Cleaning fluids

spl84

Jul 17, 2023
Visit site
I plan to acquire a vacuum style cleaning machine pretty soon as I currently have no cleaning solution for my growing record collection and some of them are getting a little grimy. I would simply like to know what are some of the best cleaning fluids to use with these machines? I assume they are pretty similar but I also know that there are many different formulations and brands out there. So what are your favorites? What are the best to use with this type of machine? Thanks

Reactions: Revolutions

spl84

Jul 17, 2023
Visit site
Thanks, does anyone have experience with any of the Project RCMs? They look like nicely built machines and they aren't too expensive. I would love to have an ultrasonic machine but I just feel like I can't justify spending that kind of money atm...

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Thanks, does anyone have experience with any of the Project RCMs? They look like nicely built machines and they aren't too expensive. I would love to have an ultrasonic machine but I just feel like I can't justify spending that kind of money atm...
I've had one for several years but I've yet to actually use it. They do seem well made and get good reviews. There was a guy on the Wam forum who actually built ultrasonic cleaners to order for not much more than the Project RCM.

RobSys

Jul 22, 2022
Visit site
I have the Pro-Ject Audio VC-E Compact Vinyl Record Cleaning Machine which works very well in conjunction with their Wash It Cleaning Concentrate. It certainly cleans records thoroughly and does a reasonable job of neutralising static. I also use Groove Washer G2 fluid before playing a record followed with a Milty Zerostat 3 anti-static gun. And I still get some static pops and clicks...! :rolleyes:

Revolutions

I have the Pro-Ject Audio VC-E Compact Vinyl Record Cleaning Machine which works very well in conjunction with their Wash It Cleaning Concentrate. It certainly cleans records thoroughly and does a reasonable job of neutralising static. I also use Groove Washer G2 fluid before playing a record followed with a Milty Zerostat 3 anti-static gun. And I still get some static pops and clicks...! :rolleyes:
Wow, I feel thoroughly shamed. My records get a wipe with a felt brush before playing. If it’s fairly noisy I’ll give it a spray with whatever is in the cleaning kit spray & a wipe with a micro fibre cloth. And if that doesn’t help, it gets a more intensive wipe with washing up liquid over the sink.

daytona600

LADS used for 20years with good results with a Loricraft
20odd quid for a wee bottle but diluted makes enough to clean 100s of records

Vacuum Rcm Belt & Braces
1st clean with cleaning fluid , Then rinse with distilled water ( use 2 brushes )
Apply cleaning fluid and leave to soak if records are dirty , no need to scrub , ideally forward / reverse rotations
NEW records must be cleaned before playing not just old records
After cleaning pop into new inners / outers , ideally PAT tested or Archival Tested
Cleaning fluids with Alcohol or Non alcohol , used non alcohol for decades like LADS records do not like harsh chemicals

If you do not care about your records & slightly mad, wash in a sink with tap water , washing machine , home brew cleaning solutions , PVA glue , cheap inner/outers & never store records in PVC sleeves

Records correctly cleaned & stored will last for a 100years
Clean records sound better , Banish static , ticks/pops & your stylus will last much longer
db772683d43611ecf542cb227414e942.jpg

Last edited:

spl84

Jul 17, 2023
Visit site
Only ever had fingers on the outside edges of my vinyl.
Kept in Nagaoka 102 ant-static sleeves, but, in 40+ years, never had more than a carbon fibre brush on them.....yet the best of the 45rpm 12" singles sound indistinguishable from the CD versions.
What? hopefully they sound better than the cds :p Seriously though, I kind of feel the same way about new vinyl, but for sure old pre owned records benefit from a good wet cleaning. The before and after results are pretty clear on that. I've never tried cleaning new records that sound good to my ears. Alot of "experts" claim that they are filthy from the pressing plant. To me I've always felt like if they sound good, why bother? I will say that I have seen some brand new records that have a visible greasy film of some sort on them that could be removed. Even if the cleaning results in no audible difference but it preserves my stylus then I'm all for that.

Revolutions

camcroft

Gray

When everyone here mentioned their special mixes, I always assumed IPA was beer. I don’t drink so figured I’d just buy some proper fluid. Went with the folks below & finally learnt that it isn’t India Pale Ale 🤣

Terrible logo but lovely service & a nice simple guide to cleaning vinyl with your deck & cotton wool pads:
When I was a 'boy' I went into a chemist and asked if they sold alcohol.
"What do'ya want that for" he said, with a scowling face.

I should have said "to drink of course, what do you think?" 🙂
Going by the smell, it wouldn't take long to have an effect.

I used it on tape heads and for general cleaning, but never for vinyl cleaning.
And I haven't tried drinking it yet.....but with that upcoming budget, it might help.

spl84

Jul 17, 2023
Visit site
When I was a 'boy' I went into a chemist and asked if they sold alcohol.
"What do'ya want that for" he said, with a scowling face.

I should have said "to drink of course, what do you think?" 🙂
Going by the smell, it wouldn't take long to have an effect.

I used it on tape heads and for general cleaning, but never for vinyl cleaning.
And I haven't tried drinking it yet.....but with that upcoming budget, it might help.
I don't think I would ever use alcohol on vinyl. It just seems to dry things out too much. Vinyl is pretty soft as evidenced by how easily they scratch. To me alcohol just seems a bit too harsh. The manual that came with my RCM actually recommends adding isopropyl alcohol to the cleaning fluid to extend it. I've seen what pure alcohol can do to a surface and I don't want it on my records period. I see no reason to do it. Using a cleaning fluid followed by a water rinse works wonders.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

cleaning fluid will clean but can do nothing for pits and scratches on vinyl.
That's where digitising 😱 vinyl comes into its own.
I found that blanket click removal adversely affected the HF but...
There's something very satisfying about zooming right in to see (unmissable) clicks on the waveform....then obliterating them.
Because you're so zoomed in, you take out the click and leave the music intact.

Takes a while, especially if there are several clicks.
If your vinyl track isn't available on CD or streaming.....you may scoff at digitising vinyl, but there's your choice; make it listenable, or store unlistenable vinyl.

TRENDING THREADS