Closed Back Headphone Recommendation

stanleyk

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

I currently have some Beyerdynamic DT231 Galactic, and have enjoyed them very much, apart from the odd looks I get wearing blue headphones that have the dual head bar look (Cyberman?), however, they have unfortunately began to wear out a bit, elastic going in head band, no cushioning left on the ears, so comfort has dropped.

I am therefore on the lookout for some new closed back headphones. I have Grado SR80 for home use, but open plan office and noisy (traffic) walk to work means I could do with some that cut the noise out a bit, price up to around £50 ideally.

Thanks for any tips

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Here`s three pairs of Sennheiser closed back headphones which you can find for under £50. HD212Pro, HD228`s and HD215`s. Not sure what sort of music you listen to but the 212 Pro`s are probably best for Bass. I actually recently auditioned the 215`s and they were pretty good but I found some which were better (different price range though) and I wasn`t that keen on the way they look which is a little on the large side.

idc

At about £35 off Amazon the Sennheiser px200s are excellent. If you go just over budget the FiiO E5 amplifier would add greater dynamics and bass to the Senns.

stanleyk

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
IDC,

Thanks for the tip, am very tempted, and am interested in the mini amp, is it portable enough for day to day travel (walking etc?). Also is it worth extending the budget to the px200 ii? What/how different are they?

Thanks

stanleyk

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Excellent write up, definitely looking at the fiio, while checking out the px200 on Amazon I saw the HD228, and bigger brother hd238, I really like the syling on these, any idea on the sound? The 238 looks to be open back, so no good I guess, how are the 228?

Thanks

idc

You are right that the 238 are open and leak sound whereas the 228s are closed back. I have only heard the 238s and the sound was very close to the PX200s. They are bigger and I am sure would be more comfortable on extended listening. They are a good price on Amazon and get very good customer reviews. Surprisingly they are also easier to drive than the PX200s, so the E5 amp may have less of an impact on the sound. But with bass boost on I would imagine they will still benefit from the extra dynamic.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts