Cno Evil - Linn Silver interconnect question

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Ambrose said:
Ok, cable finally arrived Saturday and I have been pc gaming most the weekend. Tired and with a brief slot to test interconnect I did not start with old cable, just plugged in new one, which is a very tight fit I might add.

Also, new neighbours just brought new baby home so listening levels very low.

So my first impression which often stays true after longer weeks of listening are very promising.

I totally agree Cno that there is a rightness about the sound coming through my speakers, it sounds more tangible now too with a cohesiveness not there before. Detailing is good, bear in mind i am just getting used to new super dread stands so lots of change at once to take in. It doesn't sound harsh, far from it, has a element of smoothness but nice and clear.

Best of all I am enjoying music. A really important thing to me is does my foot tap and the timing / dynamics are definately there.

Alot gleend from such a short time!

Thanks Cno as I think I may have found just what I was after, a cable that has boogie, is balanced, detailed and involving.

Ambrose

Phew! :grin:

One question, do you know why there are no reviews of the Linn Silvers anywhere?

Is it a Linn thing?

Anyhow.....
Cheers and good night!:cheers:

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Have been hunting some Linn silvers and finally got some at a very good price and have put them between Caspian cd and amp.

I was using Linn Black and a Chord Cobra ( I think) xlr.

I initially found a smoother presentation and a slightly more cohesive sound however I was listening at quite low levels .

When I returned to listening a few hours later and turned the volume up I noticed the slight improvements were more significant and there is an improvement over the the whole range.

Today I switched on forgetting the new cables and I was taken aback with the improvements in the fact that I actually thought my system was sounding more focussed and had a greater depth front to back and still a smoother richer sound.

I am now digging out many things to play and hoping for a few delights as I have the day off.

For the £80 I shelled out I am more than happy with the improvements which although slight it is a good upgrade for the money.

I am not a believer in cables but I have been using Linn Blacks for some time usually bought for £20 -25 , there is an improvement with the Linn Silver which is both annoying and pleasing.

Just thought would update this thread in case anyone else was thinking of having a look at these cables.

Thanks

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Shanka said:
Hi, Have been hunting some Linn silvers and finally got some at a very good price and have put them between Caspian cd and amp. I was using Linn Black and a Chord Cobra ( I think) xlr. I initially found a smoother presentation and a slightly more cohesive sound however I was listening at quite low levels . When I returned to listening a few hours later and turned the volume up I noticed the slight improvements were more significant and there is an improvement over the the whole range. Today I switched on forgetting the new cables and I was taken aback with the improvements in the fact that I actually thought my system was sounding more focussed and had a greater depth front to back and still a smoother richer sound. I am now digging out many things to play and hoping for a few delights as I have the day off. For the £80 I shelled out I am more than happy with the improvements which although slight it is a good upgrade for the money. I am not a believer in cables but I have been using Linn Blacks for some time usually bought for £20 -25 , there is an improvement with the Linn Silver which is both annoying and pleasing. Just thought would update this thread in case anyone else was thinking of having a look at these cables. Thanks

Thank you for posting your observations......though it does mean that you are mad! :twisted:

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I think the madness will start next week when I listen to a Hugo DAC, 2 and a half years and still looking /listening for a dac and still not listened to a Sneaky either, my apologies !!

Shanka said:
I think the madness will start next week when I listen to a Hugo DAC, 2 and a half years and still looking /listening for a dac and still not listened to a Sneaky either, my apologies !!
If you don't lke the Hugo then there is probably no point in looking further. Or so I have gathered from a trusted source (as well as WHF, of course). Now that all the Naim fans on their forum have heard with their own ears, you can probably be fairly sure it is the business.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Shanka said:

I will be fascinated to know if it lives up to the considerable hype...so be sure to post your opinion.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I have been reading the Naim forums and the Hugo seems to be causing a bit of a stir to say the least, as a physical component I don't like it but if it really is that good I am sure I can live with it.

I don't know if it is a coincidence but I am noticing a lot of Naim dac's on ebay recently, I have heard the V1 and while it was good I could not justify the price as it was not exceptional.

I will post my thoughts once I have heard it , have seen no threads on here regarding the Hugo so far.

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Interesting... I have tried the HUGO DAC and Chordette recently :)

I found the Chordette slightly more revealing than DAC v1. In my setup I found the v1 bass heavy at dealers.

Chordette timed well and increased insight over bare CD5XS. IE used CD5XS as transport.

I borrowed the HUGO at home and on the CD5XS was a really significant improvement. I got foot tapping but lost a bit involvement somehow. I returned the HUGO but can see why it is so popular. Amazing piece of kit and I guess an even better transport would show much more improvement still as some Naimees are replacing high end kit with HUGO dac.

Matter of taste as with all hifi. I am stilling enjoying nait 5i-2 and motive 3 (later motive sx not as good IMHO + dealer commented same) + CD5XS bare more than other more expensive combinations.

Ambrose

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I had a demo of the Hugo today and it is quite different from the many other dac's I have heard, just about to compose my wafflings in a new thread !!!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Ambrose said:
..... I got foot tapping but lost a bit involvement somehow.

I haven't heard the Hugo, but that has been my problem with any Chord item I've heard ie. plenty of detail and "snap", but too analytical. I thought the Hugo maybe different, from the descriptions of it.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Shanka said:
Hi,

Have been hunting some Linn silvers and finally got some at a very good price and have put them between Caspian cd and amp.

I was using Linn Black and a Chord Cobra ( I think) xlr.

I initially found a smoother presentation and a slightly more cohesive sound however I was listening at quite low levels .

When I returned to listening a few hours later and turned the volume up I noticed the slight improvements were more significant and there is an improvement over the the whole range.

Today I switched on forgetting the new cables and I was taken aback with the improvements in the fact that I actually thought my system was sounding more focussed and had a greater depth front to back and still a smoother richer sound.

I am now digging out many things to play and hoping for a few delights as I have the day off.

For the £80 I shelled out I am more than happy with the improvements which although slight it is a good upgrade for the money.

I am not a believer in cables but I have been using Linn Blacks for some time usually bought for £20 -25 , there is an improvement with the Linn Silver which is both annoying and pleasing.

Just thought would update this thread in case anyone else was thinking of having a look at these cables.

Thanks

It's good to hear about some other cables aside from Chord Company. I've only really heard Chord Company and TCI. Was the Cobra (green cable) an VEE plug or the old metal termination?

For anyone reading all your music will sound better at louder volumes in the sense you will hear more of the intricousies because you are making them louder. Where a good IC comes into play is if they take some or most of the harshness away making it more comfortable to listen at louder levels.

It may sound like an IC is dulling the music at lower volumes but in my experience with my cables it's more the colouration the system/poor cables introduce to the music being screened/filtered out alowing the music to sound more pure to the source thus allowing us to turn it up and enjoy it at more of a volume it should be at.

To the OP. The Cobra VEE 3 plug IC will be quite a bit better than the Chrimson. If you could manage a Chameleon VEE 3 plug IC would give you an even greater clarity. Idealy if you need 2 IC's for your system they should be the same. The reason being if one cable is not quite as good as the other you will restrict the signal or add back in some of what the other one is screening/filtering out. I know the Chameleon is more expensive but I got mine at the Bristol Sound & Vision show for half price due them being old stock. Though they have the old metal terminations on I can send them to Chord for retermination to the VEE 3 plugs and they will still be a lot cheaper than getting them new. The cable construction hasn't changed only the termination.

TRENDING THREADS