Cleaning Records....Use some glue?

mushroomgod

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Well, Iv bought a few Lps of ebay, one inparticular was in pretty bad shape, so I did a seach online and gave it a quick dunk and a clean in the sink...Sounds great now - a few pops/crackles left but much better than what it was.

But in my seaching I found this, wondering what you more knowledgeable people might think?

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99837

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Buy a knosti disco antistat simples. I use wood glue quite a lot ( not on my vinyl ) its bloody messy stuff. I wouldnt bother if i were you.

A

Anonymous

Ask yourself this question: does it seem like a good idea to smother you records in glue?

That said, experiments in DIY methods of cleaning your vinyl would make a great magazine feature. Eds?

mushroomgod

May 25, 2009
Visit site
tractorboy:
Ask yourself this question: does it seem like a good idea to smother you records in glue?

That said, experiments in DIY methods of cleaning your vinyl would make a great magazine feature. Eds?

well, I know it sounds bonkers, but PVA will not bond to plastics/vinyls. So unless theres a chemical reaction the PVA it seems like a good idea. Not saying its ideal (messy and might take a while to dry) but if its able to lift 90% + dirt/greese without any abrasive contact surly thats a good thing?

Obviosly - super glue, araldite and epoxies are a big fat NO NO!

idc

I found this and thought it would look nice here...

vLzLK.jpg

EDIT - that is my 5000th post and my first on the turntable section.

A

Anonymous

They're talking about the white acrylic glue so yes, in theory it should work.

If you use epoxy, however, it's arguable whether the cost of the glue you've just wasted is greater than or equal to that of the record you've just destroyed.

scene

Whether or not the PVA glue works, I'm not sure about the cleaning being done on the turntable, like in the photos! I hate to think how much damage it could do to the t/t if it oozes off the record... (Try explaining that to your insurance company...)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts