron Man 2 and latest Spidey.

Don't like the idea of the Snyder Batman v Superman project. I wonder what the plot will be like?

Dastardadly conglomerate fits-up Superman as a villain and persuades Batman to take out/capture the latter; they battle, Superman is defeated by Batman's Kryptonite-based weapon/device and becomes the dastardadly conglomerate's prisoner; then Bats discovers that Supes is actually innocent/a good egg, so he goes to his rescue; once freed, they join forces to defeat the dastardadly conglomerate; Bats and Supes then become best buds and bump into the Green Lantern: "Hey, wanna form a gang?" "Hell ya! But only if we can call our gang the Justice League and some of my mates can join, too!"

Rinse and repeat.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
All good points The_Lhc and nicely put :clap:

I did love Crouching Tiger and went to see it a few times it was that good but I wasn't convinced that style and pace of film making translated very well to The Hulk, I do take your points on board though and perhaps I will give it another chance and try to watch it with fresh eyes, you are right though about Ang Lee...I imagine if he was announced now as directing a Hulk movie people would be excited after the excellent job he done with Life Of Pi which saved his career in the U.S. I guess the character of Bruce Banner is a difficult one to portray but I did think Norton got close but that Ruffalo nailed it, in fact any Hulk or Avengers movie without him would just seem plain stupid to me now and do hope they give a standalone movie a go with him in it.

I must admit the last hour of Man Of Steel felt exhausting...so much is going on all the time that your senses just cry out for a break for a few minutes but never the less it was a very good reboot of Superman and far better than I expected it to be, I still like the Bryan Singer Superman Returns effort but I'm firmly in the minority there but I enjoyed it and thought it was nicely balanced.

Ok I completely understand why any Hulk movie needs to be more about Banner but that's dependant on both the actor playing him and the director and I didn't think that balance was acheived in The Hulk. Ruffalo and Whedon though...that's a different matter and by doing a movie in that vein with those two it may well work, as I said earlier it's a tough role and a difficult movie to make and one that needs careful consideration even more so than any other comic book movie to work. The characterisation needed in a Hulk movie needs to be such that it both holds your attention and makes you understand exactly what banner is struggling with every moment of his life and I felt The Hulk struggled on both accounts too often and made it hard to sympathise with Banners plight.

I still think a Hulk movie is inevitable as I'm sure with the success of the Avengers movie and how well Hulk worked in that Marvel would be thinking they have a better understanding of how to approach a standalone movie and give them the opportunity to right the wrongs of the first two attempts as it's obvious they have the right actor now and just need a decent story and director. Hopefully they convince Whedon to do it and get a story worthy of the two of them together, as you said earlier it's a case of strike whilst the iron is hot so I can't see it not happening at some point.

Guardians of the Galaxy is one that passed me by too and something I have no knowledge of so the fact that a movie is well on the way of that and that it reportedly crosses into the Avengers universe is a little confusing to me but I'm sure I will go and see it which perhaps sums up why some of the lesser known characters are getting movies because once you are invested in the Marvel universe you are pretty much going to see all the movies or at least a vast majority of people will.

I thought the Avengers is quite well known here in the UK as well as the US perhaps I'm wrong in that assumption? I can understand the DC characters though and Batman was the only one I ever connected with as he is just a man with no superpowers which seemed very different to me when compared to all the other comics and heros. Superman though...yep you are right about him as he is vastly over powered and the only two things you can do to hurt him is blow up the sun or have some Kryptonite on you or preferably both. That Superman Batman movie that is currently in the works does concern me as I'm with you on that one, just how is Batman going to even be able to get near him exactly? Perhaps it won't be a versus movie though and perhaps the start of the Justice League Of America??

Dr Strange is a very weird character and my fears for that one is another Green Lantern where it's just not handled very well but both him and Black Panther could make good movies if they are handled correctly, Dr Strange could make for a fascinating and fresh movie in the right hands.

If you look at the Marvel schedule on it's own I guess it's quite well spaced but when you start adding in Spiderman, X-Men and Wolverine, Superman, Justice League, Batman etc etc then the next 4-5 summers could start to look a little congested and a little too comic book heavy. I remain open minded but I do worry it's vearing into overkill at present and in the next few years if Warner Bros have their way we will be looking at the Avengers vs Justice League to see which is the biggest summer blockbuster and that's without all the individual movies for all the characters in both universes.

Just how I'm going to keep with all of these movies and buy the blurays is anyones guess and when you factor in sequels and prequels there could be a hell of a lot of comic book based movies out there in a few years time. I do trust Marvel with what they are doing as they have had incredible success in producing very good comic book movies that are made with care and attention and placed in the correct context but just how successful other studios will be in trying to replicate that success I'm not so sure about, I even worry about what direction Warner Bros will take with Batman now that Chris Nolan has finished his trilogy for example as those movies are up there as a perfect example of how to do a comic book movie along with the Avengers and their individual movies.

Boca

May 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm A Yay

Comic book to movies is a great thing.

The Biggest Problem was that the movie producers try to put their own spin on the movie, and create an entirely different movie from it. Then they try to say that they wanted to be a little more creative with it.

Really…. You have a whole legion of comic book readers who watched the TV shows… or read the comic books and you think it is going to cut it to make up a story not even close to the real story.

The Hulk (2003) After watching this ( I asked if they even watched a Hulk movie or read a comic book )

I couldn’t believe Stan Lee had his name on this. )

The Batman (Dark Knight Series was great ) it was done by someone who read comics in my opinion.

And a bigger budget.

The Watchmen I wasn’t a big fan of it. The comics.... but I watched the movie and was quite surprised how good it was. It opened my eyes to how badly the other comic book movies were and how good they could be.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Boca said:
The Hulk (2003) After watching this ( I asked if they even watched a Hulk movie or read a comic book ) I couldn’t believe Stan Lee had his name on this. )

Leaving aside your odd use of parentheses what was it you thought was different from the comics? Yes, they changed the origin but really a Gamma Bomb in this day and age doesn't work, we know what Gamma radiation is and we know a bomb like that would just vapourise Banner, it doesn't work. As I said in an earlier (excessively long) post, Hulk was more like the comic book version than any thing I've seen since, tossing tanks around, leaping for miles, that's all straight out of the comic books.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Oldboy said:
All good points The_Lhc and nicely put :clap:

I did love Crouching Tiger and went to see it a few times it was that good but I wasn't convinced that style and pace of film making translated very well to The Hulk,

You must have liked the wipes and comic book-esque multi-framing though? I thought that was brilliant (not original exactly but even so).

I do take your points on board though and perhaps I will give it another chance and try to watch it with fresh eyes, you are right though about Ang Lee...I imagine if he was announced now as directing a Hulk movie people would be excited after the excellent job he done with Life Of Pi which saved his career in the U.S. I guess the character of Bruce Banner is a difficult one to portray but I did think Norton got close but that Ruffalo nailed it, in fact any Hulk or Avengers movie without him would just seem plain stupid to me now and do hope they give a standalone movie a go with him in it.

I think Ruffalo is the closest to Bill Bixby's Banner, I know people laugh at the TV show, for good reason but Bixby was wonderful in it, the humanity in his portrayal is very touching I've always thought, I think Ruffalo could manage that, given half a chance. Don't get me wrong, if someone makes a great Hulk movie I will love it and hug it and call it George but it needs to be perfect this time (and as much as I love Ang Lee's Hulk it certainly isn't perfect, I do admit that. Incredible just didn't do it for me, I think partly because his face and hair was a little too rock star, I don't know).

I must admit the last hour of Man Of Steel felt exhausting...so much is going on all the time that your senses just cry out for a break for a few minutes but never the less it was a very good reboot of Superman and far better than I expected it to be, I still like the Bryan Singer Superman Returns effort but I'm firmly in the minority there but I enjoyed it and thought it was nicely balanced.

I certainly didn't hate Returns, I just didn't think it did a great deal. It was... fine, nice, almost. I just think a Superman film needs to be more than just "fine" though. Just seemed a little lacking in scale and ambition somehow, I can't put my finger on it.

Guardians of the Galaxy is one that passed me by too and something I have no knowledge of so the fact that a movie is well on the way of that and that it reportedly crosses into the Avengers universe is a little confusing to me

Well, all the Marvel Studio films are in the same universe now, so that's to be expected, must admit I'm not overly keen on where the overall direction is going, I never liked all that Skrull business and the inter-galactic side of things has always left me a little cold to be honest but I guess big movies need big scale.

but I'm sure I will go and see it which perhaps sums up why some of the lesser known characters are getting movies because once you are invested in the Marvel universe you are pretty much going to see all the movies or at least a vast majority of people will.

I don't think I'll bother with it (Guardians) unless it gets VERY good reviews, I mean one of the lead characters is a raccoon fercrisssakes!

That Superman Batman movie that is currently in the works does concern me as I'm with you on that one, just how is Batman going to even be able to get near him exactly? Perhaps it won't be a versus movie though and perhaps the start of the Justice League Of America??

From what I understand the provisional title (and reserved web address) has "Vs" in it, movies with Vs in them don't have a great track record (I'd love to see Robocop Vs Terminator though!).

Dr Strange is a very weird character and my fears for that one is another Green Lantern where it's just not handled very well

Yeah, that wasn't great but my nephews love it (9 and 6), so what do I know?

Just how I'm going to keep with all of these movies and buy the blurays is anyones guess and when you factor in sequels and prequels there could be a hell of a lot of comic book based movies out there in a few years time. I do trust Marvel with what they are doing as they have had incredible success in producing very good comic book movies that are made with care and attention and placed in the correct context but just how successful other studios will be in trying to replicate that success I'm not so sure about, I even worry about what direction Warner Bros will take with Batman now that Chris Nolan has finished his trilogy for example as those movies are up there as a perfect example of how to do a comic book movie along with the Avengers and their individual movies.

Yes, I know what you mean, although Nolan is still exec producing Batman/Superman, so should keep a firm hand on proceedings hopefully.

Paul.

I know green lantern was a bit poo, but the mask bit was genius!

i hope they give Ryan Reynolds another go though, he can be very good when the script allows it. He was ace in The Nines.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I loved Frank Miller's Sin City, and so I'm anxiously waiting for the sequel, 'A Dame to Kill For', which is due next year.

The superhero movies leave me a bit cold, I must say. I sometimes watch one when on telly, but often feel I wasted my time...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Paul. said:
i hope they give Ryan Reynolds another go though, he can be very good when the script allows it. He was ace in The Nines.

That could get confusing, apparently they're actively discussing a Deadpool movie, although it won't be linked to the Wolverine Deadpool. If that's like the comic books and they let him swear properly that could be good, I can't see it happening that way though...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
DocG said:
I loved Frank Miller's Sin City, and so I'm anxiously waiting for the sequel, 'A Dame to Kill For', which is due next year.

I'm not, Sin City was ok but the shooting style was its whole USP, they only thing that made it stand out. If they just repeat that again it won't have the same impact, it's just repeating it for the sake of it. This is Hollywood though...

Andy Grange

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
Just a thought, but are these types of movies a knock-on effect of the writers strike and lack of new material coming through? If you look at the comics and characters that have been around for a number of years, they have huge back stories which film makers can effectively pick and choose pieces from with which to make movies. There is obviously still screenplays / script writing to be done, but the core story and background are effectively there for the taking.

I love these type of movies by the way

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Yes!

I love em all, even the bad ones. (Tank girl was one of the worst).

Loved Spawn!

Loved both Hulk films, Transformers films

Loved Daredevil, Green lantern, X-men (all of them). Sin City, Watchmen, Spiderman (all), Superman (all of them).

And probably any I missed :)

Batman is my least favourite strangely, not got round to watching the last one.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts