Coaxial or HDMI for sound

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm not having much luck on the Home Cinema forum so does anyone here have any opinion on whether sound via coaxial is better quality or not than sound through an HDMI cable? I have a Sony STRDA 5200ES which has facility for both (but haven't worked out how yet, and I have a spare Ixos Zen coax kicking around somewhere, if I could only find it...). My speakers are front Kef Q1 and Kef 3005 centre and rears. Cheers

A

Anonymous

Simple answer, find the coax and compare it against the HDMI cable you've got. If you think it sounds better then you've answered your question.

A

Anonymous

Duh...yeah I know but then I have to enter the loft for the coax and there all sorts of stuff up there and I might never come back out...

A

Anonymous

If you have, or are likely to get SkyHD you will find the box does not do DD 5.1 through HDMI.

It also does not have Digital Coaxial out so you would need to use Optical for your 5.1

Sorry if I am preaching to the converted
emotion-42.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply Kev. Yes I have Sky HD via optical. But was just musing whether or not the coax would be better than HDMI for 5.1 when watching DVDs. Anyway I watched Blade Runner (again) last night and the HDMI sound output was pretty darned good I thought, so I won't bother testing if the coax is better. Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts