Clearaudio Concept RRP.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Thanks. Was just wondering whether there was any price drop given it was a 2010 model. Planning to get one and so far the few shops here in Malaysia is maintainng at 1050 GBP.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We quote prices as reviewed - if a price changes substantially, we can/do change the review/rating accordingly.

But yes, lots of smaller price rises going on at moment - that's inflation for you (and astonishing rises in costs of some components/raw materials...)

A

Anonymous

Sorry for the hijack but I'm thinking about upgrading to one of these and I've read nothing but good reviews from a variety of sources. A dealer however was not particularly positive and that has been the only occasion I've heard anything negative about this TT - have any forum members got one and what do they think of it, did they upgrade to it or was it thier first foray into vinyl.

Trap6 said:
Sorry for the hijack but I'm thinking about upgrading to one of these and I've read nothing but good reviews from a variety of sources. A dealer however was not particularly positive and that has been the only occasion I've heard anything negative about this TT - have any forum members got one and what do they think of it, did they upgrade to it or was it thier first foray into vinyl.

I found a rather cool response from a couple of dealers too, including one that the importer specifically suggested. (Also, much the same with Pro-Ject, although they seem to be stocked everywhere, but no-one actually raved about them)

I was looking for something to resurrect my LP collection while dithering over what to do with my old Linn, so didn't want to spend a fortune. Then I got drawn by the Michell Gyro SE, but realised that moving it might be a bit tricky, as SWMBO was suggesting listening room needed to move to the top floor. Therefore chose the suspensionless TechnoDec instead, and got one that had been on display so saved a few quid too. Must say I'm delighted with it. I see it as an alternative to the Rega P3 with a rather nicer finish, and still scope to tweak if required.

Still didn't get to hear a Clearaudio Concept...

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
I just got mine today. Already spinning Metallica, Guns and Roses and a few oldies. Will write a review soon.

6162407457_6b6c841da1_z.jpg

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Write up inspiration: Black Dog Bone -a local Malaysian band - original pressing from 1978 EMI.

It has been 10 days since I bought the TT but this is only the 4th time I get to listen to it due to my work and family commitments. But nevertheless, the experience I am having now while writing this up is out of this world.

So on Monday 19th Sep, I called the retailer late morning to inform him that if the unit is ready earlier than 8 pm, just give me a call as I was ready to leave work early that day.

At 8 pm - the retailer arrived at my house.

2 boxes came out of his trunk - one with the TT and one with the acryllic dust cover.

Another 2 thumbs up to the retailer for calling me before hand to suggest the Elixir cartridge cleaner. So, there you go. I went out to get the full basic requiement for TT.

Inventory check:

1. 1 x ClearAudio Concept TT = comes with the Allan key to replace the cartridge, 'level' gauge and various plugs
2. 1 x ClearAudio Dust Cover
3. 1 x Elixir cartridge cleaner
4. 1 x ClearAudio MC cartridge - yes I swapped the MM with an MC
5. 1 x ClearAudio Clamp (I opted for the heavier Quadro clamp massive SS)
6. 1 x LP brush
7. 1 x anti static gun

NOTE: Please excuse some of the terms I use if its not the norm for TT lovers.

OUt came the TT, belt, sub platter (???) and main platter (???). I can see that the retailer knows exactly what he is doing. Setting up the TT, he also explained to me the parts although as you can see, I could not really pay attention as I was eager to listen to the LPs I have bought earlier.

Next came out the plug which I opted for the 3 pin plug. But before pluggin it into my PF50 Pure AV, the RCA was first connected to my NAD PP-3 phone pre amp. Yes, this unit somehow does not match the rest of my set up, hence it is actually now hiding behind one of the kit :).

Then the power kicked in and the retailer switched on the TT to 33 RPM. But then, he further built my anticipation by explaining on how to take care of LPs ...aaaarrrghhhh hehehehe. But thanks for the information.From how to take out the LPs for its sleeve and how to store them. I thought handling CD was delicate. Boy I was wrong.

Then came in the anti static gun. My 1.5 years old daughter was with us throughout the set up. She looked at the gun and wanted to play with it.

First went onto the TT was the brand new Metallica Ride The Lightning album on 45 RPM. Just applied the cleaning brush briefly as this is a brand new LP. So, how did it sound????

Lets recap some info of the TT first:

Built

This unit is actually quite heavy for a 'beginner's TT compared to Rega and ProJect. I particularly like the spike/stud underneath the unit. It made it really stable.
The tone arm however is very light to my shaky hands. I basically did not dare to take off the cartridge protector, let alone sliding the tone arm and dropping it onto the LP. I let the retailer do it for me.
My hands were too shaky.

Power Supply

I was actually expecting a sturdier built for this price of TT but nevertheless, it also did not look like an RM10 adaptor. I just hope it will last long.

RCA

The RCA interconnect is built in together with the tone arm, so no way to change interconnects unless you change the tone arm.

Now back to sound....

My set up for the first experience is basicallY:

1. TT to NAD PP3 phone stage using the built in RCA
2. NAD PP3 to Musical Fidelity M6i amp using Cambridge Audio interconnects
3. M6i to ProAc D18 sepakers using QED Silver XT Signature cable

First song to kick in was Fade To Black. The first thing I notice is that I have to crank up the volume knob to at least 10 o'clock to get a decent sound.
The retailer mentioned that this is normal for TT. I grant that anything analogue seems to have a lower volume output. Same like my cassette deck.

But then, the guitar plucking at the beginning of the song did not give me that sensational feeling I was looking for. I had to put on the CD version of the track just to reconfirm this feeling.
True enough, at that point, I felt that CD gave me more sensational feeling. Getting a bit worried here.

So what went wrong? Where is that beautiful sweetness LP sound that I heard in the shop??

And then.....the retailer put on the first lighter clamp (notice that above, I did not use any clamp). The first one is lighter (cant recall the model). But I can immediately hear the difference in the sound.

I guess the clamp does provide better levelness onto the LP spinning. Repeated Fade to Black and this time the TT carried a heavier sound signature with the guitar plucks seems to be alive.

Sat through the whole song wit a smile on my face. And yes, you guess right. I then requested for the heavier Quadro clamp to be put on.

And things just got better. I basically forgot that the CD version is still playing on Repeat 1.

With the Quadro, the whole song sounded more open, without loosing the grip on low ends and there was no sign of harshness on the high ends.

Ok, that is so called the audiophile grade of LP.

Lets go to the basic of 33 RPM LP.

Off with the Metallica and came in Guns N Roses Spaghetti Incident. Its a Venezuelan pressing...rare indeed.

I cant stop smiling listening to the growling guitar of Slash on Since I Dont Have You before the drums kicked in. The sound of every tom and snare of the drums are echoed precisely to my ears liking.

Now, my ProAc can really sing with this TT. For this, I didnt bother to compare to the CD version as I know that the CD version will loose the battle.

Hmmmm... all good for the new LPs. How about the old one?

I bought the Black Dog Bone LP in a flea market for GBP 8.00. Physically there was only one slight deep scratch, luckily only on the last track. I was actually worried that it can damage the cartridge but the retailer said that it should be ok.

This is when I was hit with the biggest confusion in my 15 over years hifi venture. This LP sounded so much alive compared to the new LPs I bought.

Literally, it gave me this feelings of being in the 70s and all I wanted was to put on a bell bottom jeans
icon_smile.gif
. Sound exagerating right? But thats how I felt.

The raw but genuine guitar chords was simply amazing. And the sound of the drums which I think was set up hollow in the recording, gave me this feeling that the band really enjoyed making the album.

It was completely set up by 9 pm.

I only continued playing the TT at midnight after the kids are asleep. till 3 am hahahaha. And I was late for work the next day.

But then, the TT went on sleep mode from Tuesday night till tonight Monday night.

Back on Black Dog Bone and thats when I decided to write this review.

But, its a different experience tonight.

What is the different????

I rested the ProAc D18....and listen to the TT using my newly acquired Musical Fidelity M1 HPA headphone amp, feeding music into my Grado Alessandro MS1 Pro.

But thats another review on its own.

NOTE: For all you TT lovers out there, try listening to your beloved TT via headphones. Its another whole new experience.

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I could almost feel the sense of anticipation and excitement just reading your post. Isn't vinyl wonderful? I would also tend to agree with you regarding the so called remasters and newer vinyl not always sounding better than the originals from way back. I have 2 Joan Armatrading and Tracy Chapman albums from the 80's that sound more dynamic and alive than my new Norah Jones and Mary Black albums. The only thing in favour of the new vinyl is the total absence of surface noise. The sole weakness in your system is undoubtedly the Nad phonostage and it sticks out like a sore thumb when looking at the rest of your equipment. You need to address this weakness as quickly as possible if you really want to hear what vinyl can offer as the rest of your system is well up to the task of doing this.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
El Hefe said:
(...) my NAD PP-3 phone pre amp. Yes, this unit somehow does not match the rest of my set up, hence it is actually now hiding behind one of the kit :).

hi El Hefe. I think your problem solved itself just-in-time. a phono preamp worth of the rest of your set up has recently surfaced:

http://www.musicalfidelity.com/products/M1-Series/M1ViNL/M1ViNL.asp

;)

Hhhhmmm....i actually already pre-ordered it since last month...but the launching seems to be delayed...:(

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts