Clearaudio Concept vs Rega RP6 vs VPI Scout

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
You maybe better putting this post on the Turntable section, as some users on there may not see it here.

Is the VPI Scout not a lot more expensive than the other 2?

Tzutzu

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I'll post it there, thanks for advice BigH.

As a matter of fact I can buy the VPI new, with Benz Micro Ace L cartridge on it for 1000 pounds.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Tzutu,

How are you getting on with the A19, it's a lovely amp for the money, and I believe it also has a pretty good phono stage built in.

Tzutzu

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,

Sorry I couldn't reply earlier. I went hunting a VPI / Benz Micro Ace L.

The amp is something you can rely on. The sound is musical, warm and powerful. As a matter of fact, the quality of sound improved over the time. It is clearly more dynamic than in the first days. It's true that the Focals 714 are a good match for A19.

Tzutzu said:
Hi there,

Sorry I couldn't reply earlier. I went hunting a VPI / Benz Micro Ace L.

The amp is something you can rely on. The sound is musical, warm and powerful. As a matter of fact, the quality of sound improved over the time. It is clearly more dynamic than in the first days. It's true that the Focals 714 are a good match for A19.

Is this a fair comparison? The RP6 retails around £1000, the ClearAudio £1200, while the VPI is about £1700. That's like comparing the first two with a Gyrodec. Or have I got this totally kookie-eyed?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I agree PP, The RP6 is £749 without cart and for the money get you superb results but its not wothout limitation and I would be the first to admit this. I stepped up from an RP3 (albeit a good deck) to an RP6 and in hindsight probably should of stuck with my RP3 and saved my money for a better deck than the RP6. I am still undecided wether to upgrade my deck seeing as I have just commited to a used pair of Arros....... yes PP I took the plunge

stevebrock said:
I agree PP, The RP6 is £749 without cart and for the money get you superb results but its not wothout limitation and I would be the first to admit this. I stepped up from an RP3 (albeit a good deck) to an RP6 and in hindsight probably should of stuck with my RP3 and saved my money for a better deck than the RP6. I am still undecided wether to upgrade my deck seeing as I have just commited to a used pair of Arros....... yes PP I took the plunge

Good man! Fabulous speakers.

I'm sure every component has its achilles heel in one form or another, although personally because I listen to so many different formats (radio, CD, vinyl etc) spending huge amounts on one component seems a betrayal to the other sources.

stevebrock said:

When I saw the RP6 the dealer offered it to me for £750, and he'd fit the ClearAudio cart on without additional costs. It was a display model so hadn't been used in anger. Probably would've taken up his offer but it was in RED. Eek! if it was black I would've grabbed it and not bought the Naim CDP. As you say hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Apart from the wobbly platter what other issues do you have with the RP6?

(BTW, want a proper review on the Totems. :) )

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
No issues on my newer RP6

Totems - sound gorgeous, bass snaps with precision, just sound a little fuller in the bass than the RS3, they just sound more 'musical' Think the Elicit really does go well with them and has no trouble controlling them at moderate volume. They look stunning too and the tweeter is near as close to ear level, something the RS3 lacked with the lower tweeter.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts