Clearaudio Aurum Classics Woods V2A MM Cartridge

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Would this be a good cartridge to use with my Rega Planar3 and RB300 Tonearm? Does anyone know if I would need to fit spacers to the tonearm for it to fit right?

Or is a £240.00 Cartridge (although I can get it brand new for £160.00), bit of an overkill for a Planar 3?

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Jason - this is an excellent cartridge. A little more expensive than one might choose for this turntable but given you can get one for £160, you'll be able to enjoy much of its sound with the current t/t and can always take the cartridge "with you" if you decide the upgrade to a better turntable in future.

It'll fit without the need for spacers - just make sure to properly align and set the counterweight as normal with a new cartridge.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
audioaffair:

Jason - this is an excellent cartridge. A little more expensive than one might choose for this turntable but given you can get one for £160, you'll be able to enjoy much of its sound with the current t/t and can always take the cartridge "with you" if you decide the upgrade to a better turntable in future.

It'll fit without the need for spacers - just make sure to properly align and set the counterweight as normal with a new cartridge.

Thanks for that mate,

How would it differ from the Elys 2 cartridge....would it be an increase in detail retrieval.

And that is a good point that I could take the new cartridge onto a new TT if I decide to upgrade at some point in the future.

A

Anonymous

The Aurum Classics Wood certainly sounds great, but I've had one for a while (bundled with the Clearaudio Emotion) and noticed it doesn't track brilliantly, especially on the inner grooves or worn vinyl. I don't have the audio pedigree to recommend an alternative, but I have found that, despite all its positive qualities, it will worm its way into locked grooves so often that I will be swapping it for something more co-operative as soon as finances allow.

chemical_cake:The Aurum Classics Wood certainly sounds great, but I've had one for a while (bundled with the Clearaudio Emotion) and noticed it doesn't track brilliantly, especially on the inner grooves or worn vinyl. I don't have the audio pedigree to recommend an alternative, but I have found that, despite all its positive qualities, it will worm its way into locked grooves so often that I will be swapping it for something more co-operative as soon as finances allow.

Have you checked the alignment of the arm? Mine is fine...

Anyway, back to the original question. Yes, fabulous cartridge. The sound quality is very precise and cohesive; lots of detail and digs deep in the bottom end. Highly recommended.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Decided the Clearaudio is probably a bit of an overkill on my Rega Planar 3 TT.

However not knowing how old the Elys2 cartridge is I think I would like to change this to a newer cartridge and opinion seems to be there may be better cartridges at this price range. However it is difficult to demo cartridges, especially on a Rega Planar 3 which is no longer produced.

So I have narrowed it down to two alternatives which I hope may provide excellent detail retrieval, these are:

Goldring 2100 and the Ortofon 2M Blue.

Can anyone confirm whether these would be different / better than the Elys2 (does anyone have either of these fitted to a Planar 3) and whether one is stronger than the other.......As already mentioned I would like to improve detail and hopefully achieve faster timing whilst retaining a strong bass / mid and treble mix.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Hi, Jason36, just spotted this thread, and wondered how you ended up? My DV10x4 needs replacing, on my 1983 Planar 3/R200, and was thinking along similar lines to yourself.

The Clearaudio Aurum has been suggested, in wood or aluminium, and while it's a touch more than my budget, might be worth pushing the boat out for?

I'm also looking at the Denon 110, or the Elys, for the same reasons as yourself.

Too many choices.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Jason36 said:
Can anyone confirm whether these would be different / better than the Elys2 (does anyone have either of these fitted to a Planar 3) and whether one is stronger than the other.......As already mentioned I would like to improve detail and hopefully achieve faster timing whilst retaining a strong bass / mid and treble mix.

I have been working for 18 months on upgrading my Rega TT, I have gone much further than you probably want to. However, my first changes made improvements very much in line with your wishes. These upgrades will work on any cartridge you may choose:

1 Rega White Drive Belt £21.00

2 Metal Sub Platter £99.99 or £124.99

3 Ruby Saphire Bearing £14.99

4 Isoweight £49.99

Item 1, from a Rega stockist is a fundimental upgrade, cheap and I found as good as a PSU Rega power supply, faster timing? more accurate! but still out as almost certainly it will be runnig fast? see below.

Items 2 - 4 can be got from: Isokinetik.co.uk. Plastic sub's on Rega are known to run slightly fast 'deliberatly', so they say? Metal subs are the correct size and therefore run at the right 33.3rpm speed.

I have bangged on about these mode before, and I will do again, they are value for money, believe me, try the white belt first, it can a revelation. Ruby Saphire bearing is less important, The Isoweight stabalizes the arm, worth the money IMHO

A final point is tracking weight, I have found this affects the sound dramaticaly, slight less than slightly more . . . Problem, most seasaw ballances are not acurate enough if you want the best out of your cartridge. Digital scales are the answer, £22 to £25 on fleBay.

Non of the above is complicated or dificult to do, just requires a little thought and care, the rewards are high. Taken to the highest level you can run a £500 - £800 cartrige to good effect on your Rega 3 if you wish.

One at a time, try the White Belt befor you puchase the new cartridge, you will be suprised . . . backing off the cartridge down force by 0.1 or 0.2gs is another cheap move forward. The sea-saw guage will do for the time being . . . you will get the idea?

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts