Closed Back Headphones with iPhone Capability

daveyyoung

Nov 25, 2004
Visit site
Hi All,

Want your advice to make sure I haven't missed out on a product which will tick all my boxes...

The Issue:
I currently fly down south mon-fri for work and to block out the world noise I do most of this listening to music (except during take-off and landing of course!:angry:). I don't mind so much as it gives me a great time to catch up with my latest tunes. Anyways I was doing this with a pair of Klipsch S5i's but having lost them on a recent snowboarding holiday I was forced to rethink my headphone selection. I decided to go with a pair of SoundMagic E10's for the gym and I now want a good set of over-ear cans to travel with.

The Remit:
I will be using them in the office and travelling so I really can only consider closed-back design. I don't think fellow travellers/colleagues would appreciate my music as much as I do :)
I use my iPhone 4S for my source so I would like the headphones to be call compatible

The Contenders:
Bose QC 15's - 5* (WH), I can't say I've ever been a big fan of the Bose 'sound' but plan on getting a demo
Focal Spirit One's - 4* (WH), I've seen both really good and really bad things written about these headphones which has got me worried
AKG K550's - 5* (WH), look really good but don't have the iPhone functionality
Beats Studio's - 4* (WH), I don't really like the whole 'footballer Beats look' and the build quality is woeful
Klipsch Mode M40's - No WH review but reviews elsewhere didn't give the sound a particularly good write up!

I am in a lucky position to have around £350 to spend, but I really do want something that ticks all my boxes for that price! Have I missed any other products out there!? If anyone has had any experiences with the above list if you could let me know your opinion that would be great!

Cheers,

Dave

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The Bose's are brilliant for travelling, in my experience. I'd also check out the B&W P5s, which, though not active noise-cancellers, have a snug fit that blocks out a lot. They work really well with an iPhone, too.

An off-the-wall suggestion is also the Sennheiser PXC310BT - noise cancelling and wireless....

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
They will, but they do not have an on-cable mic or controls for hands-free iPhone use: the others mentioned have cable options (either in the box or available as extras) allowing that. As, indeed, do other AKG models.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
For sheer aircraft noise canselling I'd say it has to be the Bose QC15, especially since you say that you like their sound in general and it has the phone connectivity options.

daveyyoung

Nov 25, 2004
Visit site
Hi All,

Cheers Clare, the B&W P5's are gorgeous (better looking that the Bose IMO), the only thing I was worried about there was the fact they sit on the ear rather than over! Do you think the Sennheiser Bluetooth offerings can match up in audio quality!?

Quadpatch, I was meaning I wasn't a big fan of Bose sound - I think tho I might try and find a shop which has both models n give them a go...seems to be a real difference on opinion depending on what tunes you listen to and what balance you like.

Cheers,

D

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
daveyyoung said:
Cheers Clare, the B&W P5's are gorgeous (better looking that the Bose IMO), the only thing I was worried about there was the fact they sit on the ear rather than over!

Depends on the size of your ears, I guess! Definitely give them a try. Classy travel case, too... :)

daveyyoung said:
Do you think the Sennheiser Bluetooth offerings can match up in audio quality!?

Again, they're small, with impeccable travel credentials. You lose a little quality over wireless, but obviously gain a lot of convenience. Worth considering, but with your budget i'd think the Boses or B&Ws will win out.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I used to own the P5s and would have no concerns about them being on ear. They let very little sound in or out. They are also probably the classiest looking headphones out of all those mentioned, and the iphone buttons on the cord worked well. With extended listening, I found them wearing, with a bright treble and a slightly distorted bass. This took me some time to realise, and I prefer a neutral / accurate sound, so they could easily work for you.

I would definitely be trying to listen to the Focals personally, but I've not heard them so can't pass any comments.

A

Anonymous

Why not try AKG K450s with the mic kit? Save some cash....
smiley-smile.gif

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Graham_Thomas said:
Why not try AKG K450s with the mic kit? Save some cash....
smiley-smile.gif

...because they are very poor noise-cancellers and background noise spoils their sound? in-ears or noise cancellers needed here methinks

A

Anonymous

You might be surprised. I think they do 'lock in' the sound somewhat with the small cups.
smiley-smile.gif

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah but considering that he needs isolation specifically and will be travelling on a plane a lot no open back headphone will cut it and as good as I'm sure the K450 is it's not the only interesting thing out there for a budget of £300.

As for not liking Bose sound in general I too am from the school but was pleasantly surprised by the QC15. They are not the best sounding headphone for the money by far but they are the best active noise cancelling headphone hands down so if noise bugs the hell out of you then it should be a no brainer. They are easily tested though, last time I went in to a John Lewis they had a setup there that simulates aircraft noise through a speaker so you can see the effect of the cancelling. It annoys the s*** out of everyone but it's a good test. I think you might even be able to plug your own DAP for testing too.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I found that the worst property of the QC15 is excessive bass. Most music players will have a bass reducer feature if that bothers them, bass becomes too overpowering or muddy. For me, once the bass is trimmed some, the QC15 has at least rudimentary high fidelity. Too bad Bose can't put the OE2i's bass into the QC15 - it's ultra deep, powerful, yet neutral.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts